Sustain - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Sustain

Can someone help me to create a clean sustained guitar sound.
My setup is a Line6 Variax 700/Line6 Variax 600 and a Line6 PodXT Live. Creating a good sustain is only possible if the drive to the amp-modeller is set to a high value, but then off-course - the sound gets distorted. With the compressors and the sustainers in the Pod I could not find my desired sound so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Sustain

Start again with a real guitar,a tube amp and patience lol
Compressors on pods and things like that including g major are really crap.
Probably the worst/weak effect those things have.
I was reviewing that amp for a brazilian guitar magazine,it's really better than all pods and has sustain for life.
Listen to my audio samples.
No compressor there.
And it's under 300 usd !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f30/am...les-93657.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Sustain

Hmmmmmm, well, I can only say that getting clean natural sustain is difficult to do in general without volume. Touch and the set-up/resonance of the guitar have a lot to do with it as well. Practice on technique and precision will help but there's a mechanical side to it as well. Compression effects will help to give greater sustain (at least you'll perceive it as such) at the expense of dynamics but the nature of the digital beast is that at some point there will be an unnatural cut-off rather than a slow decay that we translate as sustain. Tube amps will naturally compress giving you sustain at higher volumes and distortion as well as sympathetic feedback will also create greater sustain, but that's not clean tone (what I think you're asking about). If you're trying to get the sustain direct out of the Pod, there's not a whole lot you can do without adding gain or volume that dirties up the tone. If you're running the pod into a power amp, upping the volume on the amp will help but eventually you'll still lose the signal when you hit the volume threshold on the processor.
As for the Spider, considering that it's made by Line6 and I'm pretty sure it's guts are similar to the Pods only fewer in models, will it really be that different than what he's already got?

Tags
guitar modelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode