tips for shure sm 57 recording - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

tips for shure sm 57 recording

hey guys, how are you? Ive been a bit out of the forum because i have been very busy, but now i have some more free time so Ill be back to the forum again

I recently got a really good offer and bought a shure sm57 that I was planning to buy for some time to record guitar parts, and Im really new to this mic recording thing.
What tips could u give me to record with this mic in general, and to record specifically from my guitar amp and sometimes my acoustic guitar?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Re: tips for shure sm 57 recording

Open up capsule
Remove interior parts
Replace interior parts with AKG414

:-)

Just kidding.

Although it's not the greatest choice for micing an acoustic. For the electric, it's a hit and miss depending on your amp/speakers. Start on axis at the center of the cone. Slowly move out towards the edge of the cone. Sometimes you may even want to angle the mic slightly (off axis). You'll really need to experiment with it but the SM57 is probably the most recorded mic in electric guitar history.

For the acoustic, well, one mic is really limiting. Again, experiment. Start by aiming at the sound hole. Move slightly closer to the bridge to get a brighter sound. Typically, I would use something like an AKG414 about 12 inches from the soundhole and then an SM81 aimed near the nut/headstock aimed toward the fretboard. You'll probably want to throw some compression on for the acoustic as well.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 AM

For micing acoustic I would recommend putting it in front of the fretboard, where the body meets the neck.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:51 AM

It's not the greatest acoustic mic, but it'll do in a pinch.

On an electric, it's tough to beat. There are alternatives out there, but so many classic recordings have been done with a SM57 that you should be able to get SOMETHING good out of one.

There's a few things you'll want to think about:

1.) Amp settings. If you've never dome much recording, remember that you're used to listening to an amp from 6-10' back, 6' off the floor from the speaker. When micing, you're "listening" from right in front of the speaker. Settings that sound awesome for the former won't necessarily work so well for the later.
2.) As a very loose rule of thumb, the sound of a mic close to the speaker starts out very dark at the edge of the speaker cone, and gets brighter as you move towards the dust cap. A/B against a couple favorite guitar tones, and experiment until you get something you like.
3.) Proximity effect - if you're unfamiliar with the term, the idea is that as a mic gets closer to a sound source, something about the way sound radiates and is captured by a mic creates a "bass boost" to the microphone. Usually, if you're 2" or closer to the speaker, you'll start to see an increased low end.

In general, I've found that a SM57 pointing straight at the speakerjust off the edge of the dust cap and right up against the grill works pretty well for heavy rhythm, and the same position but at a 30-45 degree angle ("off axis") seems to do better for leads.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

should I get a mic preamp or something like that or its OK if I record straight to my interface?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM

You'll need a pre amp if you want good quality. Your interface might work depending on the model, but the quality will suffer.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtallica View Post
should I get a mic preamp or something like that or its OK if I record straight to my interface?
What's your interface? If it's some sort of a recording USB/firewire interface, it almost certainly has built-in mic preamps, and you should be fine.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

im currently using a tascam us-224 usb interface, but ill be putting the mic to a gemini pdm 14 and then to the tascam because the tascam doesnt have a 1/4 plug for mic (the mixer end of my mic cable has a 1/4 plug, and im using it in the guitar input), and if I only use the tascam I have to put more volume in order to hear the same level that I would hear using the gemini mic input.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM

I'd go straight into the Tascam, personally, and just buy an XLR-XLR mic cable (probably $15 at your local music shop). The Gemeni looks like it's intended to be used for DJ work, and anyway if you're recording 24-bit you really don't need to record THAT loud.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

can my sm57 be used with that cable?cuz the guy from the shop where I bought it told me that I needed a cable that was XLR on one side and 1/4" on the another (dont know the name of it sorry, im quite new to this recording stuff)

and something that its important to know too, would I need phantom power if I were using the cable u say? I think not because its a dynamic mic but im not sure
cheers
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM

For your first question, yes, you can use a SM57 with an XLR-XLR cable. He probably told you that because you wanted to plug it into something with a 1/4" input, I'm guessing, but XLR to XLR is the norm for a mic cable.

For your second, definitely not. Only a condenser needs phantom power, though running a dynamic on a channel with phantom power engaged won't hurt it (though, don't try this with a ribbon mic!)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

haha why not try that with a ribbon mic?I dont have one anyway
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

and the mic input doesnt have phantom anyway, so I dont need to worry about that
thx for info man, really appreciate it
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 AM

I'll just add that like others said, positioning is really important. I've made it sound great, I've made it sound terrible. I like it mostly for distortion recording. The cleans just aren't quite there for me. Can't beat the price and even the POTUS uses it...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 AM

Reviews: 17

Although an sm57 isnt the best choice to mic up and acoustic it will still give you a fairly decent sound.

As for where you put it, its up to your own personal preference, however, the most popular places are where the fretboard meets the body, below or above the sound hole, or just next to the bridge. However you'll get the best output from it being near the sound hole.

Tags
sm57

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode