tried a POD sadly dissapointed!! :( - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

tried a POD sadly dissapointed!! :(

Well i was looking for a more convenient way to record my electrics for some projects i'm working on, and thought well the POD is only 200 smackers now so i'll give it a shot, after hearing so many wonderful things about it being the saviour of home recording (even professional some say)

However I was bowled over by how "direct" and lifeless the recorded sound is. Plugged into a power amp i think it sounds great, nice emulations of all the mentioned amps (still not as convincing as my sansamp gt2 modellor though) but when recording, for what it is supposed to be best at, it sounded just like every other plug multi effects box i've used direct before. Very sad, and I took it back.

I tried for 2 days to get a decent sound from it but failed, perhaps it was me..but I tried recording the same stuff the day after using my Sansamp GT2 a marshall and a Shure SM57 and it sounds wonderful.

Maybe if i never had the luxory of micing in the past then my ears would find the POD ok...but something just doesn't agree.

DOes anyone know if the VAMP is any better? I mean its cheaper so i'm thinking its gonna be pretty much the same thing or not even as good as the POD. Lemme know I'm not a techie dinosaur I really wanted to like the line6 stuf etc etc but so far i've heard nothing direct (well perhjaps pro-tools plugs) that would convince me to use it on an actual recording.

LAter

track7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 05:19 PM

I'd have to agree.. The direct sounds I get with the POD are mediocre.. And it sounds like total ass plugged into my Mesa Mark IV. But somehow it sounds amazing through my little POS Peavey Rage.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 06:07 PM

Youve gotta remember there are different issues of the pod and different upgrades. Do you know what version you were using? For one thing its 200 dollars. If you do it right youll get the right tones, but some purest just arent happy with anything. Tone is subjective and little things tick me off that wouldnt anyone else and vice versa. Im a big support of the line6 products now and they continue to get better and better. You have to look at what the product was designed to do. Alot of people have branched off and used it for different things. Personally the vetta is bar none the best thing Ive used but to each his own I guess. In the words of Charles Darwin, evolve or die
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Hey i hear ya..i'm all for technology moving forwards yaboo etc etc I had arms wide open. But it just wasn't for me. I'm quite demanding.

I had the pod version 2, and it wasn't 200 bucks it was 200 english pounds which makes it around the same as in america.

I know what it was designed to do like i said I had to praise it very highly in a live situation like i said through headphones etc it blew me away. The irony is that from what people had told me they said it was fantastic through direct recording but average through amps and headphones...i'm saying i found it the other way around.

On a side note what is it about dynamic mics that just records electric guitars better than anything else. I mean my 80 quid SM57 records a much more "true" clean cool tone than my 200 quid RODE NT1 condensor...tis weird.

tarck7
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 06:37 PM

The sure sm57 is like oxygen. Everybody needs it. lol. Personally alot of guitarist hate direct recording. Because essentially thats the way they dont hear their sound.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 08:30 PM

oh well, one man's trash is another man's treasure. also, opinions are like @$$hole$, everyone has one and everyone think's everyone else's stinks except their's. i personally love them. line6 has done a remarkable job in the emulation/modeling field and as i have to agree that they will never replace tubes, they have afford working musicians the aboility to get like tones of a soldano X88R, mesa dual recto, fender blackface twin, roland jc-120, marshall jtm45, mesa/boogie mark II c+, vox ac-30, and countless others and most of their respective cabs for less than $300. if line6 would give me an endorsement, i'd be on it with no stipulations cuz i love the product. i gave up 5150s for them. as i am still a tube amp fan over digital, the line6- pod in particular, made life simpler. less worries about failing tubes, feedback, noise, outboard gear and mic'ing. i weighed the pros and cons and the pros of the line6 totally outweighed the cons, i know that digital and tube will always be a hot topic for guitarists to debate over time, but i am glad that someone was able to let myself and others a chance to otherwise "own" a $2500 soldano and $1200 mesa as well as a $1500 fender next to a $1000 marshall.

rich
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:23 PM

Thats what its all about in the end. And if your power amp has tubes that makes thing s that much more to your liking
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 12:54 AM

I really don't mean this to be a slam at you, Track 7, but I've been using a Pod for nearly two years and I am still learning new things about it every time I record. If I would have spent only two days with it, I would have sent it back as well. In fact, I can say that about most guitar amps or preamps I've owned. The Pod appears to be a very simple piece of gear, but it is anything but simple. I only stuck with mine because I heard some recordings Ty Tabor from King's X made with his and I was blown away. I also completely abandoned the presets and just started every tone from scratch. Again, I am not slamming your ear, your tastes, or your persistance, I'm just saying that you probably should have given it more of a chance. At the end of a project, I'm always amazed at how well the tones from the Pod work in the overall mix. Also, I'm certainly not trying to talk you back into using something you didn't enjoy. If you have a system of recording guitar that works for you, then stick with it and best of luck.

Kent
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 02:30 AM

Let me put it like this. The pod is like learning guitar. You have to learn how the play the pod as well. hehe
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 03:24 AM

I dunno about the POD. I've only done a couple of recordings using one. I think it sounded a bit one-dimensional, but it fit in the mix pretty well.
I've got better results using an old Mesa Studio pre-amp and stomp boxes.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 06:53 AM

Thing about pods is they emulate the sound, and that is all it is, emulation. It'll sound cool, and I like the sound through headphones, but when cranked it just doesn't sound that brilliant to be honest. It doesn't come "alive", no real character to it...

But this is just me, and I do prefer slamming a mike in front of a 4x12 and cranking it...

They are nice if you want a lot of different sounds
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:45 AM

"Emulated", well said 7 Dying Trees! My pod is only used for late night playing once the family is asleep. It's a bargain at $250 to be able to use it so many ways but you do get what you pay for.
I would hate to think that I have spent thousands of dollars on equipment when I only needed to spend $250
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 09:29 AM

I've been playing a Flextone XL and a Spider 2x12 for a little over a year now. The Flextone is my gigging amp and the Spider my practice amp. I can tell you that the Line 6 amps, like the PODs which I have also used are quirky. They ARE emulations but they all rarely act the same way. Line 6 really kind of engineered them to react much in the way that a guitar players "wish list" for amps would react. The Fender Twin overdrives ridicously faster than a real Twin does. The Soldanos don't really have a lowered gain level; it's all or nothing with them.

But within these sounds is where you can really get things going and sounding good. It takes some fiddling and trials but I know with my amps I had some great sounds...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
The Fender Twin overdrives ridicously faster than a real Twin does.
Thanks, I'm glad somebody else noticed that...I find it hard to even get a straight clean tone with the twim model. Drives me buggie!
Greg
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
The Soldanos don't really have a lowered gain level; it's all or nothing with them.
I know what you mean. I leave the gain at about 3 for one of my presets, and it really doesn't sound that different than when it's on 10.. I was starting to think my POD was defective.

Tags
clean tone , distorted tone , distorted tones , dual recto , dunlop crybaby , electric guitar , epi les paul , fender twin , guitar players , les paul , marshall jtm , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , mesa mark , power amp , practice amp , roland jazz chorus , stomp box , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode