Total noob with recording - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Total noob with recording

Well I have been thinking lately how i would like to start recording some ideas and maybe laying down some tracks. My only problem is that i know literally noting about recording anything.

So what do i need to get started as far as hardware and software? Im looking to do this on a computer since stand alone units look a little more complex. I have been poking around on some websites looking at stuff to get going but i really don't know where to start. It all seems so confusing. Also I'm very poor and cant afford much, i wouldn't really want to spend more that $600. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 08:51 PM

Re: Total noob with recording

Alright, so what do you have? Mac, or PC?

If you have a PC (which you probably do), you might wanna try Cubase (Google it).

If you're running Mac, use GarageBand. Either program you can find tutorials on Youtube.

Then, you'll need an Recording Interface, which converts Analog (1/4 inch input or a low impedance) to Digital, (what the computer understands). These hook up via USB or FireWire normally. They run anywhere from 150-2000$. I suggest the Inspire 1394 if you can run Firewire.

Plug you're guitar into that interface, set a click track, press record and play you're soul out!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Reviews: 18

So, does the 600 include the pc? How extensive are you going to go with this? Meaning, are you going to want to add up more pre's in the future or are you going to keep the unit as is? Presonus makes some decent recording interfaces like the Firebox or the Firepod (now known as the FP-10), which have decent preamps and they won't cost you a ton of money. If you want to have flexibility in the future, then the Firestudio is the best bet. Check out this link:

http://www.uniquesquared.com/servlet....OemId=1064347

As far as a DAW is concerned, I would stay away from Cubase LE because it isn't flexible and it's expensive if you want to have all the features enabled. Instead, check out Reaper, which at 50 dollars for a single license offers a greater value than any DAW out there, especially if you're just going to get started with recording.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Reviews: 1

Or you might get an 8 track...No seriously, Check Steve and Joe's comments on going digital specially on the sampling frequency and the bit depth on the digital side. Super Colosal was recorded on digital.
Seriously though you might want to subscribe to Berklee Collegue Of Muisc Channel on Youtube as they give you lessons on how to use recording software. But only as a headstart.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 4

to be serious I record with 3 rockband(the game) mics and my laptop... you can buy cheap rockband mics on fle**** for like 5 bucks a piece and you could probably buy a cheap decent laptop for like $300-$450 at you local wal-mart, target, K-Mart, or Office Depot/Staples. You will get a pretty good sound for cheap and you don't have to spend thousands on studio equipment.. heres how I set my recording gear up(all I have is my laptop, 3 rockband mics, my guitar, cable, and amp) My setup -

Guitar -> Amp -> Mics(one center between the speakers, then one on each speaker(i have a 2x12 cabinet)) -> laptop -> Audacity(its free just search it on google)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:27 PM

Also check out the free download of Waves GTR Solo which will save you having to buy a mic, you just use it as a plugin in your recording software. The amp models are great check out my demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak2af9oFOqY
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 PM

basically what you need is a computer, an audio interface, and a DAW program.

Check out the Lexicon Alpha audio interface. It comes with a light version of Cubase, and it is only 80 bucks. You can always upgrade later.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

The $600 does not include the computer. I have a PC that i will use.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really had no idea what to look for.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

there's something called studying.
You should study first than start buying stuff you don't even know how to use.
There are thousands informations and sites about recording stuff.
Don't be lazy,google them.
I did that and when I started there weren't even computers so I had to buy a lot of books and magazines.
It doesn't matter how good an equipment is if who's controlling doesn't knows how to make it works .In my country the best studios have dumb audio engineers ,they have a wall of awesome equipments but their recordings sound like garage bands with a mic over them.
Studying is the best start ever.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Reaper and a dedicated computer, or if that is not feasible, a multiboot system with a dedicated HD for recording
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i think im going to buy the firebox. Looks like a good start. Plus it is very cheap! Thank you so much!

Tags
recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode