Think I broke a record for the sale of this Ibanez pedal! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Cool Think I broke a record for the sale of this Ibanez pedal!

Hey guys

Those of you that are into rare and Vintage pedals, will understand why people pay alot of money for them so I thought id post about it.

I just sold an Ibanez WH10 original for $500 AUD...

I have sold about 4 of them over the last few years and this was a record price for me.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170681216...84.m1562.l2649

I was going to keep it, but I really didn't need it, and I figured if I can get close to $500 for it, then great and use the money for some other pedals I need. :P

just thought id share !! :P

what are your thoughts on expensive effects..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Think I broke a record for the sale of this Ibanez pedal!

The price of vintage pedals has certainly skyrocketed in recent years. The old 9 series Ibanez pedals bring in some decent dough, as do the old MIJ Boss pedals. I saw some old TS808s go for about 4-500 recently.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
To me it's a waste of money.

1-If you're at the stage nobody including you would care/know if you're using boss pedals or pedals made of gold.

2-In your bedroom you'd have to have both(expensive and cheap) to compare, if you have only one there'll be no comparison so any of them would be good. Besides that why expensive effects to play in your bedroom?

3-When recording you will record dry and add effects in the mix.

Besides all of that I hate pedals, I prefer my G-Major, I stomp on 1 button and I have all settings the way I need/want. I don't see a point of stomping on pedals with the same settings ever. Some say pedals sound better or vice versa, it's a nonsense cause like I said nobody can tell if you're using pedals or racks. But if you really want pedals boss are good, no need to waste money on expensive effects UNLESS you want a particular effect which costs more.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:

Good business for the seller, but I would never buy some of them at that kind of prices, doesn't worth it and I mean, they are Ibanezzzzz, geezzz... For me is like somebody would try to sell me an 80's boss pedal for 500 bucks... Why would I buy such of crap. They are not that good (I didn't want to say they sound like crap, been polite) and you can find awesome pedals these days for less money, brand new.
If we were talking about vintage guitars with great aged wood that make a huge sustain with really alive acoustic tones (that is gonna make your pickups sound like a dream)... that would be another story, I would pay for something like that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25

Vintage_freak_forever: Obviously you have never played through a Vintage WH10 Wah.. best sounding wah I have used.. there is a reason why they are sort after. I sold 3 last year and all went to recording studios.

and considering your username I would have thought you would be into vintage effects, possibly vintage effects forever ? :P

Ibanez are well known as having good quality effects pedals, so i dont know where your getting your information...

and 6fingers, this thread isn't about pedals over all in one systems, its about Vintage equipment and why people pay big money for them. I know all about all in one systems and yeah they are practical, but also annoying. When they break down you loose all your effects, when a pedal stops working you can still use your other pedals...

Anyway. I was happy with the sale and glad there are people willing to spend big bucks on equipment.

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 08-22-2011 at 08:20 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Reviews: 18

If I recall correctly, vintage Ibanez pedals were made by Maxxon, which would explain why they were sought after.

I have an MXR Phase 100 that was made in 1978 that I'm never getting rid of whether it's being put to use or not. The pedal sounds incredible for a phaser that old and I haven't heard anything that compares to it.

I personally don't think Boss effects are good. Some of them are decent but, there are better brands out there that can do the job better.

Jimmy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
and 6fingers, this thread isn't about pedals over all in one systems, its about Vintage equipment and why people pay big money for them. I know all about all in one systems and yeah they are practical, but also annoying. When they break down you loose all your effects, when a pedal stops working you can still use your other pedals....
You misunderstood my point cause I did reply to your question. More clear than that it's impossible. The rest of my comments were about why I prefer racks.
Besides all of that why do you care about what people think if you already made-up your mind? Go to a store and buy what you need/want.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
To me it's a waste of money.

1-If you're at the stage nobody including you would care/know if you're using boss pedals or pedals made of gold.

2-In your bedroom you'd have to have both(expensive and cheap) to compare, if you have only one there'll be no comparison so any of them would be good. Besides that why expensive effects to play in your bedroom?

3-When recording you will record dry and add effects in the mix.
Quote:
Vintage_freak_forever: Obviously you have never played through a Vintage WH10 Wah.. best sounding wah I have used.. there is a reason why they are sort after. I sold 3 last year and all went to recording studios.
There's no the best this or that(still don't know that?), we all have our own tastes so what's the best sound to you maybe it's not to the others so even if Vintage had used it he could not liked it

Last edited by 6fingers; 08-22-2011 at 09:06 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:

and considering your username I would have thought you would be into vintage effects, possibly vintage effects forever ? :P

Pedals for me are a history of "come and go", and just a few deserve to be a keeper... non of them has an Ibanez label. I love vintage stuff, they don't make guitars with aged wood like they used to do, they don't make amps like they used to build them (with just a few exceptions), they don't make tubes like they used to build them. Even today you can't get a stereo with the sound of an astonishing vintage Marantz 2285B with vintage JBL L-150 speakers if you want to buy a new stereo. I love vintage stuff and I often pay for vintage stuff, none of this is for pedals. If people want to buy old pedals, that's good to me, but that's something I would not do.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
There's no the best this or that(still don't know that?), we all have our own tastes so what's the best sound to you maybe it's not to the others so even if Vintage had used it he could not liked it
Are you saying Mesa sounds bad to millions of people? /gasp

Vintage is, hopefully, just as much about preserving what once was. I prefer Ibanez guitars from "my time", when I first discovered them and got hooked. I'm sure later guitars are just as good or better, but they are not it. I can't say what it is, which is why I will never stop looking twice at those guitars. These instruments are by no means vintage yet, but I think many vintage freaks have a strong connection to the vintage equipment in some way or another. Might be through bands they like, artists, what others have used in studio (as you mentioned studios as buyers). A studio with all new gear is not as exciting as one filled with obscure and rare stuff. Does it sound better? Maybe not, but it's a lot more motivating - and it makes the studio bill rise as you fiddle with every pedal for hours without recording anything.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 PM

To each his own. I personally think the dunlop rack wah is the best thing out there, to me. Now, I haven't ever stepped on an Ibanez WH10 original, so I couldn't help there. I guess if it warrants the price tag, and people pay it, then why not? BTW, congrats on the successful sales!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Reviews: 57

What?? I had one of these and gave it away to a friend. Did not care for it at all. In fact, I think it was given to me as well. If I thought I could have gotten a couple of hundred bucks for it I wouldn't have given it away though, that's for sure.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I remember, when it was released everybody kept bitchin' how it was a "thin sounding weak wah".. If you were in a market for a wah pedal, it was only kosher to buy RMC wahs or at least a modded Vox, at the time. And now, voila, it's a vintage gem. Boy, I really start doubting a lot of them vintage "values" these days.

Great deal for a seller, though. Congrats, channel that money power towards something cool
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM

Wow!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Reviews: 13

I have never personally thought that these pedals were much chop, however somebody obviously does! Good job on the sale though - if people are willing to buy it, then let them have it for the price that they are willing to pay for it!

I have been going through a bit of an overdrive pedal obsession at the moment (just waiting on a Green Rhino MK II), hpwever I would not tend to buy 'vintage' pedals unless I find them in an out of the way pawn shop somewhere. Most likely nothing on the 'bay because it always seems these days that they are overpriced and the term 'vintage' is thrown around way too much.

I have a Boss DM-3 (some think that the DM-2s and 3s are 'vintage') which I absolutely love as it provides exactly the type of organic delay sound that I like. Prices on thse went as high a $600.00 in one 'boutique' store on the Eastern Suburbs and I nearly choked! Great pedal but..........$600.00!!!!

-Wolfram

Last edited by Wolfram; 10-09-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Tags
effects , guitar , ibanez , pedal , wah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode