Tell us about your set-up (guitar gear) - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:10 AM

Re: Tell us about your set-up (guitar gear)

It is more amp-like, but there is still a lot it does and a software interface would be beneficial. I hate to having to dig on a piece of gear to change things. Im sure I've even had amps I just turned on and used without ever touching a knobs, except the volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:13 AM

Guitars

Ibanez S5520K Limited Austrailian Blackwood
Ibanez S6570Q - Blue
Ibanez PWM100 - Ash body

Amp:

EVH 5150III EL34 50 Watt head
EVH EL34 2X12 Cab

Effects

Gator XL Tour pedalboard with:
Hardwire Tuner
Soulpress Wah/Volume pedal
Boss Compressor
Boss Noise Suppressor
MXR 10 band EQ
Line 6 M13

Think that's about it.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Pretty cool thread. It is interesting to see what equipment others use. As for me, I have a few setups for the different bands/projects I am involved with:

80s thrash band:

Guitars:
Ibanez PL 2660CI with BK warpigs.
Ibanez 540P II with BK warpigs.
Ibanez XV500BE with BK warpigs.

Amps/Cabs:
ENGL Savage 120.
Mesa Boogie Recto 2x12 and 4x12.
Marshall 1960B 4x12.

Effects:
Boss TU2
Dunlop EVH95 wah
ISP decimator
MXR EVH90 phase
Boss DD-3 delay
Boss ES-5 switcher

Rock Opera Project

Guitars: Various, mostly Ibanez and Charvel

Amps/Cabs:
Rivera KR7 - custom
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with Euro tubes high gain kit
Mesa Boogie Road ready 4x12 with EV speakers
VHT 4x12

Effects:
Bad Horsie Wah
Boss TU2
Digitech original whammy
MXR EVH90 phase
Boss DD-3 delay

Practice/Musicals/Cover band

Guitars:
Various, mostly Ibanez, Fender, and Godin

Amps/Cabs:
Fractal Audio AX-FX Ultra with FCB1010
Depending on application either Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier rack mount or Yamaha powered monitors
VHT 2x12

Outboard effects:
None
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:15 PM

Beat to **** RG570 through a Spider 2. Killer setup.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:08 PM

nothing but a TS9 mini goes to the katana head.

I have to say being old school , I hate this milenial amps , where need to download patches and sh1ts before it sounds good.
No, I don't even do that on my katana, I'm just using the factory preset ( with TS9 always on). Somehow to lazy to drag my laptop and do that.
The katana goes to randall 1x12 with V30.

I hope next year I will get a real tube amp (again), being watch the HK grandmeister 40 deluxe lately.

Btw, the reason why I bought the katana because my laney IRT studio was dying.
I was hoping that the katana would sounds good right on, and i was wrong.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:52 AM

Since I'm just a spare bedroom player, I settled in on a small inexpensive setup that is pretty versatile and works good for me:

Guitars - old 540S, RG520QS, JS1200, '76 LP, SZ320, but main player is an old Roadstar II neck on a strat body.

Signal - Boss ME-80 as the front end, run into the fx return of a Blackstar HT-5R w/V30 in a 1x12 cabinet.

Also have a PC with a Focusrite 2i2 and Audiotechnica AT2020 mic and Vestax studio monitors for recording (Reaper). PC line outs go to an old school stereo system for jamming with songs I know or backing tracks (90% of what I do for fun/practice).

Lots of pedals I never use anymore... except a Digitech Trio occasionally if I come up with a cool riff I want to play with.

Last edited by FireEagle; 11-29-2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 PM

Amp: Soldano SLO100 - putting a perma grin on my face since the day it arrived in 2005.

Effects: TC Gmajor 2 in SLO loop for some occasional delay or chorus and to switch channels on the SLO with the relay function. I use a Behringer midi pedal to control the patch changes on the Gmajor.

Guitar goes into a Boss TU3 tuner, then into a Digitech Whammy DT (primarily used to drop or raise tunings for some songs my band plays), then into a Morley Bad Horsie II, then into an Ibanez TS-9 (used for extra kick for solos), and finally through a Boss NS2 noise suppressor and then straight to the amp.

Cab is an old ADA split stack 212 or a Marshall 1960A 412,,,,all loaded with Eminence V128 legend speakers, which are amazing with the SLO.

My guitars are either a Jem 7VWH, Jem 77VBK, or Jem 77BRMR.
tobe likes this.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:17 PM

I'm another Fractal user. I have two Axe FX II's & one Axe FX III. I play the Axe FX II's into Matrix FR10 & FR12. The Axe FX III I play thru an ATOMIC CLR NEO MK II.
I still own a dozen amps, a box load of pedals & a Digitech RP1000 effects pedal. Rarely power those amps any more. Some of the pedals I use with my keyboards instead.
Using a modeler (Axe FX or others) means with a simple turn of a knob I can go from a Fender amp sound to a Marshall to a Engl to 5150 to many many others. on the Axe FX you have the same identical controls as on the actual amp. A few more buttons and can access dozens of effects: distortion, Fuzz, Delay, Reverb, Echo, etc.s again with the same controls as the originals.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The main thing that puts me off getting an Axe FX is that our PC is no where near my guitars and I've never been sure of what how to turn an Axe FX into a decent practice rig- power amps and speakers? Through the PC speakers? Powered cabs? The beauty of a Line 6 combo is that there's an on switch, and the noise comes out of the front just like it always has with an amp
You do not need a PC at all with an Axe FX. You need a computer to update the firmware but otherwise there are Fractal people that never use a computer. One person I know has a friend bring a laptop when he needs the firmware or to upload patches.
All you need is the Axe FX and an amp. Just like an amp & cabinet really. The amp preferably should be an FRFR so it does not color the sound. That also brings the main strength of any modeler, being that you can get the sound of many amps as well as literally over a thousand cabinets. If you use a regular guitar amp or cheapo pa speaker it colors and thereby limits the sounds.
So using the Fractal is really not much different than your current amp & effects but giving you access to almost infinite number of sounds.
Some people complain about the cost but a brand-new AXE FX III is $2250 right now and a powered FRFR speaker starts around $600. My Mesa Boogie IV cost me around $1600, Fender Twin $1200, probably anohter several thousand in other amps plus all my effects is more than an Axe FX setup. Yet with the Axe FX I have all those sounds plus many more for a fraction what I spent before. Its a bargain to me.
You can find Axe FX II XL+ for $1500 used. an Axe FX II standard for about $1000. Just stay away from Ultra's as they can't really be updated anymore.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Since I'm just a spare bedroom player...
Spare bedroom? My friend, on the internet we call that a "studio."
jono, tobe and FireEagle like this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:11 AM

DV Mark Multiamp through a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks.
I used to have a EVH 5150III 50 Watt head before that but that one was not really practical in the living room. I played through a huge 19" rack setup (mainly using an ADA MP-1 preamp and Marshall poweramp) before for many years but prefer to be able to move my gear alone these days

Cheers,
Oliver
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Spare bedroom? My friend, on the internet we call that a "studio."

I like that!! Sounds classy... The family all said it was haunted, saw black figures in there, drawers opening and closing, etc... Nobody would sleep in there, so I took over and told the ghost not to touch my guitars and everything would be cool. \m/
oliver_p likes this.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemSLO View Post
Amp: Soldano SLO100 - putting a perma grin on my face since the day it arrived in 2005.
I have always thought about getting a SLO, but worry about its versatility. My perception is that it is well suited to classic/hard rock, but may not have a suitable voicing for heavier music. This perception may be totally wrong though. What styles do you use it for? Thanks! Tobe
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

After a discussion with a friend, I thought I would share this.

My first tube amp was a Carvin Legacy 2x12 Combo. I was not ready for that amp. I eventually traded it for a VHT Pittbull Classic 45 1x12 Combo. That was a bad idea but I stuck with it. Eventually, I traded the VHT for an Eleven Rack with ProTools. That was fun! I learned a lot about how gear works from that bright orange digital modeler. I also learned I needed to know how to use a real tube amp in a meaningful and productive way. I bought a used Mesa/Boogie Roadster 2x12 Combo (103 lbs.) and that was the right amp for me at the right time. It helped me become a better player because if I played well it was rewarding. If I played poorly, it was not forgiving. It had a built-in incentive for me to practice more! The Roadster also made me aware that tube amps really "feel" different to play through. The amp IS part of the instrument. I think this is rather important.

I think being pragmatic is rather important too. A modeler like Fractal AX8 has an appealing form factor and it can sound good depending on what kind of speakers you connect it to. A 103 lbs. combo amp is a great studio amp where it can sit in the same spot, more or less, and sound good.

So the discussion I had with my friend was about buying a decent amp. He deserves a great amp to be honest because performing is one facet of how he makes his living as a musician, but for some reason, he is stuck on his legacy (old) Line6 modeler and wants an amp that makes the modeler sound better. There were some other things he said that made me realize talking about gear every "once in a while" is actually a good thing. When digital technology starts making life more difficult (he is there), it is time to make a change.

Overall, I think the guitar community could focus less on gear, but being aware of what is available and what works is not such a bad idea either. This forum seems to as "normal" as it gets in that regard, which is a good thing!
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:06 PM

I don't play live anymore, so it's more of a stress reliever/hobby so as of right now, I play mainly Ibanez Rg's and Jem Jr's. All are more/less customized. Some have dimarzio's, some have Seymours, some have edge trems, some have real Floyds, I like to experiment with diff. pups, hardware etc. I also travel a lot with work, usually gone 2-6 weeks at a time and home only 1-2 weeks at most so due to that, I find amplitube 4 from IK Multimedia the most travel friendly, since it's on my laptop which I take w/ me everywhere i go and on the road I take my little Focusrite solo interface which packs easily in my carry-on as well as my behringer headphones . At home, I do have some amps and pedal-boards but I still find amplitube is what I use the most due to I spend more time on that and creating patches that I really like. And it's easy and I don't disturb my family and neighbors playing through amps etc. However, at times I do play through amplitube through monitors or I'll use my Zoon G5n through headphones or monitors depending on if anyone is home or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode