Stupid question (asap please) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Stupid question (asap please)

Ok I may sound REALLY stupid here but I need some help.

I have a marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and a JCM900 Cab (1960A)

the back has (2) 8 ohm outs and one 16ohm out. Which do i use? I lost the instruction manual and Im playing my first gig tomorrow and dont want to screw anything up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 06:40 PM

I'm not an expert, but I think it means, that you can plug 2 cabs with an impedance (sp?) at 8 Ohms each or 2 8 ohms cabs that are connected to each other in a row, which would make the impedance of these two cabs 16 Ohms, if I remember correctly. Can anyone else help this guy out? I'm not too sure...

Fabe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 08:45 PM

with the dsl100 you can have 2 cabs in stereo on 8 ohms each
or 1 cab at 16 ohms
or 1 cab at 4 ohms

i think 4 ohms is louder than 16 ohms

just remember to have the right output to input

the back has two 8 or 4 ohm outputs(use the switch to choose)
and a 16 ohm output

the cab has a 16 ohm input(which is also the 8 ohm right input)
and a 4 ohm input (also 8 ohm left)
the cab has a switch for mono or stereo
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the third eye
with the dsl100 you can have 2 cabs in stereo on 8 ohms each
There's only one power section so no matter how many cabs you connect you will still have mono only.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 03:04 AM

yeah you're right

but if you're using 2 cabs you still have to switch it to stereo on the 1960
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 12:31 PM

You don't have to switch it to stereo. That switch splits the amp into two independent pairs of speakers. Think of it as two conjoined 2x12 hm cabs.

When using a JCM2000-series head with two JCM1960-series cabinets (the standard 300w capacity versions), your option is really to switch the amp to hms and run the amps speaker outs (the ones used for 8 or 4 ohms-the middle and right) each to the 16Ohm input of the cabs and the cabs should be seitched to mono.

The JCM1960 cabs are either 4 or 16 Ohm when switched to mono. Depending on how you are running the head will determine which jack on the back of the cab to use as each jack is labled. Switching to stereo splites each side to an hm resistance. Your stereo choices are:

1. two separate heads with an hm output
2. a stereo-output amp or power amp that runs hms per side
3. switching a mono amp with two speaker outs to the 4Ohm mode and running a speaker cable to each input jack of the amp. (this is just a waste of a speaker cable and isn't stereo if the amp isn't stereo. this would give you the same result as switching the cab to mono and using one cable into the 4Ohm jack.)

Mike 777 Haug
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 02:22 AM

yeah that's right i forgot to say you can run things through a higher impedence(8ohms out to 16 in)

Tags
ohm cab , ohm output , power amp , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode