thoughts on tone and gear - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
thoughts on tone and gear

This is just a few thoughts on some pieces of gear and general thoughts on tone.

schecter C1 hellraiser fr-
I love this guitar. I bought the one w/ the black cherry finish. I was reluctant to go with a guitar with emg's for a few reasons. one, I haven't really liked the tone of anyone who I'm aware of using emg pups. I'd always been a dimarzio guy. I liked the other features enough to buy the guitar anyway. I figured I'd switch out the pups eventually BUT...I dig the emgs. I've found that most any amp sounds good with the emgs. I switched the 85 to the bridge posi. and the 81 to neck. I dont really like 'metal' tones for my own tone, and I really pretty much keep my settings at 12 o'clock, including gain/drive. So for most of my tones, its nice and tight, fat and very clean. I have to be very aware of my volume because of the high gain character of the pups. SO, I'm now a believer in emgs. (if I can just get a less gainy, less edgy pup for the neck position) maybe an 89?

peavey jsx 212-I went and played with one for about an hour, and with all settings at 12 o'clock except maybe trebe, presence and of course volume the lead and ultra channels both sound great. W/ and w/out 'fat' swith engaged. There was definately plenty gain on those channels. I never tried any 'scooped' metal settings or tried to get those sounds..so I don't know how well it achieves those sounds. It had a great smooth sound with plenty of responsiveness for pick squeals and other articulations. Very good amp. Not a cornford, bogner or a mesa mkiv..but a very nice amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: thoughts on tone and gear

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Another thought.

Guitar rig 2-I really like it. I dont have the program, but I have used it quite a lot though with a former band. The presets were pretty good and the tonal variations with all of the speaker/mic combinations and setups available are very good. It 'feels' good in my opinion...not necassarily exactly like a true amp but it definately works. If I were trying to record parts for an actual album I would probably go with a real amp, but for making a demo that sounds really good, it's more than sufficient
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:14 PM

I think those a Schecters are great guitars for the money. If I had the extra cash, I would get one.

The JSX, on the other hand, I'm not too particularly fond of. I spent a good two hours fiddling with one about a month ago, and I could not get that great of a tone. The amp was just way to sterile and dry for my liking.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I think those a Schecters are great guitars for the money. If I had the extra cash, I would get one.

The JSX, on the other hand, I'm not too particularly fond of. I spent a good two hours fiddling with one about a month ago, and I could not get that great of a tone. The amp was just way to sterile and dry for my liking.
i gotta say, maybe it's just that emg 85 w/ a mahogany set neck guitar.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:30 PM

Schecters are ok, you get some decent hardware on them. However, workmanship and wood quality is a bit iffy. I upgraded from a schecter to a j custom and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Improvement all around, better feel, better tone, better high fret access

If you want the absolute best EMG equipped mahogany body guitar...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Schecters are ok, you get some decent hardware on them. However, workmanship and wood quality is a bit iffy. I upgraded from a schecter to a j custom and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Improvement all around, better feel, better tone, better high fret access

If you want the absolute best EMG equipped mahogany body guitar...
well, the hellraiser is a set neck guitar and I really couldn't ask for higher fret access than what i have.
i have no doubts that a j-custom is a superior guitar in the areas of workmanship and wood quality, and as soon as i have $1500+ for a new guitar i'll be happy to pick one up. right now for me, $1500 looks like two hellraisers, one black cherry one black. That j custom is gorgeous though, especially that vine. in the area of hardware, i honestly prefer the material quality of the original floyds than that of the ibanez trems, just an opinion.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshred777 View Post
well, the hellraiser is a set neck guitar and I really couldn't ask for higher fret access than what i have.
Actually, not true, even though I expected fret access to be poor since its a bolt on. High fret access on my j custom is much easier than on my schecter. With my thumb at the base of the joint I can easily reach the 24 fret on my j custom, and the neck profile remains the same. However, on the schecter the neck gets real thick at the joint making things very uncomfortable compared to the Ibanez

Quote:
i have no doubts that a j-custom is a superior guitar in the areas of workmanship and wood quality, and as soon as i have $1500+ for a new guitar i'll be happy to pick one up. right now for me, $1500 looks like two hellraisers, one black cherry one black.
Quality > quantity

Quote:
That j custom is gorgeous though, especially that vine. in the area of hardware, i honestly prefer the material quality of the original floyds than that of the ibanez trems, just an opinion.
Ibanez edge is equal or greater to an OFR. I doubt the material quality is very different, I'm sure rich has some insight on that, and the edge pro is much more ergonomic
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 07:55 PM

So, your thoughts on tone and gear are you have a guitar and amp that you like?
Interesting.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 PM

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM

tone is relative...... einstein taught me that back in 1948.... great guy einstein, i wish yall could've met him
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 PM

/\

Where can you get a J-Custom?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
tone is relative...... einstein taught me that back in 1948.... great guy einstein, i wish yall could've met him
Yet another great person who lived i Jersey (granted, he lived in Europe most of his life, but he spent a good portion of it in Jersey too!!!)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG_FANMAN View Post
/\

Where can you get a J-Custom?
walmart or target
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quality > quantity

i agree, by the way what's the model of that j?

i had an rg3120 a couple years ago and really loved it, had it had emgs and a vine i might have kept it.

Tags
fret access , ibanez trem , mahogany body , neck position , peavey jsx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode