Thinking of getting rid of my amp, suggestions? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting rid of my amp, suggestions?

I've got a Laney VC50 (signed by Vai!) and it's a cool amp and everything, but it's too damn loud!

I only play at home at the moment because of a problem I'm having with my left ear and this thing is making my bedroom walls shake! I've got a THD Hotplate but even then it's too loud.

So it's got me thinking, the amp and Hotplate cost me about 650 and it just isn't very useful to me at the moment. What decent tube amps out there for less than 650 that aren't going make me require dental work after practicing?

I'm after something that is nice and warm with plenty of gain to spare, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:48 AM

Re: Thinking of getting rid of my amp, suggestions?

How about the new Peavey Valve King - I had a go on one in a shop, it sounded pretty good, plenty of gain.

Another could be POD into your PC - low volume and loads of different sounds.

I've got a Tech 21 Trademark 10 - not valve but nice sounds at home level volumes
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I'm not into the PC thing, but how much were the Valve Kings? how loud too?

This is the problem, when I go to buy an amp it's so hard to tell in a music shop how loud the amp is with everyone wailing away on different guitars in the background. That's what happened with my VC50! lol
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM

If you go with processor, go with the GT-8. Better system for everything. I shit you not, the harmonizer effect for the POD is absolute crap. The GT-8 has all you could ask for when it comes to amp modeling and the effects like that track a lot better.

If you want to go with another amp like a tube amp then Im not sure. Someone on here loves their Carvin Legacy and would recommend that.

In the end, its all about choice my man. Go into local shops, listen to various samples, play different amps and just find what you want.

Edit: Well now that you posted that while I was typing and getting lunch, I seem like an idiot. Thanks. But really, find one you can barely hear over the others.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

lol, sorry Mr. Wizardneck.

I just want a straight up tube practice amp that doesn't sacrifice sound for size. I'm not really an effects guy either. I'm thinking of going Marshall again after listening to Passion and Warfare recently (he did use Marshalls on that album didn't he?)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:07 PM

yeah he did, but marshalls are LOUD too
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 PM

You're not going to be happy with a tube amp at bedroom volumes, at least that's my thinking. Even a 5 watt tube amp is really really loud once you wind it up. I've spent a lot of time looking for that perfect gigging and rehearsing set up. You just can't have it all and be perfectly happy in both situations. I'd second the recommendation on getting some sort of modeling device (POD XT) or a modeling amp of some sort. They are great for practicing and have loads of options for running into recording suites fully digital and what not. My old POD Pro is still getting tons of use in my studio as my main recording/practice tool. And it's great to have for the odd gig when I'm happy to run straight into the board and not lug around an import car's worth of amplifiers and cabinets. It's versatile and useful and it sounds damn good for what it is. Yes, I like tube amps too.

An alternative might be getting something like a small recording amp. Cornford Carrera or Harlequin, Carr Mercury or something like that. Played the cornfords a few weeks ago, terribly good sounding stuff if you've got the cash laying around. But they're hardly "not loud." Wind em up and you're teeth will hurt.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I was looking at maybe getting a VC15, quieter but similar sound was my thinking but I heard that wasn't true.

If I can get something that's able to go "fairly quiet" and retain it's sound I can use the hotplate again to bring the volume down.

Just thought I'd say thanks as well for the info to you guys too, it's giving me something to think about.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 04:20 PM

I've tried the hotplate thing too, didn't find that it dramatically improved anything except the rate at which I retubed amplifiers.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Thumbs up Re: Thinking of getting rid of my amp, suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
...he did use Marshalls on that album didn't he?)...
Yep , but he ran the signals through LA-3A compressors and Pulteq EQ's, none of which are known for being transparent sounding.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Y'know, that went straight over my head, lol

I just want something that's plug in and play

The stupid thing is I REALLY don't want to get rid of this amp, but it's big and loud. Honestly, I had a Peavey 100 watt solidstate amp and it wasn't loud until you went past 4 maybe 5. I bought the Laney thinking "Well, it's only 50 watt... perfect" BIG mistake!

Has anyone any experience with the Laney VC15?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Just get a tube head but with a 1x12 cab or something...woudn't that make it quiter? I am not a expert in loudness levels lol...

BTW I'm in the market to getting a new amp to...maybe snag a Legacy off here...

Tags
peavey valve king , pod pro , practice amp , thd hotplate , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , tube practice amp , valve king

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode