Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: A Mile High (USA)
The Digitech Talker doesn't require a seperate amp/speaker or a tube like the Dunlop/Heil Talk Box does, but you still need a microphone. Kind of hard to have a "talk box" effect if you're not doing the "talking"!
With the Dunlop/Heil Talk box, the ideal setup is as follows:
1) Connect guitar to any additional in-line FX
2) Got to input of Amp
3) Connect Amps Speaker Output to the Input of the Talk Box
4) Connect 8 Ohm Speaker/Cab to the Output of the Talk Box
5) When the Talk Box is "On", your signal goes through the tube. When it's off, it's bypassed just like any other pedal
6) Once the tube is attached, put the other end up alongside the microphone.
The effect is produced by shaping the sound that is generated by the unit itself. The tube goes into your mouth, which is in front of the mic. When the pedal is "on", your guitar signal is going through the tube. The sound that comes out depends on the shape of your mouth cavity. You don't actually SAY anything, but simply form the words/sounds in your mouth. Basically, your guitars' tone is then coming out of your mouth and into the mic.