Trussrod adjusting tool! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Trussrod adjusting tool!

Back in the day I bought my RG1570 used, it was shipped without the tool for adjusting the trussrod. Now with my own socket tool I can adjust the trussrod only when all strings are taken off which is no way good because we need strings to be in tune to adjust the trussrod! Where do I can get an adjusting tool for the trussrod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Re: Trussrod adjusting tool!

NEVER EVER EVER adjust the truss rod with the strings in tune, the neck must be non tension to properly adjust the trussrod

the only time you can adjust a trussrod while in tension is a dual action trussrod only

but go to stew mac, they have tons of trussrod tools
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Vendor

Ever find anybody that actually agrees with you?

Always adjust the truss at the tension the neck will be played.
post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
NEVER EVER EVER adjust the truss rod with the strings in tune, the neck must be non tension to properly adjust the trussrod

the only time you can adjust a trussrod while in tension is a dual action trussrod only

but go to stew mac, they have tons of trussrod tools
who told you this? this is an awful foolish statement
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Must be the medication talking.
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:36 PM

...on a semi-related note, I've often heard that one should never, ever try to tune a guitar if there are strings on it.

Sorry...guess I took my snarky-pills this morning.
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
who told you this? this is an awful foolish statement
I usually adjust the truss rods of my Ibanez with the strings on, but his statement actually retains some validity (although not to the point of "NEVER EVER EVER"). The little allen/hex nuts on some guitars (like the newer Strats) can strip easily if you don't ease some tension. I would know because I foolishly did so myself. I sent the neck to John Suhr (head of Suhr guitars/former master luthier at the Fender Custom Shop) to be repaired, and he told me to slacken the strings before I adjusted next time.
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM

simply, the metals used in truss rods and the nut arent that great, they retain tension and length by spec, but when you tighten it under a full tune its eats away at the threads more than without a tension..and it doesnt matter what you guys THINK, i had a couple carvins, and i listen to them, they have some of the best techs and even my tech dan torres said the same thing

along with tensioning the nut without a full tension on the neck it is also wise to adjust it with no tension because you get more true or releif with the neck when the strings are not in tune..just that when you have strings in tune and you turn the nut yoiu get little to no efect compared to doing it without a tune the smallest adjustment makes a huge difference, and it doesnt aclimate too far over and need another readjustment

and all the tech ive ever talked to have always told me the same thing
each and every one
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ever find anybody that actually agrees with you?

Always adjust the truss at the tension the neck will be played.
Im suprised anyone even bothers reading his replies anymore.
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Im suprised anyone even bothers reading his replies anymore.
Same reason people rubberneck on the road, morbid interest.
post #11 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Vendor

1570, steel truss rod, brass nut. Please. Although I have no idea what's in a Chibanez, and really don't care to find out.
Every tech? But this one. Now see if you can find any online tutorials on truss adjustment that agree with the "every tech" theory.
post #12 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Dan Torres hates you.
post #13 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Dan Torres hates you.
im a monthly regular

the guy absolutely loves me!!!
post #14 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
1570, steel truss rod, brass nut. Please. Although I have no idea what's in a Chibanez, and really don't care to find out.
Every tech? But this one. Now see if you can find any online tutorials on truss adjustment that agree with the "every tech" theory.
you guys are all like nazis

i dont get it, are you just braindead or is the worls spining backwards

the reason they use brass nuts is to prevent tearing the actual rod..but thats only some guitars.....with most high end guitars, even with dual action trussrods, they use steel to steel

and technicaly, if you do some research youll see more info on how tightening a truss rod under tension only leads to problems

when i got my carvin they told me its a dual action trussrod, and you can now tighten it under string tension, but for years ou werent supposed to

my warmoth...the packet that came with it, strickly prohibited and stared to never tighten the trussrod with tension on the neck...so you all can rot in heaven becasue not only do my techs tell me this BUT IT ALSO IS STATED on the included papers with my warmoth, and I DO TRUST WARMOTH OVER MOST ANY BODY EDUCATED IN GUITARS
post #15 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM

That's not what he was telling me.
Closed Thread

Tags
custom shop , fender custom shop , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , john suhr , les paul , rod adjustment , string tension , suhr guitars , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments , truss rod nut , truss rods , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode