suggestions for a combo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

suggestions for a combo

I'm in the market for a combo that I can use w/ my 4x12 cab if I want.
Looking for something w/ alot of gain for Liquid Tension/ Van Halen_balance type of music.

I'm thinking the 5150 combo but hear its a little noisy.
I hear the Legacy is great but probably not heavy enough distortion.

Open to any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:27 AM

Re: suggestions for a combo

Laney VC-50?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 AM

I have a Soldano Astroverb.

1x12, 20watts, 1 channel, no effects, no effects loop. just plug in, turn up and play. Sounds really good. Never tried using it with a 4x12 so I am not sure if that's possible or not.

For some the lack of features are a drawback, for others an advantage. Not sure if it would have enough distortion for you though.

If you're rolling in it you could try the Cornford Hellcat combo, I am scared to try one as I fear for my credit card / marriage.

Engl Screamers look cool, I have never tried one.

Darren

Last edited by Dazza1004; 09-30-2005 at 04:36 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:20 AM

yeah, I recommend a Laney VC50 as well
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spro007
I'm in the market for a combo that I can use w/ my 4x12 cab if I want.
Looking for something w/ alot of gain for Liquid Tension/ Van Halen_balance type of music.

I'm thinking the 5150 combo but hear its a little noisy.
I hear the Legacy is great but probably not heavy enough distortion.

Open to any suggestions!
most high gain tube amps will be noisy - just a fact of life. the new JSX has a noise gate built in to combat the problem. i miss my 5150 i had - when i used a BBE sonic maximizer with it, it was tremendously FAT.
Kustom has some new tube amps that were designed by the same guy (James Brown - yeah, that's his real name!) that designed the 5150, JSX and XXX amps from Peavey. the new amps have a very thick chunk-factor which is something i look for in an amp.
i haven't tried the Laney - i imagine they make good stuff as they have been around a long time and are still producing. if you know someone who owns or works at a music store you can contact Laney and buy one amp - you don't have to buy a whole line of amps. they are one of the only companies that will sell onesies as most other lines make you buy $5000 or more in amps to carry the line.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I definitley like the low end factor on an amp as well.

I realize your not going to get as much on a combo compared to a head but I'm thinking maybe putting it w/ a cab will make a difference.

Never heard of a Laney but I'll have to keep an eye out for one and check it out.

If I see a 5150 combo for a decent price, I'll probably just end up getting it and keep my guitar volume down between playing to keep the noise down.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 08:00 PM

price range??

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , engl screamer , music store , sonic maximizer , tube amp , tube amps , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode