Tube Amp Boost - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Smile Tube Amp Boost

Hey,
I've got some gigs coming up with my band and i have a 30watt class a tube amp combo (Strauss SV-CL30), I play rhythm and lead and for the solos i need a big volume (and maybe gain) boost. I have a Digitech RP80 which i usually use and it works fine but i want to use the raw amp tone (Tubes ). I have a Boss DS-1 but it doesnt provide a volume boost and the amp footswitch doesnt have a boost feature so i was wondering how i could get a good boost for cheap or even free? I also have tried playing my rhythm parts on half guitar volume and it just doesnt cut it when i solo because i like to be loud. A stompbox that goes half volume when you press it would be good. If anyone can help me it would be appreciated.
Cheers
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Tube Amp Boost

Clean boost Pedal will do the job. There are a number of them on the market. Go to your local music shop and ask to try out a few. Choose the one that works for you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:08 AM

One of my friends swears by the Chandler Tube Driver pedal.He plays Beatles and Stones stuff kind of a vintage vibe with Fender Twins and Gibson Sg he loves it.Sounds good to me and keeps things so simple.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 05:22 AM

A clean boost won't boost your volume if you are using overdrive it will just push the preamp tubes harder and cause more compression. I think you either need a volume pedal or an eq pedal with the volume cut to drop the volume when it is on?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 AM

Clean boost in the FX loop. Should work a treat.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 AM

Reviews: 1

Just googled your amp specs. You have an effects loop. Place an EQ in the loop and adjust it in an upside down smile (sad) and increase the output level. When time for solo, kick it in.

The EQ set this way will push the mids higher letting you cut through. The output level set higher will increase the output volume.

If you've tried pushing the front end of your amp with pedals and the amp is already overdriven, in most cases all you're doing is further compressing the signal in the preamp. There will be no real noticable volume increase. You'll get more sustain than anything.

A lot of people don't seem to understand this.

On the flip side, if the amp gain were set clean (or if you're on the clean channel), boosting the front will give you an increase in volume. This is because you have headroom which allows a larger signal in (from the pedal) before being compressed.

Have you noticed that on some 2ch amps the dirty channel volume is higher than the clean channel? This is becasue the dirty channel is more compressed than the clean channel.

This is my simple explanation..... maybe others can get more technical.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

thankyou for the advice, i was wondering if there was a volume pedal in a stompbox, one that had a single knob and button, with the knob you could set the volume with the pedal on and then when you press the button to turn the pedal off it by passes it. Sorry i also forgot to add that i do use a fair bit of distortion, I play Classic Rock (Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, Ect...)
Thanks for the explanation Blaklynx I completley understand what you mean. Do you think if I used my dirty channel for rhythm then switched to my clean channel and clicked on my DS-1 in for the solos it would work?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Reviews: 25

Cant he just use his pedal by turning the drive or gain or distorion down to 1 and use the vol or level to your desired vol boost.. and there you go
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosey View Post
thankyou for the advice, i was wondering if there was a volume pedal in a stompbox, one that had a single knob and button, with the knob you could set the volume with the pedal on and then when you press the button to turn the pedal off it by passes it. Sorry i also forgot to add that i do use a fair bit of distortion, I play Classic Rock (Guns N Roses, Whitesnake, Ect...)
Thanks for the explanation Blaklynx I completley understand what you mean. Do you think if I used my dirty channel for rhythm then switched to my clean channel and clicked on my DS-1 in for the solos it would work?
Depends if your happy with the DS1's sound/tone running into your clean channel. It would also mean that you have to tap dance twice, to switch to your clean ch and then turn on the DS1 (I assume that's what you have to do).

Isn't it just easier to place an EQ in the loop and only press one switch and retain the drive characteristics of your amp? It's what you want according to your 1st post.

The Danelectro Fish n' Chips is a good EQ and cheap. Many people like it. I have one as well as an MXR 10 band.

Also, an EQ can do wonders for your tone.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Cant he just use his pedal by turning the drive or gain or distorion down to 1 and use the vol or level to your desired vol boost.. and there you go
Like a clean boost? I suppose you could try it. I think the sound/tone will suffer with any OD/Dist pedal in the loop. EQ's are meant to be clean...what goes in, goes out (boosted/attenuated frequencies) with the core sound of your amp intact.

I've never had success with any OD/Dist pedal sounding great in a loop. They simply don't belong there....... YMMV
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

I think im gonna put a EQ in my loop, thanks for the advice

Kyle
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:50 AM

im having the same problems when using a holy grail verb in my 6505 loop (signal loss)

probly gonna look to get the mxr m109 to boost when doing leads live
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaklynx View Post
Just googled your amp specs. You have an effects loop. Place an EQ in the loop and adjust it in an upside down smile (sad) and increase the output level. When time for solo, kick it in.
That can be applied only if amp has serial loop (like Fender HRD has). I have an amp with parallel loop and there's no way I can get any volume boost using pedals in FX loop. When I'm using drive pedals on clean channel, I use EQ pedal at the end of the chain with either EQ set flat+level boosted or EQ set mids up+level on 0. On a dirty channel I use vintage Ibanez metal screamer (just one version of TS) with level all the way up, gain on 10 o'clock and I set tone to best match my amp settings. The point is to play rhythm parts with volume pot rolled down a bit so when I roll it off to the max+hit the MSC pedal, I get pretty good mid boost/gain boost and that is in many cases enough to cut through the band...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibboom77 View Post
That can be applied only if amp has serial loop (like Fender HRD has). I have an amp with parallel loop and there's no way I can get any volume boost using pedals in FX loop. When I'm using drive pedals on clean channel, I use EQ pedal at the end of the chain with either EQ set flat+level boosted or EQ set mids up+level on 0. On a dirty channel I use vintage Ibanez metal screamer (just one version of TS) with level all the way up, gain on 10 o'clock and I set tone to best match my amp settings. The point is to play rhythm parts with volume pot rolled down a bit so when I roll it off to the max+hit the MSC pedal, I get pretty good mid boost/gain boost and that is in many cases enough to cut through the band...
DOes your loop have a mix control? It needs to be set 100% wet. My recto has a parallel loop and I usually set it around 80% wet. I don't have any issues.

I can't see how a parallel loop won't give you the boost you need, even if it doesn't have a mix control. The signal is obviously split two ways; one side is dry (direct) and the other side is wet. Boosting the wet side, you'll get an increase in gain which will mix back into the dry side for output to the power amp. An increased signal = more volume.

Am I missing something?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaklynx View Post
DOes your loop have a mix control? It needs to be set 100% wet. My recto has a parallel loop and I usually set it around 80% wet. I don't have any issues.

I can't see how a parallel loop won't give you the boost you need, even if it doesn't have a mix control. The signal is obviously split two ways; one side is dry (direct) and the other side is wet. Boosting the wet side, you'll get an increase in gain which will mix back into the dry side for output to the power amp. An increased signal = more volume.

Am I missing something?
Yes, there is mix control. And I tried to set it on 100%, and there's still no volume boost. The point is in operating amps in return input, they decrease signal if it's too powerful. Some amps loops turn from parallel to serial when mix pot is turned to 100%, but this one doesn't. I think this is set this way to protect poweramp from getting to high input signal.

Tags
boost , pedal , strauss , tube , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode