Is There Such Thing As A Good SS Amp - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Is There Such Thing As A Good SS Amp

Ampeg ss series SS amps were fabulous, and they made a 1x12 combo ss70 I believe...Gotta go to the bay to find them I'm sure...

I love the Crate SS stuff the ones with DSP are especially nice for home use and practice...

I'm a solid state lover!!! Down with tubes (DWT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Re: Is There Such Thing As A Good SS Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
You cannot be serious. Marshall Amps are the worst you could buy, their SS and hybrids all sound like a chainsaw massacre. They simply rip you off with their name and reputation, which is far from what it one was...
He wanted something for practise so I suggest him the MG series IMHO they were Great for a SS amp but indeed if you want to compare any SS with tube, it's like incomparable. Tubes will always be better.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 PM

I'm not really a proponent of solid state, but I don't understand the hate for the MG series. They are one of the better sounding solid state amps, IMO, behind the Cubes.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 AM

The Epiphone Blues Custom 30 is a nice low wattage all tube (including tube rectifier) amp. But it is 2x12, and the Windsor studio might work better at 1x12 (and an effects loop). I currently have a "broken" Blues Custom 30, and if a tube switch doesn't fix the problem I'll have serious reservations on the reliability front as well. But it sounded great direct with my N4 when it worked!

I also have had nice experience with the Marshall AVTs and many other SS amps. I would never rule them out- the technology is always getting better, and at low volumes the hybrids often do (IMO) a better job then all tube amps.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRobIBZ View Post
I have always heard good things about the Carvin SX. I am moving into a new place that will allow me a great opportunity to start giving guitar lessons and I will probably make the SX my resident "student amp".
My "main amp" for the time being is a Carvin SX200 (100Watt 2x12 combo). I absolutely love it, and I've played through tons of amps in my day. I'm not going to try to dig up the ss vs tube debate here, but the SX200 sounds and feels more like "tube" than many tube amps I've played. It's super loud, quite responsive, relatively inexpensive, and suitably impressive looking (if you're into that kind of thing).

So, yeah, there's totally such a thing as a good SS Amp...
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 AM

Anything by Tech 21. Personal favorite: Trademark 10 - cheap used, very light, sounds fantastic. Second best - SansAmp GT2 stomp into any clean SS guitar amp (I tend to scoop the mids on the amp to straighten it up a bit) or directly into a mixer, powered monitors, home stereo, etc. Their brand new Character series pedals promise to be even better - haven't tried them yet, but have serious cravings for the British one
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 AM

The Rolands JC's stay clean up to pretty high volumes right? I wonder how they'd react to a decent tube distortion pedal. It seems that a JC 120 and that new Seymour Duncan metal distortion could be a great combo.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM

Reviews: 21

I've been using Marshall Valestates / AVT's for well over a decade and prefer them to all -tube amps. I played the MG in a store and found it to be ok. Personally, I've just never been enamoured of tubes.
The best thing to do is go to the store and try one for yourself. I think there are plenty of good SS amps out there.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:27 AM

Vox is pretty good. Just played a couple of them today. Don't mean to thread jack, but would you recommend the DA10/15 or the Pathfinder 15 for a practice/recording amp? The DA has effects, I'm not sure how often I'll use them.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:33 PM

you should check out one of the Zakk mini stacks. I played one at the store here, and it was pretty cool. plus its a full stack lol

Tags
fender twin , marshall amp , marshall avt , peavey bandit , preamp tube , roland cube , tube distortion , tube tone , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode