Tell us about your set-up (guitar gear) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Tell us about your set-up (guitar gear)

I am curious what people are playing their guitars through. This does not get discussed much here and thought a thread about the gear we use would be nice.

I’ll start:

Amp - Bogner Atma head w/ Atma 1x12 cabinet .

Pedals - Eventide H9, PitchFactor, Space
Dunlop 95Q Wah, MXR Bass Envelope Filter, DOD Death Metal (nostalgia purchase, actually pretty cool) I do not use all of them at the same time.

Cables - Mogami Gold - I never wanted to worry about cables again so I simplified my options to Mogami Gold cables. One benefit of doing this is if I have a problem with a piece of gear, customer service always asks about your cables. When you can say “Mogami Golds 10 foot...” they don’t let you finish and say “No, those aren’t the problem.” It’s kind of nice.

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 02-23-2019 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Tell us about your set-up (guitar gear)

At the moment, I play everything into an old, cheap Line6 combo, because I have a young son who is learning to play guitar and don't want him using my Mesa Boogies which now live at my parents' home along with a few of my more valuable guitars. I also have 2 cats who like warm dark boxes to hide in, like the back of valve combos.

It sounds ok, covers up a lot of my mistakes and, at low volumes, can get passable clean and distorted tones without the need for externals. I've thought about going Kemper or AxeFX but it's too complicated for what I want to do on guitar nowadays. I just want to plug and play for a half hour here and there with simple controls and a couple of different tones per song.

I'd love to update to a more modern amp, but these days don't know where to start.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 PM

My live set-up:

Amp: Marshall JVM205H with a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion V30 and G12h Anniversary

Peadal board: Audiotechnica System 10 stomp wireless - Korg Pitchblack tuner - Morley Little Alligator volume - Digitech Drop - Morley Lynch Dragon II Wah (all to front input)
Truetone H20 Chorus/Echo - MXR 10 band EQ (all to effects loop)

cables: Planet Waves American Stage for long cables and Worlds Best Cables (Mogami wire with Eminence gold plated connectors) patch cables that I found on Amazon.

pedal board: Gator large aluminum orange with a T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon power supply

practice set-up: same but bypass the wireless and into a Marshall JVM215C with a V30 speaker

guitars: MIJ Ibanez, of course!
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:50 PM

Amp: Axe-Fx II Mark II

Pedal: Ernie Ball VP Junior

Cables: DiMarzio

Headphones: Beyerdymanic DT 770 Pro

I have some studio monitors as well (KRK Rockit 6) but rarely use them since my daughter was born. They kind of suck and I'd like something different, but no sense doing that with the amount I actually use them.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It sounds ok, covers up a lot of my mistakes and, at low volumes, can get passable clean and distorted tones without the need for externals. I've thought about going Kemper or AxeFX but it's too complicated for what I want to do on guitar nowadays. I just want to plug and play for a half hour here and there with simple controls and a couple of different tones per song.
I think you'd find the Axe-Fx way less complicated than you think it would be, particularly if you have it running to a computer and use the Axe-Edit GUI. It looks just like a pedalboard and although you can get crazy tweaking stuff, the default settings are just fine. Like you, I mainly use the same patch for 90% of my playing and the only thing I'm doing is changing the tempo, which mostly is affecting the delay.

You can find a lot of the II's pretty affordably now that the III is out. Tone and processing wise, they're all the same and the features you get going to the XL and XL+ are mainly more memory for patches and cabs.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I think you'd find the Axe-Fx way less complicated than you think it would be, particularly if you have it running to a computer and use the Axe-Edit GUI. It looks just like a pedalboard and although you can get crazy tweaking stuff, the default settings are just fine. Like you, I mainly use the same patch for 90% of my playing and the only thing I'm doing is changing the tempo, which mostly is affecting the delay.

You can find a lot of the II's pretty affordably now that the III is out. Tone and processing wise, they're all the same and the features you get going to the XL and XL+ are mainly more memory for patches and cabs.
The main thing that puts me off getting an Axe FX is that our PC is no where near my guitars and I've never been sure of what how to turn an Axe FX into a decent practice rig- power amps and speakers? Through the PC speakers? Powered cabs? The beauty of a Line 6 combo is that there's an on switch, and the noise comes out of the front just like it always has with an amp

Yes, I am a dinosaur. No, I don't know Chris Pratt. Yes, Jeff Goldblum was great to work with in the originals.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
At the moment, I play everything into an old, cheap Line6 combo, because I have a young son who is learning to play guitar and don't want him using my Mesa Boogies which now live at my parents' home along with a few of my more valuable guitars. I also have 2 cats who like warm dark boxes to hide in, like the back of valve combos.

I'd love to update to a more modern amp, but these days don't know where to start.
This is neither advice or fact, simply an observation that might be worth something to someone someday. The Bogner Helios 50, the Mesa/Boogie JP-2C, and the Mesa/Boogie TC-50 1x12 combo are all newer tube amps that have one thing in common: they sound good at low volumes and as the Volume Knob is turned up, the actual volume increases at a relatively equal proportion. My experience with tube amps has been more like: 0 - faint sound, 1 - quiet, does not sound great, 2 - too loud and the police are knocking on your door. It seems like there has been a conscious effort to make these tube amps usable at all volume levels while retaining the high wattage. I realize these are expensive amplifiers, and as far as I know, nothing has been done to keep cats out of them, but it seems to me they have been made to be more useful in more situations. It could have just been my imagination though.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I have no issues with the low volume sound of a modern valve amp, I think they sound amazing, it's the fact that they're crammed full of stuff that can go wrong when you have two cats and a child that wants to be Tony Stark...

If they did a Axe FX 1x12 combo for less than a secondhand subcompact, I'd be all over it. As it is, it's too big a move for me to make for too little an increase in benefits.

You also have to remember that the fine detail of my hearing isn't what it used to be, so I don't need 100% modelling accuracy of an SLO100 vs a Bognor Ecstacy. I need

1) "high gain instrumental lead"
2) "metal rhythm"
3) "classic rock crunch"
4) "clean tone"

and that's about it.

But a dedicated SLO100 lead patch would be cool
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
The main thing that puts me off getting an Axe FX is that our PC is no where near my guitars and I've never been sure of what how to turn an Axe FX into a decent practice rig- power amps and speakers? Through the PC speakers? Powered cabs? The beauty of a Line 6 combo is that there's an on switch, and the noise comes out of the front just like it always has with an amp

Yes, I am a dinosaur. No, I don't know Chris Pratt. Yes, Jeff Goldblum was great to work with in the originals.
Oh you meant a Line 6 AMP. Got you...totally different. I thought you were using one of their foot controllers or something and already had the whole setup in place to run a modeler. Scratch what I was saying. Moving to an Axe would be a way bigger deal for you. My whole setup is tied into the computer and is more like a home studio.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly, i'd love to make the switch, but I don't trust myself to have a guitar in my home office, and to go fully PC based for music would be just too big an outlay to justify given I don't know what i'm doing! I feel like there's nothing approaching a learning curve for old guys, it's a sheer cliff face!!!
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:28 PM

My JVMs sound awesome at any level. They both have a volume for each channel that I keep at 10 and use the Master 1 for regular volume and Master 2 for a boost for solos. Adjust Master settings for home practice or gig level sound. Really only get to around 3 1/2 on Master even on stage so far. Both are only 50 watts but some savage tube power for sure. Depending on settings, I can go from Beatles to Metallica and everything in between with the tap or 2 on the footswitch.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:04 PM

I just sold a ton of amps and bought a Kemper. I kept my Spawn Quick Rod, Orange AD30, Fender Princeton. My Sunn Model T RI and Traynor YBA-1 are on the sell list, I'm just too lazy to do it
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:52 AM

My setup these days isn't very exciting when playing live.

Guitar : 1994 Jem 7V - stock aside from SD Full Shred in bridge, with the 2nd position wired to give me the bridge humbucker single coil.
Amp : Line 6 Helix floorboard into the rack running ableton live straight out to the PA, in-ear monitoring.
Monitoring : Shure SE535

In the past I used a traditional pedalboard into a Peavey 5150 and later a Cornford Hellcat but now I just use the Helix. In the past I played in metal bands playing original music so a 5150 was ideal, now I do more session work and covers because I need to pay bills, so a Helix was an obvious choice. Especially as during 2017 I had some pretty nasty pain in my back after carrying my Hellcat combo, could barely get out of bed for 2 weeks and have had it return 1-2 times since then, so I'm in no rush to go back to carrying amps when I get amazing results with my Helix (though I still have to carry PA speakers, etc).

There has been talk of some reunion gigs with my band from over a decade ago, I think if that happened I'd probably get my 5150 back in action.

Last edited by BigBazz; 11-26-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post

This is what I hate about the Kemper, it's so cool and sounds great, but there is no software to create profiles with
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
This is what I hate about the Kemper, it's so cool and sounds great, but there is no software to create profiles with
I've heard that the Kemper is liked more by people who want their interface to be more like an amp and just want to turn knobs. Maybe it's the geek in me but I have always loved rack gear and have never had a cool regular amp, so the computer interface seemed like more of a feature to me than anything.

I find videos like this completely fascinating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode