Thoughts on live rigs, modelers vs tube - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By BigBazz
  • 1 Post By tobe
  • 1 Post By noiselessa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on live rigs, modelers vs tube

Good day everyone,

I hope you are all well! Given the down time from playing shows, I've been giving some thought to my rigs. This weekend, I had a recording session to reamp some tracks. I took my tube amps and a couple 2x12s and got tones that I am super happy with. The issue is, its just such a pain in the ass to drag the heavy gear around - which the session reminded me about. I play in a few different groups, and live, I never use more than a 4x12, in fact I usually just take a 2x12. As I get older dragging around a tube amp - in a flight case, a pedal board, and a cab seems less and less appealing. [My ENGL Savage 120 is a tank!) I do have an AXE FX Ultra which I use for demos in my home studio, and it sounds good and gets the job done. The engineer at the session this weekend has a Kemper that he could not say enough good stuff about, but I still do not know. I guess my two biggest hang ups on going the modeling route are 1) I have always had trouble with making sure the patches are all exactly the same volume, even from back in my ADA MP-1 days. 2) I also hate having to navigate endless sub pages tweaking parameters. My profession that allows me to continue with my expensive hobby, lol, is very tech orientated, so when it comes to being creative, I really do not want to spend tons of time tweaking.

In one of the groups I am in, I have an AXE FX8, which is not too bad to configure, but I have never been very satisfied with how it sounds through the fx loop of my K7 Rivera using the 4 CM, but the FM3 looks intriguing .....

My question is, those of you that do user modelers live, what is your set up and signal chain? What do you like about it, and what do you hate? The gear that I have thought about looking at is Fractal, Kemper, and Headrush.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and tips! Have a great one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 05:53 PM

Re: Thoughts on live rigs, modelers vs tube

I use a L6 Helix direct into an x32 mixer/interface and laptop running Ableton live for mixing and then straight out front. Have live in-ear monitoring setup with my own mix so no backline. When playing larger venues this is absolutely ideal and I love it, I don't think there is any compromise on tone compared to a real amp and there is a lot less work to dial in the sound to the venue, my sound is always the same every show barring some minor tweaks at the mixer end to adjust to the room.

At smaller venues you miss the more intimate interaction between the guitar and amp and it can sometimes sound a little hollow to not have a proper backline driving the dynamics, but that isn't a concern at larger venues. Prior to this I was using a Cornford Hellcat 2x12 with a traditional stompbox based pedalboard. Now I only run the Line 6 Helix, I don't need anything else as it covers all ground by itself, I am ready to go in under a minute I just need to run cables to the x32 and plug my guitar in.
tobe likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I use a L6 Helix direct into an x32 mixer/interface and laptop running Ableton live for mixing and then straight out front. Have live in-ear monitoring setup with my own mix so no backline. When playing larger venues this is absolutely ideal and I love it, I don't think there is any compromise on tone compared to a real amp and there is a lot less work to dial in the sound to the venue, my sound is always the same every show barring some minor tweaks at the mixer end to adjust to the room.

At smaller venues you miss the more intimate interaction between the guitar and amp and it can sometimes sound a little hollow to not have a proper backline driving the dynamics, but that isn't a concern at larger venues. Prior to this I was using a Cornford Hellcat 2x12 with a traditional stompbox based pedalboard. Now I only run the Line 6 Helix, I don't need anything else as it covers all ground by itself, I am ready to go in under a minute I just need to run cables to the x32 and plug my guitar in.
Hi BigBazz,

Thank you for the reply, very interesting! I agree on the larger venues, especially with in-ear monitors, it sounds like an ideal setup! For smaller gigs, I was thinking of getting the Seymour PowerStage and going to one of my 2x12s. I guess I am just torn between the simplicity of my current set up, and the amount of time that it will probably take for me to get a modeling unit dialed in. I am thinking about getting the Kemper Stage Profiler and trying it out. Thanks again for your time!
BigBazz likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 10:23 AM

I don't think there is any compromise on tone compared to a real amp and there is a lot less work to dial in the sound to the venue, my sound is always the same every show barring some minor tweaks at the mixer end to adjust to the room.
tobe likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2020, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiselessa View Post
I don't think there is any compromise on tone compared to a real amp and there is a lot less work to dial in the sound to the venue, my sound is always the same every show barring some minor tweaks at the mixer end to adjust to the room.
What are you using live? I'm thinking of giving the FM3 a try. Thank you for the response!

Tags
live rigs , modelers , tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode