Talk Box Effects - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Talk Box Effects

Yo,

Having just seen Sevillia 92, Satch, Nuno, Vai, May and Walsh (great show), I noticed during one song Walsh used some breath controler type thinggy to create an awesome wah sound, a bit like a vocoder. He had a clear tube he blew truw attached to his mic.

Anyone knows what goodie that is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 02:57 PM

It's called a Talk Box. You can see the original at www.jimdunlop.com, but DigiTech also has "The Talker" and there's one called "The Banshee", as well as one by Framptone.

I've had one for years, but just can't used to having the plastic tubing stuck in my throat while playing. Cool effect, but it definitely takes some getting used to! You can hear it on most of "Frampton Comes Alive", as well as on Joe Walshs' "Rocky Mountain Way" or Bon Jovi's "Living On A Prayer" (as well as countless other songs).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 05:50 PM

always wanted one myself....tried one, and I sounded like an absolute retard
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 05:57 PM
ns9

Hi! Yeah- I actually have one of the original Heil purple's Paid $10 for it in a pawn shop in my travels many eons ago. Only thing missing was the original tube (like I would have wanted it or used it-lol). Bit of a warning tho- supposedly it can cause tooth fillings to rattle a bit...urban legend?
Nikki
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 07:30 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: Breath controler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn
Yo,

Having just seen Sevillia 92, Satch, Nuno, Vai, May and Walsh (great show), I noticed during one song Walsh used some breath controler type thinggy to create an awesome wah sound, a bit like a vocoder. He had a clear tube he blew truw attached to his mic.

Anyone knows what goodie that is?
Although it looks like you blow down the tube that isnt actually what happens, the talk box itself has a speaker inside which basically sends the guitar sound up this tube and into your mouth, you can then shape your mouth to different vowel shapes to "speak" the notes, which can then be picked up by a mic, prime example that everyone knows is livin on a prayer by bon jovi
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 10:16 AM

Just make your own.

Get a small amp and plug a platic tube to the cone and voila!

Quite easy but like Nikki said it can rattle some tooth fillings!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:55 PM

Reviews: 1
The talk boxes use a Compression midrange driver that is mounted to the chassis, the plastic tube idea will barely be audible in a live setting.

Bamm
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:05 PM

I've heard of talkboxes, new ones, that don't require a mic at all....its got built in goodies so that its an all-in-one...der.

Anyone know about these?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:25 PM

The Digitech Talker doesn't require a seperate amp/speaker or a tube like the Dunlop/Heil Talk Box does, but you still need a microphone. Kind of hard to have a "talk box" effect if you're not doing the "talking"!

With the Dunlop/Heil Talk box, the ideal setup is as follows:

1) Connect guitar to any additional in-line FX
2) Got to input of Amp
3) Connect Amps Speaker Output to the Input of the Talk Box
4) Connect 8 Ohm Speaker/Cab to the Output of the Talk Box
5) When the Talk Box is "On", your signal goes through the tube. When it's off, it's bypassed just like any other pedal
6) Once the tube is attached, put the other end up alongside the microphone.

The effect is produced by shaping the sound that is generated by the unit itself. The tube goes into your mouth, which is in front of the mic. When the pedal is "on", your guitar signal is going through the tube. The sound that comes out depends on the shape of your mouth cavity. You don't actually SAY anything, but simply form the words/sounds in your mouth. Basically, your guitars' tone is then coming out of your mouth and into the mic.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester1234
I've heard of talkboxes, new ones, that don't require a mic at all....its got built in goodies so that its an all-in-one...der.

Anyone know about these?
the danelectro free speech is a kinda "in line" talk box in the way it has its own mics strapped to the tube which run back into the pedal and into your amp, but is known to feed back at high levels, thankfully the free speech still has standard talkbox operation.

and the digitech talker is a vocoder not a talk box.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 08:28 AM

Actually, the Digitech Talker only offers a vocoder-like effect. It IS a talk box effect with a few more settings. One of the advantages of being digital I guess. I returned mine after a weekend- it just didn't have the sound of the Heil box. TOO digital sounding.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 12:36 PM

i meant its a vocoder by the way you actually have to speak into the mic like you would with a vocoder, and i meant talk box by the tube in the mouth, vowel shaped thing, sorry for the confusion

Tags
ohm speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode