A Tube Question About My '67 Fender Vibro Champ - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

A Tube Question About My '67 Fender Vibro Champ

Here's a question for the amp doctors here in jemsite land.

I've got a nice old Vibro Champ that I love the sound of at the moment. It's got an RCA 6V6GT NOS Tube in the power slot.

Could the socket be modified and the amp re-biased to accept an EL84?

I'd like to hear how this American machine reacts with a British tube behind her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:23 AM

You're kidding, right?

If not, all I have to say is:

NOOOOOOO JOOOHNNNYYYYYY!NOOOOOOO!!!!

Please, don't even think about it.

It's 1967 Fender amp, right? It might be modded but: It most likely wouldn't sound as good as it does now. Plus, you'd annihilate its value. And you might screw up a nice amp. The amp's designed to work with that 6V6 tube, so why bother?

Get a Vox AC15 reissue for those EL84 needs.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't really clear when I said "modify".

Is there a tube socket adapter available to allow an EL84 to run in the 6V6 socket?

It's not really a collectible amp in it's present condition. I paid $100 for it in 1995. It needed a new switch. Since Fender no longer makes the originals, I had to sub a generic slide switch from Radio Shack, which required changing the panel mount screws. The original speaker had a large hole in the cone from the previous owner poking the electric plug in the back of the amp. It was replaced by a new 8" Celestion. It is the same speaker they use in the Marshall Lead 12 practice amps.

I'm not worried about it's value. I'm just looking to change the sound, but leaving leaving an option to change it back if I want.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 06:01 PM

I don't think there's an adapter for that. The exeption is the THD Univalve, which has an adapter for it, but the amp is designed to do that kinda tricks.

I guess you'd have to replace the tube socket, at least.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 08:07 PM

Just for the sake of the test, here's now you can make an adapter yorself.

Here's what you'll need:
An octal tube base (break the glass on an old tube and you'll have one)
A 9pin socket
Some high-voltage (preferably teflon-coated) wire
Soldering iron
A bit of patience and skill

Compare the pinouts of your tubes:
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=EL84
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6V6

Wire the sockets so that pins correspond.

Fire it up, see if there's any smoke coming out of your power transformer. If there is none, and you hear something when you play, then congrats.

Disclaimer: The voltages found in tube circuits are LETHAL. Make sure you know what you're doing and hever use your LEFT hand when working on a live circuit. Keep it behind your back.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mr.Orange for mentioning the THD Univalve! I went to the THD Electronics site and found these!

They are the THD Yellow Jackets. I knew I'd seen these adapters before, I just couldn't remember where. They can replace 6V6, 6L6, EL34 and YJ7591 power tubes with an EL84.

The adapter consists of a base and current limiter device, to plug into your existing tube socket. It includes a Tesla EL84 tube. They retail for about $40 - $60 USD for each adapter, depending on where you shop.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 AM

The thing is, they aren't really for 6V6's. They'll drop voltage and affect the tone of EL84 tubes if you use them instead of 6V6 because they're NOT merely adapters. 6L6 and EL34's are fine though. If you have some money to burn, try them, but you should know that EL84s will run at a lower voltage.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:20 AM

Hold the press:

http://62.225.42.186/shops/tad/catal...2ba8ab3f2e307e

Those buggers claim to work with 6V6s as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 01:11 PM

I'm not saying they won't. I'm just saying that EL84 will sound different if plugged in straight.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 04:53 PM

And I believe you.

Tags
practice amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode