tubes for a legacy head - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

tubes for a legacy head

I've had my legacy head for some time now and I'm starting to notice that I'm gonna need some new tubes, so with that in mind...

who has some experience with different pre amp tubes in a high gain situation?

I've already got the power tubes (sovtek el34s)

I'm wondering which brand and type of pre amp tube will give me a tighter low end and maybe even a slightly de-emphasized midrange?
I believe the stock legacy tubes are sovtek 12AX7A's.

any input would be greatly appreciated

oh and take into account thatn I'm on a strict budget seeing as I just bought a new 7 string and new pups for it... and I'm a student... and I'm almost broke...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 03:17 PM

Re: tubes for a legacy head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemLegacy
I'm wondering which brand and type of pre amp tube will give me a tighter low end and maybe even a slightly de-emphasized midrange?
Yeah. Return the EL-34's and go for a set of 6L6's. The Legacy is biased to take both, and they'll give you deeper, clearer bass, more of a refined midrange when pushed, and more distinct highs.

And they're pretty mid-y, but great bass and they distort beautifully- JJ's for the preamp. Those coupled with 6L6's ought to give you one hell of a good tone.

-D
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 05:14 PM

Reviews: 3
I agree..... head over to www.eurotubes.com and ask bob for his sugguestions. I own a legacy too and everything Ive ever heard about replacing the tubes in them is "buy JJ's from Bob at eurotubes."
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 05:23 PM
EKG

That's what I did.....I took his advice and have been playing them since. Same setup....Legacy with JJ's.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 3
I personally have never used JJ's. After my tubes ran out the first time I just sent my amp in on warenty and they replaced them. The tubes haven't had very many hours on them since and I'm selling my Legacy so it seems I never will. Never the less. If you still aren't convinced go to the BBS at www.carvin.com and read the posts about changing tubes in the Legacy.

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode