TC G-Major vs Rocktron Replifex - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
rgr

TC G-Major vs Rocktron Replifex

I'm looking at one of these processors to go with a Soldano preamp that I just picked up. Both of these have channel switching jacks so I can change channels with presets instead of having to hit another switch, cool feature, don't know why more effects don't have it, even the new Rocktron Xpression doesn't, and it is the replacement for the Replifex, go figure.

Both are supposed to be great sounding units, the Rocktron has a built in Speaker Sim, which is cool, the TC is probably a little more transparent. The biggest complaint that I have heard about the G-Major is the cheap feel and reliability issues. Rocktron stuff always seems rock solid and lasts forever, I have a bunch of it right now.

Do any of you guys use a G-Major, and if so, have you had any problems with it? I'm leaning toward a Replifex if I can find one, unless you guys convince me otherwise, but they haven't been made in a few years. I know where a used G-Major is that I can probably get pretty cheap, but again, if reliability is an issue, it's not worth it.

Thanks,
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Re: TC G-Major vs Rocktron Replifex

I have the g-major and find that it can almost do anything but am very unhappy with the toggle wheels. When I am trying to select an option it always skips menus or just goes back to the first. Annoying as hell. This is my second unit and they both had the same problem.

I think it will be the next thing I'll sell. I'd say go the Rocktron.

Sanchez
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Yeah, those are some of the problems I've been hearing, mostly about the data wheels but reading HC reviews, there seems to be quite a few that just lock up or die. I think Rocktron it is, if I can find a Replifex or Multi-Valve at a decent price. For now I'll stick with my Intellifex, great unit but no Rotary or Speaker sims, and no switching jack.

Thanks,
Roger
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 AM

Reviews: 1

I created a slick rotoary speak effect with my ART SG MACH II ( I Have a Replifex too)
The replifex is ok, but doesn't quite nail the leslie sound like the art does for some weird reason.
I use the rep more than the ART anyway, but I thought I'd share, there are some great tones you can nab from the SGEs.

Bamm
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez
I have the g-major and find that it can almost do anything but am very unhappy with the toggle wheels. When I am trying to select an option it always skips menus or just goes back to the first. Annoying as hell. This is my second unit and they both had the same problem.
Ditto with the toggle wheels being a pain, but I've learned to live with it. I set my patches up years ago and rarely have occaision to alter the effects settings, but it is frustrating when I do. Other than that it is a fantastic system.
Algiman is online  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
rgr

Thanks Bamm, do those have a switching jack?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 02:22 PM

Reviews: 1

The SGE's? No, sadly, but between the replifex and SGE I can nail most of the tones I'm aiming for. I had the Intellifex online for a while, and sold it. THe one HUGE thing I loved it for was the ducking delay, VERY handy.
The Intellifex ONLINE has a switching jack, so if you find an SGE (usually no more than 150 and that is with a Midi pedal thrown in) you can have the best of both worlds. I have a continiuous controller that controls the rate of the leslie effect so it sounds pretty convincing. I've had guys ask me where the leslie box was hiding and how I got midi control wired to it. I was a proud papa at that point.

If you opt in, let me know and I'll send you all my patches. I also have a pretty good Hendrix live tone (use your own distortion) with the swirling vibro sound.

Bamm

Last edited by bammbamm; 08-01-2005 at 03:50 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
rgr

Cool, didn't know that about the Intellifex Online. For Hendrix-y vibe stuff I use a Guyatone PS3, I bought it and a Voodoo labs Micro-Vibe at the same time, I took the Micro Vibe back, the PS3 sounded as good or better. The Intellifex takes care of my chorus and delay fine, so the Online would work out well. Right now I'm running a TU-2 tuner, Killer Wail wah, MIJ SD-1, Vintage Rat, PS3 into a Soldano SP-77 preamp, Intellifex, BBE 482i, and a MosValve 962. If the rack processor switched the preamp it would be sweet. I use a Midi Mate for control so I can set up the lower 5 buttons for patches and the upper 5 buttons for switching effects on and off in the Intellifex, or changing delay times, chorus rates, etc...

Thanks for the info!

Roger
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
rgr

I just checked the manual at rocktron.com for the Intellifex Online, it doesn't have a switching jack. The Multi-Valve does, it was the updated Replifex, with a tube added. So, it's back to one of those two. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be the only one looking for them, they still go for decent money on da bay.

Roger

Tags
midi pedal , rocktron xpression , voodoo lab , voodoo labs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode