Tube combos - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Eco

Tube combos

I'm just about to get hold of my new RG1527 (within the next few days i hope) and my next item down on the list is a good combo.

The reason being is at the moment, im playing through a Marshall AVT 150 head with a 4 x 12 cab, but i play mainly in my bedroom and some smallish gigs. Its a nice enough amp, a bit of buzzing on the 2nd od channel which pisses me off a bit but its nothing drastic, sounds great at high volumes.

Logistically its a pain in the backside, my car isnt huge so its hard to get it around places, especially if im just heading round a mates for a few beers and a jam.

I've looked around a bit but when it comes to amps im not really that clued in.

I've seen a few mesa ones which seem to be really nice, but i was wondering about some options to try before i shoot straight for it.

2 x 12 would be best i think. Any help would be cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Eco

Re: Tube combos

Oh yea forgot to mention, the band im in plays a few Dream Theater covers and our originals are a similar style, so i'd think Mesa boogie would be the obvious choice in that case, but i'd like to go into it with some extra options.

Im just looking to narrow down the search before i walk into the shop and ask to try every amp they have
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 1

mesa nomad maybe?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:01 PM

Reviews: 1

I'd suggest the Mark IV if you have the cash. The IV will give you a wide tonal palette to choose from. Very Versatile and a 1x12 cab that you can either add the 1x12 extension cab or remount the chassis into a head format and power a 2x12 or 4x12 with no problem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:10 PM

also take a look at hughes and kettner. high prices but worth every cent. i love mine
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 PM

What about a Fender super sonic? Great cleans and great distortion.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Eco

I've found a Line 6 spider 2x12 tube combo which is actually at the same store as the guitar im buying.

Anyone had any impressions with this one? seems handy since i can try the guitar through it when i go to pick it up. I havent used many line 6 amps, my friend had a spider 2 which seemed to enjoy randomly switching the delay on and off tho

For the price it seems worth a look.

The other option im looking at is to try pick up a Mesa 2x12 cab which is small enough to fit in the car so it also fits the bill i guess.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:47 AM

Mesa Roadster combo or head and 2x12 cab if it isn't out of your budget. I'd get a 2x12 Roadster combo in a second if I had the budget.

The F-50 and Express 5:50 are great for the money but there are so many nice Mesa models that you really need to play thru and take your time with each amp.

Let us know how you fare.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
I'd suggest the Mark IV if you have the cash. The IV will give you a wide tonal palette to choose from. Very Versatile and a 1x12 cab that you can either add the 1x12 extension cab or remount the chassis into a head format and power a 2x12 or 4x12 with no problem.
I'll 2nd that. I've had my Mk IV for about 12 years and it's the best amp I have ever owned. I've had every amp under the sun and this beats them all.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 04:59 PM

I was cheking hughes&kettner out. The switchbalde is amazing and its 1200 and 1400 for 50 and 100 watt combo respectively.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:49 PM

ENGL all the way

Seriously.

Tags
extension cab , fender super sonic , marshall avt , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode