tube head truth - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

tube head truth

Lets say I wanted to record....and when you do that you would probably use headphones to really hear everything......instead of getting a practice amp again that will sound not even close to what I want(and a decent one will still cost me a few hundred).....why wouldnt i wanna get a head and run it into my PC just like i was at a studio recording? Can this be done? That way I can get my tube sound I want and if I need to play out all I need is a cab to use. I'v been wondering about this for a while now.....please comment if you have any words of wisdom...thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:08 PM

That would be no problem at all. The only thing that you will need is a good cabinet simulator to make it sound right. If you just go direct, it will sound horrible. Look into Digital Music Corp Cab Tone or a H&K Red Box Pro. They are both great cabinet simulators.
If you really want to get a good direct sound, add in a good mic preamp, and your good to go.
Just make sure you use the direct out or send from your loop. NOT the output of the amp...LOL
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:04 PM

erm...

doesnt running the head without a load (ie. speakers) cause damage?

I think I have blown a head this way before
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 06:13 PM

Yes, unless you have an amp loader like this Allan Holdsworth juice extractor I have right here. I was thinking of selling it but I've been re-working my rack and now I'm not sure anymore. Some power soakers just lower the volume of a tube amp to a speaker, while others can BE the speaker. This is one of them. Holdsworth did this with his Boogies all the time, and it is a common practice. You can put the line level signal through an effects processor, or whatever. But if you wanted to take a tube head to a computer, and you didn't have a big budget, then a modeler might be the way to go. I don't like them or have them, but there's no denying that's what they were made to do.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 07:45 PM

Exactly, no amplifier should not be operating if not connected to speakers or some other dummy load.

As for headphone's, I'm not familiar with anytube amplifier with a headphone output. There are some with line outs or you can use the send jack of an effects loop but you'll want to use a cabinet simulator with those as well (if the amp's line out isn't already equipped with this kind of circuitry). Without cabinet simulation, you're probably going to hate your direct sounds.

Mike 777 Haug

Tags
allan holdsworth , practice amp , tube amp , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode