Suggestions for MIDI controller? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for MIDI controller?

Hey I did a search but didn't come up with what Im looking for.

Basically I'm looking for a MIDI foot controller. I plan on using it for 2 things. To control an amp switcher, and control a G Major.

It NEEDS to be phantom powered. I would like an expression pedal built in but I can except having to add one via a 1/4 inch jack, to the board.

I basically want to go to play gigs and only have ONE cable to my board.

The smaller the better as well. Boards like the FCB1010 are just stupid huge. I would say, anything as big as a Boss GT-6 or smaller.

I dont need many functions other then to switch amp channels, and change presets on the G Major. All of which MIDI can do.

Any good suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 12:43 AM

Re: Suggestions for MIDI controller?

I think you can do that with any midi board. what amp do u have ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 01:13 AM
rgr

Phantom power will have to come from your effects unit. So, not only does the controller need to accept it, your effects need to be able to supply it. Most Rocktron units do this, I have used a Replifex and an Intellifex, you plug the power supply for the controller, a Rocktron Midi Mate in my case, into the effects unit (in addition to it's power supply), then use a 7-pin cable to the controller.

So, my suggestion is the Roctron Midi-Mate if your G-Major can send the power to it, sorry, don't know much about the G-Major.

Roger
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 11:39 AM

from what i rememebr.. i dont' think the Gmjaor has phantom power. i have also the same setup.. my midi controller is going to do the exact same thing as what yours is going to. change channels and control a gmajor. I have a mark IV though so i needed a separate unit for changing channels. the Gmajor is not sufficient for my channel changing since i have 5 used 1/4 switching jacks on my amp. also with the stories i've heard of Gmajor crashes, i didnt' want my channel switching relying on that. i bought a DMC Ground control pro and GCX audio switcher. the gcx will handle the power to the GCPro with a standard 5 pin midi cable, and will also do channel switching. you can also use 2 vol or exp pedals with the GCPro the GCX can also control any pedals (in a way, it doesn't control the pedals, but the signal route) you may want to use in future. the only problem is the price. they aren't cheap. 800 for both new you could go with a Rocktron equivalent (patchmate and midimate), but i had a lot of problems finding the patchmate. the gcpro is also a good size.. i think 11 x 15.. or somehting close to that. any yes it would be good to know what amp you and whether or not the 1/4 inch footswitch jack is mono or stereo (either way the GCX can handle it, just need a special cable. i can give more info if you need it
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

See thats what my other guitarist has. He has a Bob Bradshaw system to switch his G Force AND M-One XL in and out of his Rec Pre's signal path. I dont have the money for that!!

Recently a new unit called an "Amp Gizmo" has been released. It goes for around 300$. It is a MIDI switcher which can supply phantom power. It has 4 stereo jacks altogether. 4 switches for channels, and 4 switches for functions. All though I don't think it would really matter what you used em for.

I want to use it with a Dual Rectifier. And have the G Major in the effects loop. So I can easily switch channels,presets on the G Major, and turn the loop on and off. I could use the solo function but it only works when the loop is on, but I should be able to make a preset for that.

I'm gonna check out the Rocktron stuff. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Tags
dual rectifier , expression pedal , midi controller , midi foot , midi foot controller , rocktron midi mate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode