Tone Sound Advice needed - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Tone Sound Advice needed

I posted this in another spot, but this may be the place for this question:

Can someone with Pedal knowlede please help me.. All I am looking for is the smoothest solo Sound I can find.. Not scratchy and dirty but.... Steve Vai Like... ...
I have two guitars :
Gibson LP Traditional Standard ( 57 HB's )

PRS SE Custom Semi Hollow... PRS HB's

G Dec 3 Thirty Amp( nice, but don't expect smooth soaring highs and lows.. )

Zoom G2 1NU

I am looking at buying the Blackstar HT5 combo Tube Amp that has an effects loop hook up option. I am willing to buy a few pedals . ( I will be going to the guitar store to hook up my Zoom Pedal up to the Blackstar and see if I can get the sound I want ). This is for practice and playing in the house, so I can't get the large Tube Amps that have to be driven loud.

Can anyone recommend a simple Pedal set up that may get me to that thick fat Neck sound but smooth as possible for SOLO'S ? But Sustaining soaring Solos . Even if you don't know if it will sound right on this particular amp, can someone give me tips on Pedals that get me closer to that sound ?

I appreciate any help

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM

Re: Tone Sound Advice needed

Tubes are good for you, trust me! A tube amp will help you warm up the tone for starters.Consider a multi watt tube amp, if volume is a factor.Go try out the Jemini distortion pedal, I have heard good tones out of it. The ts-9(modded) will also push a tube amp nicely. A compressor will help with the sustain too. DiMarzio's are key to getting the Vai tone too
Opps, almost forgot the Eventide also
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 AM

Reviews: 39

The compressor will only really help clean up the attack on your clean tones and not drastically effect your gain tones as much as you'd think unless its a very nice or expensive compressor. A very well made tube amp along with your PRS and Gibson will do nicely. The TS9 and a delay wont hurt either.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 AM

Reviews: 120

The HT-5 is an awesome amplifier, sounds great at quite bedroom volumes, and awesome with a band. I've found it has a heap of gain, great for solos, but some may want a boost.

I recommend the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube overdrive to boost the amp. A great delay pedal in the loop like the Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper, Malekko Ekko 616, or MXR Carbon Copy is awesome too. I use the DL-8 and Malekko.

I don't think your Zoom pedal will sound that great in it. I found using the G7.1ut and G1X in the HT-5 weren't great. They are processors far better suited to solid state amps.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 AM

Smile Re: Tone Sound Advice needed

Try A VOX Satchurator.. Nice and simple and it has a nice "MORE" switch giving you that extra bite and sustain on your solos...

I use it with Carvin Legacy combo and I always get great feedback on my tone @ gigs..

Plus it doesn't cost the earth..
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Reviews: 1

Try these if you can:
Maxon or Ibanez Super Tube screamer
MI Audio's Tube Zone
Marshall's Drive Master (original, hard to find, 2nd/h only) or the Jack Hammer (based on the original)
Rat's new pedal You Dirty Rat
Wampler's Pinnacle
Zoom's Hyper Lead or Tri Metal (hard to find, 2nd/h only)

If you want that singing sustain, try cascading two pedals together and turn down the tone controls a little to get rid of high frequencies to warm up the tone. Also try an EQ pedal after the drive pedals. It can do wonders for a 'flattish' tone. If you cascade two pedals, watch the volume and gain controls relative to each other, especially the first pedal into the next pedal. You can turn a decent sound into complete mush if you're not careful.

I've run in different setups:
-Marshall Drive Master into a Wampler Pinnacle
-MI Audio Crunchbox into MI Audio Tube Zone
-Maxon Super Tube Screamer into Wampler Pinnacle

all into a Mesa Rectoverb. Each combination provided great sounds and do slightly different things. Careful setup is the key and you need to be patient.

I've tried a host of other pedals, too. Some work together, some don't. I can only suggest you test. The pedals I've mentioned provide one way or another some form of compression. Some pedals don't compress enough when you turn up the gain so will always sound rather open and others don't really have enough gain (mild/medium overdrives) such as the TS9, however, a TS9 pushing into another pedal may be what's called for.

Experiment.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ofr all the great suggestions. I appreciate it !!!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM

If you want Peavey 5150-like, smooth, lots of middle sound, try AMT electronics Extreme III. MI audio CB is also great pedal, very similar to AMT. Pedals like Boss DS1, Satchurator, Jemini, etc have scooped middle, and it's hard to get smooth soloing sound, unless you put them in front of amp that has a lot of middle, like Marshall. If you want to use your amp's dirty channel as a base, and boost it for solos, Ibanez tubescreamer and it's derivations (TS9, 808, 10, 7, metalscreamer...) is always first choice! I tried a lot od pedals as a booster, and TS works best for me. MXR Zakk Wylde is also excellent booster, Boss SD1 gets job done also. Digitech Bad Monkey is kinda budget version of TS and it works pretty decent.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM

http://line6.com/community/thread/7249 That is for setting up a pod patch but it will give you a walkthrough of what you need to get close to that tone.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
http://line6.com/community/thread/7249 That is for setting up a pod patch but it will give you a walkthrough of what you need to get close to that tone.
Great Video, I also lnked from that page to the Line6 HD500.. Really great sounds came out of it !
Thanks
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibboom77 View Post
If you want Peavey 5150-like, smooth, lots of middle sound, try AMT electronics Extreme III. MI audio CB is also great pedal, very similar to AMT. Pedals like Boss DS1, Satchurator, Jemini, etc have scooped middle, and it's hard to get smooth soloing sound, unless you put them in front of amp that has a lot of middle, like Marshall. If you want to use your amp's dirty channel as a base, and boost it for solos, Ibanez tubescreamer and it's derivations (TS9, 808, 10, 7, metalscreamer...) is always first choice! I tried a lot od pedals as a booster, and TS works best for me. MXR Zakk Wylde is also excellent booster, Boss SD1 gets job done also. Digitech Bad Monkey is kinda budget version of TS and it works pretty decent.
Great Info, Thanks !
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The HT-5 is an awesome amplifier, sounds great at quite bedroom volumes, and awesome with a band. I've found it has a heap of gain, great for solos, but some may want a boost.

I recommend the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube overdrive to boost the amp. A great delay pedal in the loop like the Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper, Malekko Ekko 616, or MXR Carbon Copy is awesome too. I use the DL-8 and Malekko.

I don't think your Zoom pedal will sound that great in it. I found using the G7.1ut and G1X in the HT-5 weren't great. They are processors far better suited to solid state amps.
I connected my Zoom G2.1NU to the effects loop of the HT 5 today. It took me a while to dial in some good sounds because I had to tweak a lot of the settings I had from my Solid State Amp. I think eventually I could get some nice sounds, but If I get the HT5 , I think will go with real Pedals.
Thanks again
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 AM

I highly recommend an eq pedal... I had a satchurator... returned it cause of the tone. (very nasal sounding to me). got a jemini... then talked to people on here, and got the mxr 10 band eq, and it made the jemini sound like a new pedal. Brought out so much more that I didn't like the pedal by itself anymore. So I got the satchurator again to try and dial out the nasal sound, and it sounds great now. Doesnt anyone like the hot rod deluxe? I can pull so many styles of music through it and it sounds great... uh to me lol.

On another note I'd recommend getting a mod on your amp where you can run the tubes hot and keep the volume low. U get full tube play without blowing the ears its cheap and let's you really hear what the amp can do...
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Good info for all here.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 AM

Reviews: 120

You can build an attenuator that's safe for amps up to 30watts with minimal parts and cost.

HT-5 sounds awesome at low volumes as well as high, so an attenuator isn't really needed anyway.

Tags
smooth tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode