Trem cover back plate - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Trem cover back plate

Hmmm why do so many guitars not have them?
I mean, do people lose them?
:P

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 08:42 AM

many pro players have their techs taking the cover off because they're always dealing with the guitar's setup, and since they need to work on springs and the springs-claw screws, they cant loose time unscrewing all those 6 useless screws anytime!

none of my guitars has the trem cover on, i like to see them underskirt...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 12:27 PM
EKG

I leave them on most of the time.

I leave them off of my hardtails, though ;-)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 01:54 PM

LOL!

mine are all off. pretty much the first thing i do when i get a guitar is set it up (and usually, that involves straightening the springs in back since a surprising # of people put 'em in an arrow configuration) .. and once that trem conver comes off, it never gets back on cause i do this far too often.

anal retentive? fsck yeah, lol.

however, all the backplates and screws are lying safely in a tray on my desk

~A
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

If you play naked - don't u run the risk on getting things caught in the springs?

(i just made everyone grab their groins in fear)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 02:48 PM

I like em on, to me it feels wrong without it.
I also have a problem with the tone control too I have to have it on 9, don't ask me why I just do. It maybe some kind of compulsive disorder thing. I find myself checking it about five times a song.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 09:33 PM

I leave mine on, I've actually gotten loose clothing caught in the springs.

Also, I've started using a foam pad in the trem cavity to stop the springs from vibrating with the strings, annoys the hell out of me, so I need the cover on to keep the pad in place.

I can understand the annoyance of having to keep pulling those screws, but that's why I have a small electric screw driver.

Mic
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
Also, I've started using a foam pad in the trem cavity to stop the springs from vibrating with the strings, annoys the hell out of me, so I need the cover on to keep the pad in place.
stuff the foam behind the springs..

~A
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
stuff the foam behind the springs..
I tried that, for some reason it ended up bunched up between the trem block and the body.

Pulling up suddenly got really stiff . . .

Mic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 09:51 PM

if i could get a backplate from those newfangled edgepro03 guitars, i'd put it back on, and put some foam in too ..

~A
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 12:28 AM

On my (almost) main guitar. I have 2 springs, at an angle on my floyd. Cover always off. With only two springs, it's easier to "flutter" the trem. Also, I was experiminting with pickup and pot chages for a while, the cover for the electronics has been off for over a year! And since it hangs on the wall, I don't see it missing, and I don't look behind it playing it or putting it in the case. So I just forget about it. But even now thinking about it, I can't say that it bothers me much. My bass has active pickups, so I only keep in 2 of the 6 or so screws in the cover. I have a tendency to leave the cord pulgged in sometimes, killing the battery overnight.
Darin
Oh, in reference to the original question? "Do people lose them?" I'm not sure if it's lost, I never looked for it. But I don't think I could find it.

Tags
claw screws , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode