Troubles with Rivera TBR-1SL Tone.. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Troubles with Rivera TBR-1SL Tone..

Well I got my C212 cabinet today (open back stereo 2x12) so now the tone fun begins

Wow the clean tone is GREAT. Best I've ever played on. But the distortion channel leaves something to be desired.. It's just a bit too fizzly for me. My tubes are 10 years old (just checked) so those certainly need to be replaced, but in my experience worn out tubes don't really make the tone buzzier.. just with less gain. Any tips? The sound is great but I'd like to smooth out the lead channel a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:47 PM

I've found fresh tubes to make a HUGE difference in the tone of the TBRs that I've had. I'll try to post my lead channel settings this evening if I get a chance. The P-Comp control can definitely make a difference, as can the midrange control. The best bet would be to pop some fresh tubes in ASAP and start from there. It's a trial-and-error thing before you find "the" tone for your ears, but you should definitely be able to get it with the TBR.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks The clean channel absolutely blows me away.. but the dirty channel is just too hairy for me right now. I guess I'll have to wait for my next paycheck, I'm thinking about ordering a set of ElectroHarmonix tubes, then I've got to get the amp biased.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 10:35 PM

contact Paul Rivera and ask him. He is really good about that. He might even be able to help you pick the right tubes for you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 01:32 AM

A closed back might do it too... sounds like the classic symptoms, 3-D clean tone, but the distortion's just too fuzzy...

-D
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 08:30 AM

For what it's worth, i found the exact same thing when i tried out a used S-120 in a store a few weeks ago, and that was through a closed-back 4x12 Marshall cab. Glorious cleans, but a completely unsatisfying distorted tone for me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 11:24 AM

Its been said before, but you really have to know how to work with a Rivera. It is sometimes difficult to find your tone in a store with some of the models. I am a huge Rivera fan and I was in a store that had a used M60, the amp was not mint and I could not find a good tone in it. I stopped playing it and switched to another Rivera (Fandango?) and it sounded so incredible, other musicians in the store gathered around to see what I was playing. There was something wrong with the M60, probably had old tubes and needed a good going over. My amp is similiar to the M60 and sounds phenomenal.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I'll try tubes then. If it's the cabinet I'm going to be pissed. I paid $1000 Canadian and they said it would take 3 business days to get the cabinet. Yesterday I think was just over 9 weeks. I don't want to know what kind of pain I'll have to endure to swap cabinets..

Just spent an hour noodling with it. The distortion channel sounds truly terrible. ARRRGHHH
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 04:20 PM

I definitely would have gone with a closed-back cab with the TBR, but...the open-back could be fine too. I tried several open- and half-back cabs with both of my TBRs and they just weren't right.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

I just spoke with Paul Rivera (what a nice guy!) and he gave me a few tricks for A/Bing it with my Mark IV's speaker.. I guess I'll retube the amp and if it doesn't do wonders, then I bought the wrong cabinet.. Damn... Cost me $1000 CAD and I know there's no way I'd get my money back
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 12:02 AM

Yep. Just what I wanted to say. Wrong cab. May sound excellent with another amp (or with the same amp totally cranked), doesn't sound good with this one. Invest in less harsh speakers (EVM 12L for example) like I did.

Tags
clean tone , distorted tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode