TC Electronics G-system or Digitech GSP1101 - thoughts? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

TC Electronics G-system or Digitech GSP1101 - thoughts?

I am changing my old Johnson Millenium with a Engl Powerball head (almost 100% sure about this) and need to get the effects in place.

What I really like with both the G-system and the GSP1101 is that they let you put compression, wah etc.. in front of the Powerballs preamp - and then the chorus, reverb, delay etc.. after the Powerballs preamp. (I don't want a huge rack setup. As little equipment as possible in addition to the amp.)

But then there are differences (as I understand from reading about them):

GSP1101 pros:
Easy to set up and use.
Has built in amp simultations (for easy home recording - this is not very important)
Preserves the tone of the Powerball

GSP1101 cons:
Need a midi foot controller in adition
No relays - would need a separate midi-relay to control chanel switching on the Powerball

G-system pros:
The relays to control chanel switching on the Powerball
Comes with a solid foot controller
Power supplies and loops for pedals

G-system cons:
Harder to make initial set-up
Expensive
Some coloring of the tone? (but if Steve Vai uses it - it should be good enough for me - right?)

I am pretty sold on the G-system idea, but would like to hear from people who have tried one or both of these systems. Is there other things than what I've mentioned that I need to consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 AM

Re: TC Electronics G-system or Digitech GSP1101 - thoughts?

I've found the G-System to be pretty transparent to be honest. I used a rocktron Xpression before, and that's mean to be one of the most transparent processors, and moving to the G-System did nothing but improve my sound.

Its a little complicated at first, but once you work out how the interface is set up, its easy. Its FAR easier than the fx options on the Xpression.

The only thing i dont like about it is the pedal loops. They add a little noise to the signal, too much for me so i dont use them. If you really want it with pedals loops, i'd suggest getting a loop switcher to do it for you (which is what i intend to do soon).

The build quality is excellent, and the ability to switch effects on and off on the fly is great (much easier than just using a midi controller in bank mode).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 18

The only other suggestion I would throw in the mix would be the GT-Pro. The only downside to it is that you would need a foot controller for it but, it would definitely meet your requirements as far as controlling channel switching on your amp and offering you loops for external effects and such.

Jimmy
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

AirGuitar - that sounds really good. I really like the G-system consept.

Jimmy - I'm sure the GT-Pro is a really good piece - but to be honest - just looking at it and reading about it does not make me want it. Nothing special - I just don't get the "vibes"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Reviews: 26

i think the g system is the top of the range equipment at the moment.. i haven't got the chnce to try it yet but ive seen the video form tC website.. this thing is cool for it could do to ehance ur sound n playing.. im also a Gmajor owner and i think for wat it does in gmajor the G system does it better.. n G system is about flexibility too.. but here in Aussie this babe is playing hard to get heheh ( pricey and limited) but i thnk the GSP 1101 for the look of it,is quite good aswell but u still hve to spend extra for the FC.. i mean digitech does some serious sound processors. although im not a big fan of them .. but lately they are doin well.. and i might be getting the GSP soon in the future..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM

Reviews: 1

I owned one, and I sent it back, there were too many issues for me to bother keeping it. It had a tendancy to increase the overall noise floor along with not the most intuitive device I've ever used and I'm pretty well versed in all manor of effect systems.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
I owned one, and I sent it back, there were too many issues for me to bother keeping it. It had a tendancy to increase the overall noise floor along with not the most intuitive device I've ever used and I'm pretty well versed in all manor of effect systems.
not sure if i missed it, but which unit are you referring to? I am considering a G-System as well.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 04:00 PM

He means the G-System, but if you just use it in the effects loop, and ignore the input section of the G-System, you wont get any noise issues at all. Granted, you loose out of the looping features then though. I like mine so much ive just gone and bought an Axess Electronics GRX-4 looper, and I'll just set the G-System to send CC commands to the GRX-4 via the loop switches instead .
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitar View Post
He means the G-System, but if you just use it in the effects loop, and ignore the input section of the G-System, you wont get any noise issues at all. Granted, you loose out of the looping features then though. I like mine so much ive just gone and bought an Axess Electronics GRX-4 looper, and I'll just set the G-System to send CC commands to the GRX-4 via the loop switches instead .
You may as well just buy a G-force then.
It looks impressive, overall (the G-system) but there are a number of issues to be sorted out, sadly. I really wanted mine to do what I needed, it just isn't 100% yet. IF I had the time and $ I could've hired Thomas Nordegg or Mark Snyder, but even then, how realistic is that?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
You may as well just buy a G-force then.
It looks impressive, overall (the G-system) but there are a number of issues to be sorted out, sadly. I really wanted mine to do what I needed, it just isn't 100% yet. IF I had the time and $ I could've hired Thomas Nordegg or Mark Snyder, but even then, how realistic is that?

What I love about the G-System is the pedalboard, and the fact i dont need a rack, its all contained by my feet. I did consider a G-Force, but i really didnt like any of the pedalboards i checked out nearly as much as the G-System.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Just an update on my thoughts on this subject. I'm now leaning toward buying a Engl Invader and a Engl Z9 midi foot switch. Then I can add whatever effect processor I'd like which is midi controlled (probably the GSP1101) and have both the simplicity and flexibility that I'm after.

Doing it this way enables me to push one button on the floor to change channel on the amp - and at the same time change preset on the effect processor - exactly what I'm after.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM

There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.
There are lots of switching systems out there.
Show us pics when you're done
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 AM

I've had the G-Force, G-System, G-Major and many others...

I wouldn't trade my GSP1101 for any of them.
It's the best piece of gear I've bought in a long time.

If you get a GSP1101 along with the Behringer FCB1101 midi controller, it has two switching jacks on it to allow you to switch channels on the head; plus two CC pedals (I have mine set up for volume and wah or vol+whammy depending on the patch). <The G-System doesn't come with CC pedals>

The good thing about the GSP1101 is that you can disable the preamp section of it and use the Powerball's tone (which is the head that I most regret parting with> -- on the other hand, the good thing is that you can enable the preamp section for some patches if need be (it's nice to have that ability to go from your head's tone to another totally different tone with the switch of a channel.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for that information JiMoSity. I was very curious as if you could do that (use the GSP preamp for some patches), in fact so much that I contacted Digitech to find out. But I think maybe they misunderstood the question or something (maybe I did not explain very well?). Here's the question and answer:

Q: If my guitar preamp is used in the GSP1101 loop - mainly using the GSP for effects only - is it possible to have one or more midi preset where the GSP uses one of the built in amp simulators and omits the preamp loop?

A: The amp modeling is part of the GSP1101 preamp so the answer to your question is no.

I also asked if it's possible to enable speaker cab emulation on the XLR outputs only - so to use these instead of a mic in front of the 4x12 when playing live. This was not possible they told me.

Anyway - I'm really leaning towards the GSP1101 - now my main dilemma is if I should get a Powerball head - or save up to get the new 100 watt Invader head.

ps - what amp did you get when parting with the Powerball?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 AM

The correct answer to your question is absolutely, YES.
You can have one patch with the Powerball in the loop AND another patch with the Powerball out of the loop.

I haven't used the XLR connections, so I won't answer for sure if the cab simulators can be on them only and not the 1/4" outs...I'm pretty sure there's a setting relating to that, but I'm not at home right now, so I can't look.

I was using a Powerball and a Mesa Road King at the same time and since I didn't want to carry around two heads and some rack gear (tuner, effects, etc); I decided to part with my heads and go back to a full rack setup.
I absolutely LOVED the Powerball, awesome high gain AND awesome cleans.
What I use now is an Egnater M4 preamp with a VHT 2/90/2 power amp.

Here's a pic of my rack if you care to see:
http://www.americanhc.us/rack2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondulseth View Post
Thank you very much for that information JiMoSity. I was very curious as if you could do that (use the GSP preamp for some patches), in fact so much that I contacted Digitech to find out. But I think maybe they misunderstood the question or something (maybe I did not explain very well?). Here's the question and answer:

Q: If my guitar preamp is used in the GSP1101 loop - mainly using the GSP for effects only - is it possible to have one or more midi preset where the GSP uses one of the built in amp simulators and omits the preamp loop?

A: The amp modeling is part of the GSP1101 preamp so the answer to your question is no.

I also asked if it's possible to enable speaker cab emulation on the XLR outputs only - so to use these instead of a mic in front of the 4x12 when playing live. This was not possible they told me.

Anyway - I'm really leaning towards the GSP1101 - now my main dilemma is if I should get a Powerball head - or save up to get the new 100 watt Invader head.

ps - what amp did you get when parting with the Powerball?

Tags
behringer fcb , engl powerball , foot switch , johnson millenium , mesa road king , midi controller , midi foot , midi foot controller , power amp , rack setup , rocktron xpression , speaker cab , steve vai , switching systems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode