Suggestions Please - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Developer

Suggestions Please

Hello, I have played guitar for ages, and now I would like to start recording. I want to spend 200usd max for a usb recording interface. Any suggestions? i would like a current model, and so far i found the Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 U x2 (is this any good)

Please help, im open to all suggestions! Thanks!

Keep in mind im using a macbook pro, so it has to have a program compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Suggestions Please

The Yamaha Audograms are decent, in your price range, USB powered, phantom power, and come with Cubase.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 01:51 AM

I can't advise you on a piece of hardware thats worth a damn at that price point. But I will steer you towards Reaper as a DAW. Full featured, and they give you a full demo version for free that never expires or locks up (technically it DOES expire, but then you just void the license, it still works) and after you feel bad about all the great tools they gave you for nothing, you can purchase a legit license for only $60! I run Reaper on my crippled machine that will no longer run Logic and while it doesn't have all the sound sets and plugins Logic has, the core tools you need are present and function perfectly.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Check out the Apogee One a serious great piece of kit on a budget

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comm...udio-interface
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnoize View Post
Check out the Apogee One a serious great piece of kit on a budget

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comm...udio-interface
on a mac this is the way to go. I have one and they are excellent. Do not work on a pc though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Developer

Thanks all! I am looking for a bit more of a hardware piece, the Apogee looks nice, but its so small, im kind of skeptical, I like the line 6 series or the yamaha series. Any more suggestions? Whats the BEST unit, is the apogee still the winner?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Developer

OH ALSO, i have been doing more research, and i know i want to now record vocal and guitar, I want something i can use direct to my macbook, and through a amp if i chose to. The Apogee seems to be the best so far, but im not sure if the mic is good enough quality or if i should buy a studio mic as well. Thanks for the prompt response !
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:48 PM

You will need a pic, pre amp, monitors, software, computer, cables at the least. $200 won't even put a dent in this. I have about $15k invested in home studio equipment and barely have a bottom of the rung recording rig.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Developer

Musikron, i just want something i can record vocals and guitar... through amp or direct, I think an Apogee can do that, As for the software I can get ahold of most of it for pretty cheap. I have the computer and cables, im looking for a unit that does what i described all in one, although i am willing to spend extra for a mic later.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Reviews: 59

The Apogee is good. My only suggestion would be that if you think, down the road, you might want to record more than one or two sources at a time, it would be better to save up and get something with a more channels. If you're just looking to be a bedroom hobbyist or something to get scratch ideas on to then develop, the Apogee or the Line6 or any other offering will be fine. For 1-2 tracks, USB is fine, anything more to record simultaneously and I would recommend firewire.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM

I have been using the Line 6 UX2 for a few years now (with Cakewalk Sonar). I've had no problems what so ever with it, and it does all it claims. You'll be able to get very decent sounding recordings especially when using the included Pod Farm plugin. If you do go this route, I think the Metal Shop model pack is definitely a must.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Developer

Thanks you two,smooth any suggestions on a two channel interface i could buy for a alright price? Less upgrading=better I can spend 400 max on that, also what is the main difference between usb and firewire? my macbook pro has both...

Thanks
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:42 AM

Well, firewire can support more simultaneous tracks than usb.
If you have a mac you can't go wrong with a Motu or Apogee.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Go with the Apogee One. I have the Duet and its fantastic. I haven't tried any MOTU myself but I'm sure its great as well.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 59

For USB, I'd probably go with a Lexicon product. My friend uses an Omega and has gotten excellent results. On the firewire side of things, I'm partial to Presonus stuff since I've had good results with their Firestudio. In your price range, I'd look at the Firebox. My system is a PC so I never really considered at Apogee, but they also make great stuff and are highly thought of.

That being said, I'll defer to people who actually own these or similar for better recommendations. I use the Firestudio with the faderport, which I got used off of Craigslist for $425. If you're not averse to something used, I'm sure a little research/patient searching could produce a similarly good deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode