Tube amp radio interference problem - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Tube amp radio interference problem

Okay, I just got my first tube amp and I luuuuvvvvv it! But, tonight as I was trying to record, ...all of a sudden a radio operator came blaring through my amp. I believe its a ham radio guy about 2 streets over. We've had trouble with it for quite a while now. The only significant trouble it's caused me is that sometimes he comes through my studio monitors and I have to just turn them off, ...or plugging in the headphones gets rid of it.

But, ...what can I do about it coming through my amp? AHHH! Is there some kind of filter that will eliminate this issue somehow? I've seen power conditioners but I have no idea what they are for. Please help! lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 PM

Re: Tube amp radio interference problem

Yes, I've had this happen to me before, and I do believe there is some type of filter you can get to eliminate this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking at Power Conditioner info and this Alesis unit says:

VOLTAGE METER & POWER CONDITIONER
The PowerTrip8 protects your delicate electronic equipment with a highvoltage surge and transient suppressor and an RFI/EMI interference filter. The fast-acting suppression circuit responds in less than a nanosecond, clamping
transient voltages to safe levels. The filter works to prevent noise from fluorescent lights, certain dimmers, radio transmitters, and similar sources of “electronic pollution” from entering the AC line, and, from there, leaking into sensitive audio, video, or computer circuits.

I'm wondering if this is the cure.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 AM

I lived in an apartment, where I had my neighbors cordless phone calls coming through my amp. crazy!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
I lived in an apartment, where I had my neighbors cordless phone calls coming through my amp. crazy!
lol. That's essentially what I've got, but very very loud! It scared the pee outta me when he just blared through the amp outta nowhere!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
lol. That's essentially what I've got, but very very loud! It scared the pee outta me when he just blared through the amp outta nowhere!
Makes ya' think it might be possessed!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Tube amp radio interference problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
Makes ya' think it might be possessed!
Well, that's what scared the pee outta me!!! LOL. It sounded like a demon voice from hades, ...some people call it hell, ...I call it hades.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 PM

I've had numerous problems like that but in my case they happened more at shows. Most of the time in my case its a ground issue. Some locations get more interference than others. I played this one gig at this club and I got this nasty hum and I tried everything to stop it but turns out everyone that played that night had those issues.

At home power conditioners can work also look into getting one of those ground plugs cause at gigs they come in handy when you have a ground issue.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTac in my eye View Post
I've had numerous problems like that but in my case they happened more at shows. Most of the time in my case its a ground issue. Some locations get more interference than others. I played this one gig at this club and I got this nasty hum and I tried everything to stop it but turns out everyone that played that night had those issues.

At home power conditioners can work also look into getting one of those ground plugs cause at gigs they come in handy when you have a ground issue.
Cool,...what's a "ground plug" like you're talking about?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0511 View Post
Cool,...what's a "ground plug" like you're talking about?

Something maybe like one of these
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Those plugs actually work. I used to have horrible grounding in one of the outlets in my basement. Humming wasn't much of an issue, but anything metal I was getting shocked from. I used that plug if I had to use that outlet and didn't have any problems.

What about your cables, are they shielded?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Cool. I'm using Monster Cable, so they should be far more than adequate. I talked to someone at Sam Ash and they advised me to contact the FCC and ARRL because there is no way the radio operator is within regulations based on the problem I described. This is not a little mexican radio coming across the amp like low level static, ...it is a radio operator blaring through the amp very loud. I was told they make RF filters that he can put on his equipment and will have to if he is operating within regulations because he is not allowed to cause disruption like that. I know that I've been told I can buy RF filters and put them in my power line as well, but I don't know where to get them. Supposedly radio operator equipment stores, but there are none around here I'm aware of. This sucks. Gotta get it taken care of somehow. Other than his interference, the amp sounds pretty clean to me with the exception of preamp up to 11 and 12, but I think all amps get some hiss at full throttle don't they?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Just an update, ...I believe I have solved this problem. A few days ago I bought two different filters from Radio Shack, ...both inexpensive. I've tried the amp several times this week at the time the ham radio guy seems to be on the most and no interference at all. Then, this morning I heard the guy on my television a little bit, so I ran in the studio room and turned the amp on and played a bit, ...nothing, ...just clean sound. SWEET!!! So, ...as far as I can tell at the present time, ...the problem is solved.

If anyone else has trouble with radio interference on your amp, ...give these items a try as it just might solve your problem and you might avoid pulling all of your hair out. I used BOTH of these items to be sure I was doing all I could do:

Snap-together Ferrite Choke Core (Snaps on power cable) - $5.29
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Single Outlet Surge Protector and Noise Filter - $7.99
this item does not show up on their website oddly enough, ...but they had it at the store. the back of the package specifically mentioned filtering ham radio and other radio signal interference.

Tags
monster cable , sam ash , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode