Tubes/valves with best harmonic overtones? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Tubes/valves with best harmonic overtones?

Just wanting to know, my uncle's old Fender something-or-other's tubes are close to dieing, so i want to change them for him (and to play on it for hours on end, obviously ) next time i go off to iran to visit.

He likes the harmonic overtones during wide vibrato's, bends on 15th fret B string (don't ask) e.t.c, and wants them to sound louder, clearer... ya know.

He usually plays Stevie Ray Vaughn and 80's shred kinda stuff.

Wondering what type of tubes would suit him? Low gain, hi-gain?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Re: Tubes/valves with best harmonic overtones?

e-mail bob over at eurotubes.com with the amp model
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Damn, why didn't i think of that? I was on that site like 3 hours ago too!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM

he knows more about tubes and amps than god.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 PM

whoops double post,stupid iPod....
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 PM

Yeah, but he'll also only recommend a particular set of JJ tubes, and there's a ton of different manufacturers out there.

To be fair, I LIKE JJ's, of course.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Haha, so JJ's are the only good tubes to get, yes?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:05 AM

Tube brands don't really matter. Even physical construction of a tube matters little, and even then you don't know what the difference will be, if any. Most of the difference between tubes is that some are less reliable than others and some are more prone to microphonics than others. That, and slight differences in gain. Of course people who sell tubes (and people who believe to what those folks say) will tell you otherwise, but by and large simply changing a tube won't cause a dramatic difference. If your Fender is really old, you could probably get more bang for your buck by replacing power supply caps, as they tend to deteriorate over time.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Yeah, but he'll also only recommend a particular set of JJ tubes, and there's a ton of different manufacturers out there.

To be fair, I LIKE JJ's, of course.
No, he will also recommend what tubes should go in what spot, what type of preamp tubes to use (i.e. 12ax7's, 12au7's etc) and what tubes would produce the tones your looking for.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
No, he will also recommend what tubes should go in what spot, what type of preamp tubes to use (i.e. 12ax7's, 12au7's etc) and what tubes would produce the tones your looking for.
What Drew is getting at is that eurotubes only sells JJ tubes. Have you had Bob recommend you get something other than a JJ tube before?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

But i always seem to see these threads of people saying how their amp sounds better than ever, more crunch, gain e.t.c, than with just a change of tubes.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooos View Post
But i always seem to see these threads of people saying how their amp sounds better than ever, more crunch, gain e.t.c, than with just a change of tubes.
It depends on the circuit of the amp. I can tell a difference in swapping preamp tubes, but it is subtle. Power tubes changes are subtle as well. There is a difference though. If you think a JJecc83 and say a 9th generation Chinese 12ax7 sound identical in V1 you need your hearing checked, IMO.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:35 PM

As far as ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes go...
I find JJs to be very poor in terms of harmonic overtones.
They have a warm sound but very boring and lacking in the higher regions.
EHX has a far more 'sparkly' sound with much brighter high end, giving better harmonics.
And Chinese tubes are even a step beyond EHX.

Basically it all depends on the amp and guitar you use, and the sound you're looking for.
I bought my amp from a guy who played rockabilly stuff with a Strat. He liked JJs, they 'tamed' the amp, and gave it that warm and soft sound he was looking for... the guitar itself already sounded plenty bright.
I wanted a rougher rock crunch and shred tones, with a Les Paul. The JJs were too 'boring' for me, so I first moved to EHX, and later to Chinese tubes, and they gave me exactly what I was looking for.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:37 PM

With that type of amp You would probably get the best results with an old American tube like an RCA or GE. Kee your eyes on **** and get them from a reputable seller.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
As far as ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes go...
I find JJs to be very poor in terms of harmonic overtones.
They have a warm sound but very boring and lacking in the higher regions.
EHX has a far more 'sparkly' sound with much brighter high end, giving better harmonics.
And Chinese tubes are even a step beyond EHX.

Basically it all depends on the amp and guitar you use, and the sound you're looking for.
I bought my amp from a guy who played rockabilly stuff with a Strat. He liked JJs, they 'tamed' the amp, and gave it that warm and soft sound he was looking for... the guitar itself already sounded plenty bright.
I wanted a rougher rock crunch and shred tones, with a Les Paul. The JJs were too 'boring' for me, so I first moved to EHX, and later to Chinese tubes, and they gave me exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot man, ill keep EHX in mind during my final decision!

Tags
clean tone , mesa studio preamp , preamp tube , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode