Tube amp or modelling amp for my bedroom? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Tube amp or modelling amp for my bedroom?

what should i go for. Do tubes still sound better than modelling at bedroom volumes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:20 AM

Re: Tube amp or modelling amp for my bedroom?

I play my Mark IV, which is an insanely loud tube amp, at bedroom volumes, and I love it 10 times as much as any modeler. Granted it sounds better at louder volumes, but it still sound really good at low volumes
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:24 AM

I made the mistake of buying a Line 6. It sounds okay, but tube amps have a nicer, truer sound. Modelling amps are great if you're just starting out as a guitarist, but once you get better you might want to try something that sounds better.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperfetish
what should i go for. Do tubes still sound better than modelling at bedroom volumes?
No, the only way to get good bedroom volumes from a tube amp is to use a treadplate from THD. I'd recommend you get a solid state amp and run your guitar through a PODXT or PODXT Live, something simple nothing expensive I would guess. The Tech 21 Trademark 30 sounds very good considering it's solid state and is UNDERPRICED for the value; combine that amp with PODXT Live and you've got everything you'll ever need. There are sound clips of the PODXT/Live, and the Trademark 30 amp below. Hope this helps!

PODXT/Live Clips:
http://line6.com/podxtlive/sounds.html

Trademark 30 Clip:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/tm30...ademark_30.mp3
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 AM

I recently got myself a POD 2 to mess around on at home at sensible volumes. I plug it into a Marshall MG15. It sounds really good and the range of sounds you can it is huge
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

I can afford a tube amp, so im not looking for the cheapest option, im looking for the best sound option. I dont really need the features of a modelling amp so i only want opinions based on sound quality at low volume. thanks
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 10:56 AM

I'd recommend Laney amps. If you want to go for an amp that can cover a lot of styles in one, then get the Laney TT series. If you're looking for a high gain metal/shred sound, get the GH series.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:08 PM

I use a POD XT Live and 2 Tech 21 Power Engine 60's, and i think it sounds great.

If you think tubes sound better though, and you can afford it, i'd look into the Carr Mercury or the Boogie Lone Star Special. They both have variable power sections that can be dialed down to really low output (2 watts, even lower for the Mercury), and i'm sure they sound amazing.
Me, i prefer the range of sounds from the POD, and the no-hassles of not having tubes.
peace
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:33 PM

I would say look for some nice low watt or low watt capable valve amps like the Cornford Harlequin or something. Or use a hot plate or something with it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:47 PM

I agree with the option of going with a low watt tube amp. THD sells heads that are 15, 30, and 50 watts. There are also a million low watt tube combos out there so i would do some reading. If you are planning to gig with this amp then i would reccomend getting a high watt tube amp and then getting a hot plate to play in your bed room. Hope this helps.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:18 AM

I've seen used Peavey Classic 20 1x10s on sale for $200 recently. It's a sweet little combo for the price. I think it has 2 EL84s with 3 12ax7s in the preamp. Spend the rest of your budget on a nice 50-100 watt gig amp and you're set.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 AM

Go for a tube amp. Although it will sound best cranked up it will still sound way better than most solid state amps even on low volume.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 09:21 AM

IMO you should seriously consider a modeler. Most people who do A/B comparisons do so at a fair volume, and the same preferences may not hold true. The modeler will sound pretty much the same turned down, but the amp will differ significantly.

Bottom line is, you should go have a listen for yourself. "Sound quality" means different things to different people. I've heard good (and crappy) sounds from tubes, solid state, and digital modelers, so IMO comparing overall technologies as if ALL examples of each of those will be the same is foolish.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:47 PM

It also depends on what you mean by "bedroom volume". I tried out a couple of tube amps recently - the Crate V8 Palomino (5W/10") and the Peavey Classic 30 (30W/12") and both were pretty damn loud with the volume on 1. If you want good tone without everyone else in the house/building having to listen to it, I don't think tubes are a good option.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 AM
rgr

What exactly are you looking for an amp to do? If it is just to practice in your bedroom, just pick up a small Peavey Transtube combo for cheap. It will sound fine at the volume levels you are talking about. If you want to do recording into your computer without disturbing anyone in the house, then a modeler is your best bet. If you want a kick a$$ amp that you can play in your bedroom and out with a band, get a tube amp and a cheap combo (see point 1). Everything has a purpose, you'll never get the sound of a cranked stack at bedroom volumes, you can get some good tones, but not the same, too many other physical factors. If you have an unlimited budget and want the best, check on the many small (<10W) tube combos, but they will still be loud by bedroom standards. A 5W amp cranked in a small room is loud.

Another idea comes to mind, try to find one of the old Hughes and Kettner Cream Machines or Metal Shredder preamps. They are tube, and have a 1W or so power amp built in to do just what you are looking for. Hook it up to a small 1-10 or 1-12 cabinet and your set. Still not quite a cranked tube amp sound, but not bad.

$0.02,
Roger

Tags
clean tone , peavey classic , power amp , practice amp , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combos , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode