thinking of a serious gear upgrading - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

thinking of a serious gear upgrading

hello there, im probably going to buy a new jem and a marshall, just wondering how the marshall DSL 401, would size up to my crappy 100watt peavey bandit. i know tube amps are louder but if im used to the 100 watt bandit should i get something more than 40watts for a tube amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

alternatively, i might buy a legacy combo, anyone know what site i can view the uk price for the legacy?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:28 PM

Generally tube amps are a lot louder than solid state amps at supposedly the same wattag. A 50 watt tube driven power stage would probably blow the 100 watt peavey out of the water. Atleast that was the case with my experience. A while back I used this cheap Crate 2x12 combo @ 120 watts rms and I used to think wow 120 watts. Since then i've had two 50 watt Boogie heads (both using 6L6's) and WHOA.........both are unbelievably louder
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 04:41 AM

the marshal dsl 401 is a pretty good amp but its not gona throw the kinda tone a legacy combo will (trust me ive had a dsl 401)

when i decided to upgrade my whole rig i went with somethin realy realy special namely a cornford hellcat and that thing has scary tone is just amazing and with the rest of the stuff i run its unbleiveable.

if i was you (depends how exacting you are on getting great tone) go with somethin a lil more special than a dsl401 you will only end up getting rid for a legacy or somethin better.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 06:07 AM

I personally think the 401 is horrible sounding, and I've heard many reports of unreliability.

In the tube realm, I would highly recommend the Carvin MTS3212. I really dug the sound.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

im looking for something within the 1000 pound mark, and in terms of tone, i want a nice bit of gain and by that i mean lots available! i play varying styles but mainly i would want something that could give me classic tone, good bluesy sounds and a good lead sound for vai stuff, would the leagcy forfill my needs? or is it too geared towards vai's tone?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

anyone know where i can get a really good deal on a leagcy combo, i like some of the reviews ive read but i really want to get the lowest price, not that i'm stingy but i'd rather save some cash on a near 1000 amp, by the way im looking to buy this in the uk so no good telling me about US shops or anything thanx!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
I personally think the 401 is horrible sounding, and I've heard many reports of unreliability.
I was actually quite impressed with the 401 I played... I'd have liked a little more adjustability with the gain boost, but it wasn't a bad sounding combo, and loud enough for anything I needed it for- Through my Mesa Recto 2x12, I was playing an outdoor gig with the thing's master maybe up to 7 and had no problem cutting through. Incidentally, it sounded worlds better through the cl;osed back mesa cab...

-D

Tags
marshall dsl , mesa cab , mesa recto , peavey bandit , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode