Ultex Jazz III review - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Dee

Re: Ultex Jazz III review

Someone on page one got two, if I read their post correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone View Post
If you e-mail dunlop they'll send you a couple usually, and free .
Ah, there it is.
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Well, the pick came the other day. But when I opened the envelope, I found no pick! After a moment of freaking out trying to see if it had fallen somewhere, I found a hole in the envelope. It seems the pick fell out of the bag during shipping. As upset as I was that I didn't get to try out the pick, I decided not to email Dunlop for another one. That would be pretty rude with them being so cool and all about shipping free picks to anyone, as picks do cost money. Maybe dunlop should consider using some heavier envelops.
post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Anne, drop an email to 'em, they'll send out a free sample. If I get more than one I'll send you one.
Thanks Dee that's a lovely offer. But you hold onto what ever you get.
I've emailed them and hopefully will get a sample too.
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Dee

Sorry, Anne, I only got one. I've been meaning to post my thoughts for a couple of days but somehow I didn't get around to it.

It's pretty good. I actually prefer the larger version of the Jazz III, I tried to get used to the small ones but it was just too fiddly. The Ultex Jazz III I received in the post is small, and I hope they make a large version, too. If they do, I'll try it, but for now I can't decide if I prefer the Ultex material to the regular nylon ones. Pick attack is brighter, and it does seem hard-wearing, but not quite as cool as I thought it'd be. Again, it's probably just the tiny size I'm not comfortable with and I'll wait to see if they come out with an XL.

Andy: My envelope also had a hole in it. Well, not so much a hole, but the Dunlop envelope doesn't seal all the way across. I thought there was no pick in there too, at first. I'm surprised it stayed in there.
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 PM

I never got the sample I emailed them about, but a fellow on another bulliten board was kind enough to send me one of the two he got.
I did notice that Dunlop's website now has a part number and MSRP's assigned, so that might be a better indication that they're shipping soon.

Isn't it amazing how anal retentive we can get over a piece of plastic that isn't our credit card?
post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 07:25 PM

I wonder why they don't put the picks in a little plastic bag.

No worries Dee. They have said they will send me out one or two.

Powerslave, one of their reps told me, release date in the US is the middle of next month. Unless they have moved it forward, due to all the interest in their picks.
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:38 PM

They're going to be sending me a sample pretty soon. They got back to me saying they'd send one if I sent them my address, so I did that about two days ago.
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 PM

I got excited and cut down a regular Ultex to match the profile of my jazz III's. It is perfect. I can't wait til I get my sample. It is exactly what i've been looking for. The light weight of the Ultex with the control of a Jazz III.
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 AM

Middle of next month again?

That seems to be Dunlop's standard answer...it's what they told me last month, too.
post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 AM

i've been using the one they sent me for about a week, its perfect for my needs when they come out im gonna buy a packet of the things
post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 PM

I emailed them yesterday and let my local store know that they were coming out.
post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 10:58 PM

I got my pick from Dunlop yesterday. Thsi is the first time I've used a Jazz III pick, so my initial impression was, "Damn, this is small!"

Well, that didn't last long. I soon realized that it's actually an extremely comfortable design. The picks I've used for a majority of my playing have been Dunlops, namely Nylon 1mm and the Gator 1.5. The latter of the list have been my favorite, but they're slghtly uncomfortable due to the odd size. They're smaller than most standard picks, and it just had an odd feel to it, but I loved the feel of the gator series.

So, when I saw the Ultex Jazz, I was thinking, "Man, this is going to feel odd to play due to the small size, even more so than the Gators." Well, that wasn't true. I think the one thing I trully love about the Ultex Jazz is the clarity/pick attack it brought me. I noticed that my playing was instantly altered to have more bite and definition. I think I found a new pick!
post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Dee

Yeah man, they are weird at first but not too hard to get used to. Still, I prefer the larger version. Same sharp tip but overall a bit more comfortable for me.
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 11:37 PM

It's been 9 days since my pick was sent. I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow and hasn't been lost. I'm really looking forward to comparing it with the regular Jazz III's, it will be interesting.

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate picking , jim dunlop , local music store , music store , paul gilbert , picking technique , sweep picking , ultex jazz , ultex jazz iii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode