I recently bought a used Fireball 100 and want to swap the tubes, but I have a few questions:
- I read that 5881 power tubes produce a bit less trebly, less distorted tone (as opposed to the standard 6L6s), which would be preferable for me - is that correct, or how do these tubes compare?
- Has someone dealt with this site: Analog Tubes Engl Fireball 100
- is it reliable, could I savely order there? Which set of tubes would you recommend (Mesa, Sovtek,...)?
- On all tube sets from the above link: why are there three "preamp tubes" and one "balanced inverter tube", all being 12AX7s?
- When I buy tubes elsewere in sets of two, is there something I have to take care about, or will any two pairs of, say 5881 tubes form the same brand match?
Thanks for your patience, as I'm a complete novice concerning tube amps