Time to really work on my tones. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Time to really work on my tones.

So I have been so obsessed with guitar buying and finding "the one" that I really have not put the time or money into finding better, usable tones.

I play and record through a POD XT Pro and a pair of Rokit 6's. Most all of my playing is either jamming or writing songs so a big amp just isn't necessary and would not sound good in my small room anyway.

My thoughts lately have gravitated to either buying a Blackstar HT-5R when they are available and using the emulated output to record or actually stepping up my modeler to an Axe Fx unit.

I think what has precipitated this is that I am working on a song and just cannot find the right low to mid gain tone to fit. Maybe I need to tweak more but I have certainly been impressed with the tones I have heard out of the Blackstar and Axe FX unit.

Is my thinking off? Is the POD XT that limited?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Time to really work on my tones.

Blackstar stuff is great. That is certainly high on the lengthening list of low wattage tube monsters out there. The older version, which only had a 10" speaker is great and I imagine that this one will be even better and would probably be my recommendation for an under $500 tube combo once I have a chance to demo it. I've liked the other Blackstar models a lot.
I don't have any experience with the Axe but you might be able to find an older version on the "reasonable" cheap now that they've announce the Axe FX II. It's a whole different price range from the Blackstar but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who hates on the Axe. If you love to tweak, have at it and down the road, if you ever need to play out, just buy a decent power amp and some FRFR monitors. My only hesitation would be, is it worth it to drop that kind of cash for something that's mostly just sitting in your basement/bedroom, but that's my tight wallet talking....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 AM

You really can't compare the emulated output of a Blackstar with an Axe-FX?! If you have the money go with the Fractal. The emulated output is ok but to be honest of that is all you're going to use the amp for get a Blackstar HT-Dual pedal.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I would like to have the Blackstar as a bedroom amp, sometimes you just want to rock out. The rokits are very flat (as they should be), I wouldn't mind some color.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 PM

Reviews: 11

A GOOD setup I like is what I have going on now. I have guitar rig 4, setup to preamp my epiphone valve junior. Since its a transparent amplifier, the tweaks on the guitar rig 4 are very dynamic.

Best of all, its a fairly inexpensive rig. Those blackstars are decent on their own, but I dont really think they are anything appreciably better then the valve junior when you have effects in front. Amp vs Amp the blackstar is better hands down, but if you're using a pod anyway...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM

I'd pair the XT up with an Atomic Cab, one of those flat response ones with a built-in poweramp, it gives you the feel of playing through a real amp but the versatility of the XT. How is the XT for high-gain and clean tones, by the way? I'm thinking of getting one.

Tags
tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode