Tube hardness - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Tube hardness

I noticed when you try and order a tube on musicians friend you have to choose the hardness level. I am just curious to know that this is and how you match it to your amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 11:27 AM

Re: Tube hardness

That's for Groove Tubes, which are overpriced. They have hardness ratings which is basically how hot the tube will run, on their own scale of 1 to 10.

Don't buy Groove Tubes. They are other tubes rebranded, and a waste of money. If you are looking to buy tubes, buy them from www.thetubestore.com or www.tubedepot.com instead. They test their tubes and send you a matching pair, and don't add an extra lot on the price tag. They also don't rebrand them, so you know exactly what tube you are getting. I have ordered tubes from both sites and both buying experiences were good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info..........i'll check out those sites.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 PM

Reviews: 1

Tubes store is good, I also recommend www.partsexpress.com if you know what you're looking for brand-wise.

Mesa tubes are the same as Groove in that they are usually another brand, most commonly Sovtek, which I like anyway.
Last tubes I got were J.J. Teslas from thetubestore, they are still plugging along just fine in my Mesa Triaxis and 20/20 power amp.

Bamm
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:03 AM

^^ Ruby tubes are as well. I know there are others too. You can usually tell if you know who does make tubes - SED, Svetlana, Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, JJ/Tesla Mullard, (and some greats of the past: RCA, Sylvania, GEC (Gold Lions), GE, Phillips and the REAL Mullards). There are others, like some chinese companies that make really ****ty cheaply made tubes (some are even made of plastic.... some like their 12AX7s especially those made in the early 90s for their hi gain!).

I recommend SED Winged "C" for the poweramp for whatever types you can get them. Not Svetlanas... they are made by the same company but not the same quality. If you can't get SEDs of whatever type you need, then try JJs. For preamps JJs are smooth and Electro Harmonix are loud.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
Tubes store is good, I also recommend www.partsexpress.com if you know what you're looking for brand-wise.

Mesa tubes are the same as Groove in that they are usually another brand, most commonly Sovtek, which I like anyway.
Last tubes I got were J.J. Teslas from thetubestore, they are still plugging along just fine in my Mesa Triaxis and 20/20 power amp.

Bamm
JJ EL34s starting at $17????!?!? **** that almost makes me want to go with JJs over SEDs just to save $40.... almost!

Tags
electro harmonix , groove tubes , mesa triaxis , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode