Suggestions for an inexpensive tube amp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions for an inexpensive tube amp

I'm looking to pick up a small tube amp to use at home. I'd like something that has a 10"-12" speaker and under 50 watts. I have used a Vox Valvetronic in the past and thought it was pretty cool with the modeling feature but I was looking for something a little different.

Any thoughts on Bugera?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 01:33 AM
Contributor

Re: Suggestions for an inexpensive tube amp

I have a vox AC4. Don't let the 4watt fool you it can get pretty loud. It's a tube amp and it pairs well with overdrives. I'm happy with even though I mainly have it for when I don't feel like lifting one of my other amps. Mine is a 10inch speaker but they have it in 12 inch as well. Individual gain and volume control. Bass and treble knob.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:20 AM

Reviews: 15

I've been having a blast with my Orange Micro Terror. It's a hybrid (tube preamp/solid state output) but it gets plenty loud. I run it through the speaker on my Peavey amp at the moment. Soon enough I plan to give it it's own cabinet with a v30 or two.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post
I'm looking to pick up a small tube amp to use at home. I'd like something that has a 10"-12" speaker and under 50 watts. I have used a Vox Valvetronic in the past and thought it was pretty cool with the modeling feature but I was looking for something a little different.

Any thoughts on Bugera?
Bulgera's quality control is a little iffy. And, especially since they're mostly known for Peavey knockoffs that usually you can get the real thing used for less than a new Bugera, I'd steer clear.

Beyond that, it REALLY depends on the tone you're after. The good news is there are a lot of great lower wattage options on the market these days, something that even 5 years ago wasn't the case.

I'm a huge fan of the "Mesa" sound, and while they're pricy, if you like that kind of tone (think John Petrucci, though they can do a lot more than that), either a Rectoverb 25 combo or a Mark V 35 combo would be an awesome, extremely flexible amp.

Marshall has gotten into the lower wattage game lately too, if you're more of a "Marshall" sound guy - there's a DSL15 and 5 that might be worth a look.

Other than that... Fender's Blues Jr. was the first lower wattage amp that I thought did it right - 15 all-tube watts into a 12" speaker. The gain, such as there is, is mostly worthless, so this would be a great option if you want to use a distortion or OD for most of your gain, and just need a great clean channel as a platform. Peavey's Classic series is similar, and might be a bit cheaper. Speaking of, thhere's a mini EVH 5150III that I've heard a lot of good things about, if you like the "full sized" amp.

Jet City has gotten a lot of kudos for their smaller amps, as has Blackkstar. No personal experience, however.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:05 PM

Reviews: 59

There's lots of options, especially if you look used. How versatile - one trick pony? good clean for pedals? What styles of music?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 PM

It really depends on the tone you're after, whether you want high gain from the amp or plan to use pedals, etc. if money is not an issue Mesa or Friedman has fantastic options, good news is that you have a lot of options nowadays but i'd go with Orange, Peavey or Blackstar before Bugera but i also know folks who are completely happy with their Bugeras.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:54 PM

you can pick up peaveys or bugeras which are peavey clones cheap enough.

every now and then you see egnators cheap too.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 07:13 PM

what about laney lionheart?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:23 PM

Blackstar are a good bet for their HT-5 series because of the kooky way their run their power amp section - at full pelt (ie 5W) it's meant to have the breakup characteristics of a 100W amp at full pelt, and as far as I can tell they nail that sort of sound. They are voiced very similar to a vintage Marshall though, and no matter how much you tweak the EQ and the ISF (basically a voicing knob, which I believe Blackstar hold the patent for) you can't ever really nail the super-scooped-mid sound of a lot of modern American amp designs.
It does have plenty of gain on the second channel - with both gain controls maxed you get Van Halen's first album levels of distortion without a pedal, and it isn't too noisy either.
One other thing I like about the HT-5 is that it's pretty much the only 5W amp out there that has a 3-control EQ as well as pre and power amp gain controls, and an effects loop. It is a bit big and heavy for a 5 watter though, and here in the UK it's a bit expensive against the Vox AC4.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 AM

I know Iam going to get blasted for this, but the line 6 spider valve amps are very good.
The tube section was designed by bogner
and if you just ignore the preset sounds and dual in your own it's an awsome amp.
It can be very loud so playing out is no problem and also can do some very nice bedroom level playing as well.
Just for comparison I also own an original carvin legacy, a jcm800 and an original 5150.
This line 6 can hold up next to them no problem and I hate to say it but I like it better than the jcm800.
Used you can usually pick them up for around $300-350
they are deffinatly worth a look and they are really versitile so you can get alot of different tones out of them.
If i could only have one amp it would be one of these or a line 6 dt25.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman24 View Post
I know Iam going to get blasted for this, but the line 6 spider valve amps are very good.
The tube section was designed by bogner
and if you just ignore the preset sounds and dual in your own it's an awsome amp.
It can be very loud so playing out is no problem and also can do some very nice bedroom level playing as well.
Just for comparison I also own an original carvin legacy, a jcm800 and an original 5150.
This line 6 can hold up next to them no problem and I hate to say it but I like it better than the jcm800.
Used you can usually pick them up for around $300-350
they are deffinatly worth a look and they are really versitile so you can get alot of different tones out of them.
If i could only have one amp it would be one of these or a line 6 dt25.
I remember being blown away the first time I plugged into one - turned it on, fired up the clean channel, and thought, "hey, this is actually pretty awesome!" I screwed around for about ten minutes, then flipped over to the gain channel.

Nope. Still sounded like a Spyder.

If you need a platform for running pedals, though, the clean channel really was surprisingly good.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 10

The OP was looking for an inexpensive amp... and there are a couple of the Spider Bogner valve amps for sale here on CL for about $300 so that confirms that you can probably find one in your area in that price range. It's worth considering...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 10:06 PM

This!!

https://reverb.com/item/2984043-lee-...amplifier-1992
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM

I had a bugera and it was solid but way loud. they have a little 5 watt that is decent
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 05:07 PM

I have a Crate Palomino amp. It has decent cleans and takes pedals well.

Tags
tube bugera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode