Tried many amps today (mini round-up review) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Tried many amps today (mini round-up review)

I had a really great time demoing a lot of amps today. I happened to be browsing the web for info about Splawns a few weeks ago, and turns out that one of Splawn's biggest dealers lives only about 45 minutes away at his in-house run store, Rebel Amps. Splawns aren't the only thing he deals though. He deals Splawn, Cornford (sadly, none were in at the time), ENGL, Diesel, Framus, Elmwood, Traynor, Voodoo, Wizard, Vigier Guitars, and he is currently looking to become a Suhr dealer.

Anyways, I spent a couple of hours demoing some amps, and I was able to really crank them up, let them breathe, and play them the way they were meant to be played.

First up was the ENGL Ritchie Blackmore ($1600). It has a very Marshall-ish tone, and, it's controls are relatively simple (4 channels). I was pretty impressed. Good cleans, good overdriven sounds, really nice footswitch. It did lack a little of the high-mids prevalent in most Marshalls though. This is either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what sound you prefer.

Next was the Splawn Quickrod with El34's ($1800). Let me tell you, this is the tone I've come to appreciate and love. It's basically a Plexi and a JCM800 combined into one, with all the things that the Marshalls lack. The first channel gave a really nice clean channel that offered some really good Hendrix/SRV tones when given a touch of gain. Add a little bit more, and you're into AC/DC land. After adjusting some controls, EVH's esteemed brown sound becomes very achievable (no wonder Al Estrada, from the acclaimed EVH tribute band uses Splawns). OD2 is more like a JCM800, perfect for the whole "shred/virtuoso" style. OD3 is basically like OD2, but with even more gain. I was nailing the Whitesnake and Alice in Chains tones. My dad used to play heavily around Memphis back in the 70's with his Plexi, and he was thoroughly convinced that this is the best amp he's heard since then. Surprisingly, the amp sounds really good at bedroom volumes too. Anyways, this amp screamed, and it's everything a Marshall is and isn't, and then some.

Then I moved onto the ENGL Powerball V2 ($1900). This thing is to Mesa Boogie as Splawn is to Marshall. The Powerball has some really great metal tones. It has that distinctive preamp gain, but it manages to keep from becoming an all-out buzzy mess while still retaining articulation and tightness. If you're into modern metal and hi-gain tones, the Powerball is for you. The cleans were a little sterile, but that's somewhat expected with this amp. I could see this amp working really well with a seven string.

The next amp I tried was the ENGL Invader ($2700). This is basically a Marshall-voiced amp (EL-34's) with a computer on board, no lie. The MIDI capabilities on this amp were endless. The cleans were good on the amp, as were the overdriven/distorted sounds. However, the flexibility and extra "technology" on the amp comes at an extra price. Since I don't use that many effects and MIDI devices, this amp really isn't for me.

Then I had the chance to demo a Voodoo Amps V-Plex 50w ($2500). The V-Plex is pretty much a clone of a very good, classic Marshall Plexi. It hit the Plexi tones probably better than the Splawn, but the V-Plex doesn't really get into high gain territory. You really need a boost with this amp to get an "soaring" type lead tones. The V-Plex nails the Plexi tone, but that's about it. It's a relatively expensive, one-trick pony.

Then I tried the most expensive of them all ($5000), the Wizard Modern Classic, designed by Angus Young's tech. This amp didn't have that much gain (like the V-Plex), but it really had some balls. It was probably the "loudest" amp we tried. If you want to simply move some air, the Wizard is for you. For $5000 though, I couldn't justify the price.

Finally, I tried a little 1x12 Elmwood Bonneville 50w combo ($2700). This little Swedish surprise completely changed my thoughts on combos. If you want a combo that has some serious volume and grit, you would like the Elmwood. Supposedly, the Elmwood is similar to a Mesa Boogie Mark II, which I have never had the chance to play.

When it was all said and done though, I was left impressed most by the Splawn Quickrod and the ENGL Powerball. They are both priced around $1850, and in today's high-end boutique amp market, that's a pretty good price. If you're into modern metal (thrash, death metal, even modern Dream Theater tones), the Powerball is great. However, if you're into the hard rock/80's shred metal thing (Van Halen, Vinnie Moore, Whitesnake, Vai, Ratt, even Trower) like I am, the Splawn is the way to go.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share my experience and thoughts.

Last edited by waylay00; 08-11-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 AM

Question Re: Tried many amps today (mini round-up review)

Bro, is it fair to assume that all the amps You listed except the Elmwood were Heads, and the prices did not include the appropriate cabs?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:55 AM

Re: Tried many amps today (mini round-up review)

I <3 ENGL
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Yes, everything was a head, except the Elmwood, run through a 4x12 Splawn Cabinet with x pattern speakers (forgot the brand, maybe two Governors and two Man-O-Wars?)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 PM

I'm saving for a Powerball as we speak.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 PM

I dont think you're quite as picky as I am.. Weren't there any other negative things about any of the amps, other then a sterile clean channel and lack of gain? This kind of reminds me of a gear review in guitar world magazine. lol
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:07 PM

I've tried on the invader and wasnt quite happy with the dist tones, its bit dull, and harsh,...and yes it does seem to be voiced after marshalls...thats probably why it didnt sounded good to my ears
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:48 PM

I have yet to try a Splawn but they have had my interest for quite some time. If I could play one I am sure I would have purchased one by now.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
I dont think you're quite as picky as I am.. Weren't there any other negative things about any of the amps, other then a sterile clean channel and lack of gain? This kind of reminds me of a gear review in guitar world magazine. lol
Well keep in mind that these are all really good amps.

Regardless, besides sounding bad, what other things could you possibly say that would be negative?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Regardless, besides sounding bad, what other things could you possibly say that would be negative?
How about pricey?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 AM

Red face Re: Tried many amps today (mini round-up review)

Thx fer the reviews, Waylay!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart View Post
How about pricey?
That too.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Well keep in mind that these are all really good amps.

a few examples could be

fx loop is noisy
noise between channel switch
limited footswitch design
noisy amp
as for sounding bad, though all these amps are high priced- i cant imagine every one of them sounded good for both rhythm n lead, without using pedals..

i hear so much about how good the rectifiers are, and it seemed to be only the real good players said they were ****... i finally tried one a few years ago and they were exactly like I was warned about.. awsome for playing stuff like linkin park, bad for playing any sort of lead.. its very hard to go by someones word when you don't know how good or bad their ear is-- especially when they don't say anything negative about the gear.. just a thought..

its similar to harmony central gear reviews-- most of the people who post are just horny from buying a new purchase and make it sound god-like..
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Then I moved onto the ENGL Powerball V2 ($1900). This thing is to Mesa Boogie as Splawn is to Marshall. The Powerball has some really great metal tones. It has that distinctive preamp gain, but it manages to keep from becoming an all-out buzzy mess while still retaining articulation and tightness. If you're into modern metal and hi-gain tones, the Powerball is for you. The cleans were a little sterile, but that's somewhat expected with this amp. I could see this amp working really well with a seven string.
I really need to get some playtime on an Engl. They're quite popular over at www.sevenstring.org with the same set who at least appreciates the Rectifier, but every single recording I've heard of one hasn't been particularly Mesa-esq. They sound more like their own thing than Splawn would in relation to a Marshall, near as I can tell... But again, I've never gotten to play one.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
a few examples could be

fx loop is noisy
noise between channel switch
limited footswitch design
noisy amp
as for sounding bad, though all these amps are high priced- i cant imagine every one of them sounded good for both rhythm n lead, without using pedals..

i hear so much about how good the rectifiers are, and it seemed to be only the real good players said they were ****... i finally tried one a few years ago and they were exactly like I was warned about.. awsome for playing stuff like linkin park, bad for playing any sort of lead.. its very hard to go by someones word when you don't know how good or bad their ear is-- especially when they don't say anything negative about the gear.. just a thought..

its similar to harmony central gear reviews-- most of the people who post are just horny from buying a new purchase and make it sound god-like..

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Nome of the amps were particularly noisy, all of them had good footswitches. We were running straight through, so I didn't really test the effects loops.

Anyways, this whole test drive was mainly to hear what the amps sounded like, since that's the most important thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I really need to get some playtime on an Engl. They're quite popular over at www.sevenstring.org with the same set who at least appreciates the Rectifier, but every single recording I've heard of one hasn't been particularly Mesa-esq. They sound more like their own thing than Splawn would in relation to a Marshall, near as I can tell... But again, I've never gotten to play one.

You're correct, they do have their own vibe, moreso than Splawn does to Mesa. But they both still have that distinctive, almost "buzz", preamp gain. To my ears, the Powerball sounded a little more "liquidy" than a Rectifier.

Tags
angus young , death metal , engl powerball , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , preamp gain , ritchie blackmore , van halen , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode