Tech21/SanSamp - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Talking Tech21/SanSamp

So.. I got a kickass guitar.. but I got a Big Muff Pi which is useless for my style of metal + all strange stuff.. and I remembered a long time ago my friend had a Tech21 Trademark 60. Now, I don't want to buy an amp (the Trademark 10 for example) as I want to go around with it. But I'm having a diffuculty deciding... I'm watering around the areas of a Gt-2 or a Tri-A.C. But which one should I go for? And what's the big difference besides the programmable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Re: Tech21/SanSamp

What exactly do you want to do with it? Record? Use it as a stompbox? A preamp?

I believe the Gt-2 is considered to be better sounding than the Tri-AC, it's not that good as a preamp for gigs though. I liked the sounds I got from a TM10 a lot, and it is basically the Gt-2 in an amp format. I didn't like the Tri-AC I tried all that much. If you have no need for having 3 tones available at any given time, I would go with the Gt-2.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 AM

Having owned a TM10 (basically a GT2 with a power amp/speaker), I'd highly recommend the GT2 provide you don't need multiple tones at the same time. My biggest frustration with the TM10 at the time was that there was no channel switching capability. So if you only care about one tone at a time, the GT2 should be fine.

You may also want to check out the Behringer GDI-21 ( http://www.behringer.com/GDI21/index.cfm?lang=ENG ), which appears to be a rip-off of the G2 for about $35. I would've been skeptical about it, but I recently bought a BDI-21 and ADI-21 (basically ripoffs of the Sansamp Bass DI and Acoustic DI) and have been extremely impressed by them!!

--B
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:11 PM

I have tried both and I have a TRI AC now.

Actually, the TRI AC's amp sim sounds better than the GT2, which sounds a little flat.

Main difference between the TRI AC and GT2 would be the voicing. The GT2 is more modern voiced while the TRI AC is vintage. The GT2 is a monster on gain, IMO, no need for boost pedals to achieve crushing death metal gain, and of course, it can do clean, jazz, blues and so on... However, its forte is heavy gain or modern tones.

The TRI AC is vintagey and has little gain compared to the GT2... you need to have a booster pedal to get anywhere close to a tight metal tone. However, it does blues rock and jazz VERY VERY well. Its more responsive/tube-like than the GT2 IMO... and you can get metal tones out of it with a TS9.

In a Live Application, both can plug straight to the PA or whatever amp is there, so you don't need to bring an amp. The TRI AC wins hands down for versatility: you got 3 sounds to play with while the GT2 only has 1 (on/off).

I decided to get the TRI AC because I wanted 3 tones and no amp. I lug around my pedalboard now, and I have the TRI AC set to clean, crunch and heavy. Throw in a ts9 for breakup, heavy blues and metal.

But if you want hi gain stuff, go for the GT2. Btw, the GT2 to the TRI AC to speakers sound ridiculously heavy!!!

Check the sound samples on www.tech21nyc.com to get a better idea of this vintage/modern voicings i described... their sound samples are accurate.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 12:11 PM

Eh, its you authur! hahaha... okay, didn't really read properly... anyway, you can drop by my place in Tampines to try out the TRI AC. Just PM me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

oOooOo.. haha hey shredcows again! why don't they just make a GT2 with switching capabilities! =P oh well can't always have what you want.. BUT if what shredcows said was true that there is more gain on a GT2.. I'm probabyl gonna get that.. geez.. i should have bought it instead of a Big muff. But the Behringer sounds cool.. I'm gonna go check that out!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

oh shredcows, thanks for offer bro. but i dont want to show my shi**y skills around. haha i'm serious. I still need to get good.

Tags
boost pedal , death metal , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode