Tech 21 Trademark 60 VS Line 6 Flextone - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Tech 21 Trademark 60 VS Line 6 Flextone

I'm looking for a good, solid, reliable, and most importantly, both good-sounding and versatile amp, and I've narrowed it down to these two. Anyone have any experience with these, or have any other suggestions?
These amps will mainly be used for jazz (hence the solid state) but I need tube emulation for when I need a good amp for rock, blues, and especially fusion when I don't feel like lugging around my V3.
Thanks all.
Smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

Re: Tech 21 Trademark 60 VS Line 6 Flextone

Be sure to check out the Vox Valvetronix. I don't really like the Line 6 amps at all. The Valvetronix sound pretty darn good. Worth a listen before you buy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Good point. I've played on a couple and liked them, so I'll add it to the list, but the Line 6 and Tech 21 seem to be of higher quality.
Smitty
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

I'm adding the Carvin SX series to the list too. The sound clips sound great (as do the Tech 21 and Line 6) but we all know how that can change when it comes to the real thing. Any experience with any of the 3?
Smitty
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Banned

The Line 6 Flextone sounds good at bedroom levels. But like most line 6 stuff, falls apart at window shaking levels. I also had a Rocktron Taboo Twin. I like it a lot better than the Flextone. And about as much as the Valvetronix.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:30 AM

For what you're doing, definitely the Tech-21.

Personally, I prefer the Trademark-30, as it has a different preamp than the 60. It's a lot higher gain, and can get into some serious metal territory. The 60, meanwhile, is lower gain, but is also one of the most organic souinding (and feeling) solid state amps I've ever played. One of the best SRV tones I've ever heard came from one of those and a stock Mexi strat I picked up in a music shop one day.

It won't do uber-high-gain, but it sounds like you don't need that, just rich cleans, smooth leads, and some good rock-y crunch or growl. The Tech-21 excells at that stuff.

It's also WAY lighter than a comparable tube rig, lol.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good man. So it lives up to its sound clips? Cuz those were freakin AMAZING.
Smitty
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 02:12 PM

The thing that really blew me away with the Tech-21 PSA pre clips was not that they were recorded direct, but that they were recorded direct with a Yamaha Pacifica 112. Stock. I don't know if you've ever played one, but that was my first guitar, and I don't remember what my parents paid for it (it was a Christmas present) but I think that and a Crate practice amp was less than $300.

If you want to hear some of the stuff I've done with one, most of the stuff on my myspace page was one of my Mesas, but "Windowpane Demo" was the brit mode on a Trademark 30 (which is a lot gainier than the 60) for rhythm and leads, and I think for the cleans as well - I forget. If marshalls really sounded that good, I'd own one. The feel wasn't quite as responsibe as a good tube rig, but it was good enough to keep me inspired.

http://www.myspace.com/drewpeterson7
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good man!
Smitty
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I've just decided that the Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight is exactly what I'm looking for. Even the overdrive channel is really good, apparently. Anyone own one or know of any sound clips/videos, because I can't find any.
Smitty
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Reviews: 12

Tech 21 amps sound great.

Tags
practice amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , versatile amp , vox valvetronix , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode