TSL 601 Replacement tube - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

TSL 601 Replacement tube

hey.. i need to replace one of my power tubes in my Marshall. Whats the goin price for a Svetlana EL34 approximately. 10 bucks.. or like 40 bucks.. cause i have no idea.. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:57 AM

No idea what the cost, but AFAIK you should change both powertubes at the same time.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 12:19 PM

Most power tubes will be sold in matched pairs or quads. I'm sure that you probably COULD buy singles, but...it's not really recommended. You'd be far better off replacing all of them at the same time.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

ok well.. i don't have to change all the tubes at the same time right.. as in.. both the power tubes and preamps.. it would be ok just to change all the powe without changing preamp correct??
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 12:33 PM

It's perfectly fine to just change the power tubes. Preamp tubes don't usually need changed unless you're looking for a different sound or one burns out
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:16 PM

It IS advisable that you re-bias the amp. Some amps are self-biasing or whatever. This amp is not self-biasing as to be expected with most tube amps (unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer(s)). The amp may not perform correctly if you swap the tubes without re-biasing.

Mike 777 Haug
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

ok guys.. i put new power tubes in the amp sounds much better.. my tone has improved dramatically.. but after about say 20 minutes of playing i still get this bad crackle in the speaker.. doesn't matter how loud the amp is set. it's always the same crackle at any volume. it's not constant. it happens about every 2 seconds for just a a split second. i looked at the tubes i just put in.. they are fine. the preamp tubes are all lit.. not glowing red like some have said can be a sign for bad ones. it seems to me that if i turned the amp volume all the way down that sound would stop.. but it's not.. any idea??? speaker problems?? interference in the wire from the preamp to the speaker. help me out.. i wanna sell the thing and i want no problems with it when i sell it.. thanks guys
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 01:11 PM

Does the crackle get louder or quieter in relation to the amp volume?

-D
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

no the crackle is at a constant volume regardless if the amp is loud or soft
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:
ok guys.. i put new power tubes in the amp sounds much better.. my tone has improved dramatically.. but after about say 20 minutes of playing i still get this bad crackle in the speaker.. doesn't matter how loud the amp is set. it's always the same crackle at any volume. it's not constant. it happens about every 2 seconds for just a a split second. i looked at the tubes i just put in.. they are fine. the preamp tubes are all lit.. not glowing red like some have said can be a sign for bad ones. it seems to me that if i turned the amp volume all the way down that sound would stop.. but it's not.. any idea??? speaker problems?? interference in the wire from the preamp to the speaker. help me out.. i wanna sell the thing and i want no problems with it when i sell it.. thanks guys
I am having the exact same problem... you might actually find that not only are you getting the crackle sound, but you might be getting volume swell problems too. It's especially noticable at louds volumes, where your playing away, and then the volume goes down... for about 30 seconds os so (maybe less), and then goes back up loud again (for 5 second).. and iterates like that..

see this thread: http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=29566
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:15 PM

also, I want to know (in an effort to fix my case of the same problem), if you use the FX return, instead of the main input (so in effect - bypassing the preamp), do you still use the preamp tubes?

if not, then the problem can't exist in the pre-amp tubes, which could be a good way of trouble shooting a problem like this?

if this is infatc true, then a person experiencing a problem where he/she is unsure about the state of the preamp tubes, they could use the FX return input instead, and then see if the original problem exists?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 09:20 PM

Quote:
also, I want to know (in an effort to fix my case of the same problem), if you use the FX return, instead of the main input (so in effect - bypassing the preamp), do you still use the preamp tubes?

if not, then the problem can't exist in the pre-amp tubes, which could be a good way of trouble shooting a problem like this?

if this is infatc true, then a person experiencing a problem where he/she is unsure about the state of the preamp tubes, they could use the FX return input instead, and then see if the original problem exists?
also, if this was the case (that the preamp tubes did not get used), then if it was your normal setup to use the FX return, then could you take the preamp tubes out completely, and not replace them?

would this work ok?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

there are no swells in the volume. the amp crackles even when nothing is plugged into the amp. nothing in the input and nothing in the loop. it also crackles still even when all the gains/volumes of all the channels are completely turned to 0.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:44 AM

Change the power amp tubes. Should do the trick.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

i changed the power tubes, not even 2 weeks ago, dramatically fixed the tone but i still get crackles

Tags
power amp , preamp tube , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode