TUBE Vs. Solid State Amps!? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

TUBE Vs. Solid State Amps!?

Hey guys... Okay heres my dilema, Im hearing mixed things about both amps...one does this...one does that. bla bla bla... I WANT TO KNOW what is the difference in sound... All i really want is to be able to turn the amp up and have it sound the same as if it were at low volumes. For example the amp i use now *cough* (a fender) when its low volume it sounds great...but when i crank it up it sounds like CRAP...starts buzzing ratteling, and it just doesnt sound the same.

Now.... What do i need to solve this problem.

Thanks Guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 06:49 AM

A. Just go play the amps. Nothing we tell you is going to give you a definitive answer .

B. Why do you need to start multiple threads about the same subject?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:25 AM

DrPuls,
most any SS amp I've ever played would fart out at high volumes. They just start clipping in a really nasty way. Conversely, the beauty of (and fault of, if you have cranky neighbors ) a tube design is that it generally gets *better* as you crank the power tubes.

I don't know of much you can do to make a SS amp sound any better at higher volumes than it's design will allow....replace it and maybe use the Fender for a low volume practice amp.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff l
DrPuls,
most any SS amp I've ever played would fart out at high volumes.
This is why the Randall Warhead has silly amounts of headroom (300w?). To get a killer sound at silly volumes, tranny amps need lots of power.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:30 AM

RATTLING is not the amplifier itself; it's cabinet, speakers, etc. - something mechanical. "buzzing" could also be, depending on the meaning of "buzzing". Thus, it may not be a tube vs. SS issue at all.

I can't imagine why anyone would need more than 50 watts in a solid state amp. My Carvin SX50 is so friggin' loud on *3* in an enclosed space that I'd need earplugs, and there goes the sound right there. If you need more than that, you need a PA.

Now, if you want that "tubes a'cookin' " sound, and you don't think solid state or digital emulation is close enough - more power to ya - go for it. But take care of your ears...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:42 AM

Tube wins everytime. Crisp distortion and crunch, smooth overdrive, clean as a whistle at low gain high volume, great blues sounds....
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:40 PM

Valves all the way.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 01:42 PM

MOST players will prefer tube (aka: valve) amps but tone is 90% the player anyway. I prefer tube amps also but I will never say that I despise solid state stuff either for the following reasons: So, it really just comes down to what meets your needs. There are great hybrids out there and also, there are some sounds that one kind of amp can do that the other can't.

Shop around. YOU are the one who'll be reliying on it so YOUR opinion is ultimately the only one that matters. So, if all of us recommended the exact same amp and you have repeatedly tried it and didn't like it-don't get it. We trust you and will respect your right to individuality. Good luck!

Mike 777 Haug
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 06:26 PM

Hard to beat good tube circuitry. but you really can't appreciate it unless you're right there in front of it. Go play a nice tube amp and you'll understand.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 03:51 PM

Tubes are for kids and people that can't play through a real amp. I'll name you 30 great guitarists that play tube for every clown that uses tubes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybigtime
Tubes are for kids and people that can't play through a real amp. I'll name you 30 great guitarists that play tube for every clown that uses tubes
WTF?!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 04:34 PM

I personally hate the tube purist. They dismiss ALL solid state amps. The thing about tubes is once they warm up they begin compressing the signal naturally. thats the tonal difference most people hear. I just use my korg to slap a little compression on a solid state amp and I get the same frequency response. I actually personally prefer tubes but there is nothing wrong with using a good solid state amp. Randall and Marshall make some KILLER solid state amps that are to die for. Its just that typically solid state have been low end amps since it is cheaper to make a circuit board than a row of tubes
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 05:13 PM

I recently saw a Rob Balducci guitar clinic and he was using an Ibanez solid state amp, with a bunch of tonelok pedals in front. And man, he sounded goooooooood

I have an Ibanez TB 25 and I'm surprised with some of the nice tones I get from it, especially when I put my DOD YJM oedal in front. IT ROCKS!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Its just that typically solid state have been low end amps since it is cheaper to make a circuit board than a row of tubes
Now i now why tubes are hella spensive compaired to soid state amps.
Thanks!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
I can't imagine why anyone would need more than 50 watts in a solid state amp. My Carvin SX50 is so friggin' loud on *3* in an enclosed space that I'd need earplugs, and there goes the sound right there. If you need more than that, you need a PA.
Sometimes you aren't always afforded an enclosed space or a PA.

Once you start playing outdoor gigs you'll want that headroom. Once you get on large stages where your amp is a solid 25 feet behind you you'll appreciate the overhead. Once you end up in some comlplete and total barn with soggy walls and no PA micing for the amp you'll appreciate it.

Tags
combo amp , fender bassman , power amp , power amps , practice amp , rob balducci , solid state amp , solid state amps , tube amp , tube amps , tube saturation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode