Is this a trade worthy of attempting do ya think? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrose1201

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Is this a trade worthy of attempting do ya think?

Happy holidays!

I played a Friedman Runt 50 earlier this summer and it sounded pretty darn good but thought that I needed more options other than one clean channel and one with gain. To be fair I was not really a guitar pot turner. It was either all the way up or all the way down. I ended up buying a Mesa Boogie Mark V 35. While it sounds great it is a bit unwieldy in terms of switching between options in a live setting. As you may know between the clean having 3 different settings and the OD channel having 3 different settings, then add in the graphic equalizer, you have potential 8 options, if you throw in the midrange pot acting as another gain that gives you 10 possibilities. Throw in the fact that you can only really switch between 2 at a time on the footpedal, and if you try and go back and forth between the 3 cleans (Clean, Full, Crunch) you need to change settings for each….Whew! It makes gigging more difficult. The difficulties I face in a show band where there are so many tonal needs between songs makes the MB troubling! I need to go from disco clean, to jazz standards, to country to Kiss (believe it or not!) And of course, after playing with the Boogie I really discovered how important the guitars volume pot is in really controlling the tone of a top notch amp, and maybe all I really did need was something as simple as a 2 channel Freidman.
So I am wondering in your well informed opinions is it worth trying to trade for a Freidman? BTW, I am quitting the show band and hope to end up playing more straight ahead rock where the only clean I really need is I could get from turning the guitar down. All thoughts are as always greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:32 AM

Re: Is this a trade worthy of attempting do ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrose1201 View Post
Happy holidays!

I played a Friedman Runt 50 earlier this summer and it sounded pretty darn good but thought that I needed more options other than one clean channel and one with gain. To be fair I was not really a guitar pot turner. It was either all the way up or all the way down. I ended up buying a Mesa Boogie Mark V 35. While it sounds great it is a bit unwieldy in terms of switching between options in a live setting. As you may know between the clean having 3 different settings and the OD channel having 3 different settings, then add in the graphic equalizer, you have potential 8 options if you throw in the midrange pot acting as another gain that gives you 10 possibilities. Throw in the fact that you can only really switch between 2 at a time on the foot pedal, and if you try and go back and forth between the 3 cleans (Clean, Full, Crunch) you need to change settings for each….Whew! It makes gigging more difficult. The difficulties I face in a show band where there are so many tonal needs between songs makes the MB troubling! I need to go from disco clean, to jazz standards, to country to Kiss (believe it or not!) And of course, after playing with the Boogie I really discovered how important the guitars volume pot is in really controlling the tone of a top notch amp, and maybe all I really did need was something as simple as a 2 channel Freidman.
So I am wondering in your well-informed opinions is it worth trying to trade for a Freidman? BTW, I am quitting the show band and hope to end up playing more straight-ahead rock where the only clean I really need is I could get from turning the guitar down. All thoughts are as always greatly appreciated.
This is a good topic. I am a Mesa fan so hearing how one did not perform well in context is enlightening. I've played musicals which can be stylistically schizophrenic so I understand what you are talking about on the musical side of things. Since you are quitting one band and joining another, perhaps keep the Mesa to find out if it works for what you will be playing. I say that because the shortcomings of an amp in one situation may thrive in another. As for the trade, give it a shot. There are some good deals on the used market right now. It is a little weird.

Tags
friedman , mesa boogie , trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode