Tuning down to C... and string guage - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Tuning down to C... and string guage

Ok, so I know that if you want to knwo tune down and dont want you neck to warp you need to have a gauge of string that will properly give the correct amount of tension with that tuning, and spring tension. so what Im wondering is what guage do I need if I want to right tension for tuning down to C standard...? Get what im saying? Cant be too much tension or too little. thanks

Last edited by Devon8822; 11-06-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: Tuning down to C... and string guage

I have my RG550 tuned to standard C... before I started buying single string gauges, I used a string tension calculator Dee referred me to a while ago...
A standard tuned setup with 9s comes out to like <90 lbs of tension.
The logic I was going for was to get the "feel" of 10s for an open C tuning. Anyhow, the tension I got with my setup had @93/94lbs... can't remember the gauge setup atm but it was something like 54, 44, 34, 22w, 16, 11. The turn-out was wonderful... trem angle was correct with 3 springs and they don't feel flabby, just right. Of course, saddle adjustments, neck angle, and truss adjustments were necessary afterwards to make it play like a champ!
I don't have the link for the calculator thing with me but maybe Dee can help..

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 11-07-2007 at 04:04 AM. Reason: changed open to standard
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM

wow. that seems like alot of work. i don't like a lot of tension. i tune to drop C and use GHS 10 1/2. just had to adjust the truss rod a tiny bit and it was good to go.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM

Excuse my ignorance but whats the difference between open and drop c?. Also, if i need to tune down a guitar, do i need to change the strings for each note (thin ones and thick ones) ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:12 AM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
wow. that seems like alot of work. i don't like a lot of tension. i tune to drop C and use GHS 10 1/2.
it is when you're down-tuning the guitar from standard E... otherwise, I don't have to make any major adjustments after putting a couple hours of "work" into it and changing all 6 strings from this point should take around 10 - 15 minutes... unless I change brand/gauges again.

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance but whats the difference between open and drop c?. Also, if i need to tune down a guitar, do i need to change the strings for each note (thin ones and thick ones) ?
easiest way I can explain dropped C is an open D tuning with the low E tuned a step lower (from D to C) while standard C is a standard E dropped 2 steps.
changing strings by down-tuning in small steps is personal preference relative to the specific guitar...
/////
i'm such a n00b... an open C tuning is when the open notes are tuned to a C chord....

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 11-07-2007 at 03:51 AM. Reason: misunderstood vocabulary
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 AM

FWIW, I use 11's on all of my drop C guitars, and it works great for me.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

mmmm how about that calculator Dee?

so it seems to me that 11s are ideal for C standard, from what i hear? are 12s to much?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:43 PM

What about Ernie Ball's Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Nickel Wound .010 - .052??? I know it will feel looser, but how balanced would that be? I'm asking because in my country is difficult to find singles, your best bet is a set...and I'm not liking the .011 (Beefy Slinky Nickel Wound .011 - .054 with a .056 instead of the .054) set I have at the moment in my dropped C RG... I need looser high strings and bit less "stiffness" in the bridge...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 04:45 AM

i have 11s on my drop C guitar - the low C is a touch too slack but the trade off is that you can do those pinch harmonic vibratos like what killswitch engage do all the time REALLY easily and it sounds MINT.

Tension on the other strings feels close to standard tuning on 9s.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM

I'd reckon 11s or 12s would suit fine for tuning down to C.

Have tried 12s before in standard tuning on a Strat... ouch. Sounded absolutely beastly, gorgeous. Would do it again if my fingers could cope...

'87

Tags
ernie ball , high strings , neck angle , string gauges , string tension , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode