Tube pre & compressor for home recording? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Tube pre & compressor for home recording?

I recently acquired a Boss BR-8 and have been plugging the guitar direct using the tones in the unit or my POD...and having lots of fun.

My buddy that does studio work in LA suggested I get a tube preamp and compressor, and of course recommended some fairly high priced stuff, which I really can't justify.

A couple questions...

- Anybody here use a tube pre and/or compressor for home recording?...worth the expense?

- What models can you recommend? (I've considered the ART MP, Presonus TUBEpre, Alesis 3630, old DBX comp, etc...you get the idea, used and cheap)

TIA!
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:27 PM

Reviews: 1
The tube MP has been used by a LOT of pro guys to warm up a signal from older gear as well as a general mic pre. they sound pretty good and I was planning on grabbing the dual Mp for my home system as well.

Bamm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:05 PM

I wouldnt reccomend the low end starved plate tube stuff...it doesnt sound that good. Far better to get a nice SS unit in the same price range. RNP, Grace 101, hell even a used mackie mixer sounds better than the low end tube stuff (IMO). The 3630 is an ok unit, not great but not too bad. RNC would be my first choice.

Truth be told, you prolly wont notice much of a differance at all on a direct signal, so I would just get a cheap mic and play around a bit.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynn
hell even a used mackie mixer sounds better than the low end tube stuff (IMO). The 3630 is an ok unit, not great but not too bad. RNC would be my first choice.
I actually have a Mac 1202 already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynn
Truth be told, you prolly wont notice much of a differance at all on a direct signal, so I would just get a cheap mic and play around a bit.
I have an SM57 and a couple other Shures, so I'm on the road there.
Greg
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Contributor

Regarding the compressor:

This device will beef-up your signal-to-noise ratio and bring weaker signals to the forefront of your mix without clipping/pegging the channel.
I'm running DBX stereo compressors in my rack currently and I like then.

I'm currently running a compressor in-line when recording the raw signal- especially on acoustic instruments, then again in the final mixdown I'm running another stereo compressor to the master mix for an "overall" ambient effect which I really love. This will give you that "pro studio" finished effect - even on the small equipment.

If you choose to add compressors into your rig, please make sure not to over-use them. It's easy to do and you will get into real trouble at the final mix if you're too liberal in the begining stages of your project.
Best of luck - and I hope you check 'em out: your mix will thank you!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, jemaholic. I just snagged a used Presonus Blue Max stereo comp...it's on its way. Very reasonable (retail $149, got mine for $64 shipped) and gets good reviews at HC. Still shopping for a tube pre.
Greg
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 06:56 AM
Contributor

Excellent - Blue Max is good stuff. Looks like you're on your way!
My biggest problem is : I never have enough outboard equipment in the racks. It's a never ending search for new stuff. You'll see!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, just when I thought I was finished with rack rigs...here we go in another direction!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:53 PM

Hey Greg, if you decide to dump some of your texas prestiges to fund your new recording rack...I get first dibs!!!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 12:28 AM

If anyone is interested, I have a brand new, in the box Art Dual MP.
Make me an offer.
I have 2 Avalons, and 2 Presonus Digimax pre's, so I have no need for it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 03:08 AM

I've heard lots of good things about the Presonus stuff. Probably the best bang for the buck in the home studio realm. Theres a lot of stuff in the home recording market thats garbage. Usually the stuff with all the bells and whistles is too good to be true so beware.

Tags
texas prestige , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode