Totally Stumped, Need Advice!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Question Totally Stumped, Need Advice!!

Ok, I use a Jem 77fp and I play mainly classic rock and attempt some Vai, Satch and Petrucci which I will get more into in later years. I have tested out the Crate GLX1200 Half Stack, and the Line 6 Flextone III 2x12 version for countless hours. (I can get them both for 500) but when it comes down to it, I cant decide which, this is what ive come up with.

GLX1200 Half Stack : Great distortion, possibly limited range of tones with it though, the effects suffice but may not meet all requirements in the long run, but, its a half stack and ultimately has more power than the Flextone, clean is not bad...

Flextone III 2x12 : Great coverage of almost all classic rock tones, quiet versatile range to meet almost any need... Great clean which is complimented well by its many effects which arent bad either. Doesnt have that shred distortion that the crate has though... and does not have as much power...

what do you all think would be the rite choice? please explain, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 PM

Re: Totally Stumped, Need Advice!!

I would say from your description that you'll like the flextone better. For a live gig you can always send the 2x12 through the PA so power shouldn't be that big of a concern and you can probably find a pedal you like for the extra distortion.

On another note, i'm not really a fan of crate amps at all really. Especially the solid state units with effects.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Gex

My advice, dont get some solid state amp. You have a nice guitar, and its not right to spend that kinda dough for a nice guitar and plug it in some crappy crate or line6. I think its only right that you lay down some more cash for a great TUBE amp. The clarity and smoothess and deep level of dynamics and harmonics that a tube amp has are so rich and sound so great, it makes solid state and digital amps sound like transistor radios. If you want a good amp, walk straight to the back of Guitar Center and see what they got in the used section, where they can sometimes have GOOD amps for a change.

Get an good tube amp, several great ones can be had for less than $500, most for less than $300. Stuff like old Laney AORs, Carvin X100Bs, MTS's, and Valvemasters,Marshall JCM 900's and Artists, Ampeg VL100's, old Crate Stealth and Blue Voodoos, old Peavey Butchers and Ultras and VTMs and Classic 50s. RedBears are pretty good for the price, Sovteks are GREAT bang for buck rockers too.

There are LOADS of options to choose from with a used Tube amp, and it will sound much much better (especially for classic rock tones) than the Crates and EXPECIALLY better than the Line6s.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 12:40 AM

It depends on your budget. You could find some reasonably priced tube amps nowadays. If you want more versatility, you may want to check out Vox's Valvetronix range.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Gex

Versitility. . .haha, totally overrated. Its just another one of Line6's marketing ploys.

A raging tube amp is more amp than you need, you'll learn to use your fingers for different tones and styles rather than patch switching.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

solid state amps are fine for bedrooms and low volumes but will never compete in a live band situation. fogetaboutit.....
You like Vai's tone?

He's never used a solid state amp........
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:26 PM

Well, question is, what do you want to use it for. Even a 15W tube will be loud as funk in your bedroom, not mentioning trying to get it to sing at its "sweet spot". Of course you could get a tube head and run it through a THD hotplate into a speaker, but all this would be pricier. I would say: go to a store, play a nice tube amp, or two (turn it up!) and compare it to the Crate and the Flextone amd see hwo the tones match up. From the two you mentioned I would go with the Line6 though.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

The thing is, my budget pretty much is 500... so I cant get a JCM or anything like that... I had boughten a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe before and I loved the clean sound, but my ME-50 broke and the fender's distortion sucks so I sold it off... I will be using the amp for loud practices with myself, jamming with friends and probably will be gigging within a year or so... If you know a amp with a tag of up to 700 at guitar center (because guitar center gives 1/3 off if you try...) Its gotta be good wattage, and needs to have included effects as I am done with multi effects and dont have the extra money to buy a whole set of pedals... Thanks for your replies, keep em comin'
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Gex

I gave you a big list of all the amps I can think of that are commonly found for less than $500, and most of the time less than $300 and even $200. There are TONS of great tube amps out there, with excellent overdriven tones that are totally affordable, and I would take ANY one of those over any of those new amps from Guitar Center.

You'll just have to dig a little deeper to find them, but they're out there.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 11:19 PM

Fender Hot Rods are excellent amps. Great for rock, blues and country-rock. Wouldn't recommanded if you're looking to play Vai, Satch or Metal though.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 AM

Keep your eye out for a second hand Fender Prosonic Combo. I hear they are withing your price range.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
I gave you a big list of all the amps I can think of that are commonly found for less than $500, and most of the time less than $300 and even $200

sounds interesting...
Gex, can you advise about which ones, among the ones you listed, are good at giving good heavy metal distorsion?...
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:41 AM

Reviews: 2

Try finding one of these.They scream.
http://cgi.****.com/Marshall-DSL401-...QQcmdZViewItem
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinediva
sounds interesting...
Gex, can you advise about which ones, among the ones you listed, are good at giving good heavy metal distorsion?...

All of them are excellent at getting heavy metal distortion.

The Sovtek and Redbear will need an overdrive on the front, just like a good old Marshall. The Sovtek MIG-50 is an EXCELLENT marshall clone for cheap.

What kinda sound are you looking for? By Heavy Metal, I think "Judas Priest- You got another thing comin" but people have different opinions on "Heavy Metal"
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:24 PM

The all tube Peavey Valve King 100W 2x12 combo is selling for $499.00 at the M.F website - with free shipping. Huge bang for the buck. They'll have trouble keeping these in stock. Last time I checked, they were supposed to be available 9/7/05.

Tags
blue voodoo , crate blue voodoo , delay pedal , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , flextone iii , heavy metal , local guitar center , marshall dsl , paul gilbert , peavey jsx , peavey triple xxx , peavey valve king , peavey valveking , preamp tube , solid state amp , solid state amps , thd hotplate , tony iommi , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , tube head , valve king

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

should a guitar neck be totally straight?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode