Tone issue with band - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Tone issue with band

Hello, I am fairly new to this forum. I was wondering if I could get a little advice from some of you guys. I play lead guitar in our group and I like to play loud. The problem is that in order to get my tone, my volume is too loud most of the time compared to the rest of the group. I tried turning my 4 x 12 cabinet around to face the wall, but then the tone sounds very "bassy" and solos do not cut through. I place my 4 x 12 cabinet on a couple of milk crates to get the cab off the floor a bit as I find these cabs are very directional. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We typically play in small to medium sized clubs.
Thanks in advance
Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Re: Tone issue with band

Try cutting down on your treble and presence and boost your mids, that way you won't have to turn up so loud to be heard an you'll cut through the mix better.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Are all of the instruments either miked or running direct in the house mains? Your band will achieve a better overall sound if properly mixed through the PA.

Wether you're in the PA or not, the problem is that your stage volume is too high. Run a separate 1x12 or 2x12 monitor cab from your head and position it pointing up at you, away from the crowd and away from the rest of the band. Turn your amp down until your 4x12 is at a comfortable level for the rest of the band. You'll still be able to hear yourself clearly through the monitor.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 03:58 PM

You sound like a rocker. I admire you. I also like to play loud.

Find a new band. Find people who are not scared to rock.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 04:15 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981
You sound like a rocker. I admire you. I also like to play loud.

Find a new band. Find people who are not scared to rock.
^ LOL!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:58 AM
rgr

Congratulations, you're a rock guitarist...

You might try a Hot Plate or similar, or maybe a 2-12 cabinet so it doesn't move as much air. That way you can still turn your amp up but not be as overpowering.

What kind of amp are you using?

Playing loud is fun until your ears ring constantly.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:07 AM

I my last band I used a 4x12 cab, and I got away with it because the others played at hell raising volumes too.

We loved it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 05:38 PM

Yep, nothing wrong with a bit of loudness!

Though i would suggest boosting mids and cutting down bass if you're scared to loose your hearing quickly
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 05:45 PM

Try an Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal. It'll add the extra crunch that high volume gives you without having to turn up all the way to 11.

Ben
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I my last band I used a 4x12 cab, and I got away with it because the others played at hell raising volumes too.

We loved it.
Problem here is that if everyone's just turning up to match the others, the sounds going to sound terrible unless they're playing an open-air stadium with a few feet of separation between them and the audience

Maybe not using a full 4x12 cabinet? Try a 2x12. Also try playing cranking the vol on your guitar and not the amp. Sometimes it responds the same (or better) tonally without using excess volume. +1 on the Tubescreamer by the way - so much tube-warm goodness
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Either that or he needs to leave the 'jazz band' behind and go and find some proper rockers.

Personally, I think he's a fine super guitar man who's dream is to rock and rock properly. You don't piss out of your trousers with your dick half out do you, so why play guitar with the sound half as good as it could be?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinks
The problem is that in order to get my tone, my volume is too loud most of the time compared to the rest of the group.
Kev

What kind of gear are you using? If you are using a tube amp and find that the only way to get the tone you desire is to turn up your amp, think about a power soak, or equivalent. Changing to a 2x12 would probably not give you the desired results as the tonal difference between a 4x121 and a 2x12 is noticable. However, things you can do vary on what gear you are using. Good luck, Tobe
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinks
Hello, I am fairly new to this forum. I was wondering if I could get a little advice from some of you guys. I play lead guitar in our group and I like to play loud. The problem is that in order to get my tone, my volume is too loud most of the time compared to the rest of the group. I tried turning my 4 x 12 cabinet around to face the wall, but then the tone sounds very "bassy" and solos do not cut through. I place my 4 x 12 cabinet on a couple of milk crates to get the cab off the floor a bit as I find these cabs are very directional. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We typically play in small to medium sized clubs.
Thanks in advance
Kev

I use a THD hotplate, it's not the same as not having anything between the amp and the speaker but the sound is fairly similar and the volume is very manageable.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:49 PM
rgr

Quote:
Either that or he needs to leave the 'jazz band' behind and go and find some proper rockers.

Personally, I think he's a fine super guitar man who's dream is to rock and rock properly. You don't piss out of your trousers with your dick half out do you, so why play guitar with the sound half as good as it could be?
It's good to see that Nigel has found the forum
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:04 PM

my solution to this was a 3 channel amp...
easy.

Tags
ibanez tube screamer , paul gilbert , peavey wolfgang , power amp , thd hotplate , tube amp , tube amps , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode