Ultex Jazz III review - Page 9 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Ultex Jazz III review

My experience with the new jazz III......

These picks are pretty awesome. Very light weight, thick and of coarse have the same general shape of the legendary jazz III along with the ultex, (i wont wear out no matter what), technology.
However there are some important differences i found with these picks. The edges of the pick aren't as narrowly beveled in shape as my other jazz III's. Also the pick is slightly thicker than the black and red jazz III's i own. I always wanted the jazz three to be a bit thicker and this pick felt a bit more substantial between my fingers. I feel i must highlight the edge of the pick because this ultex jazz three just doesn't cut or have the same level off response as i can find with my black jazz III''s (which are my all time favs). For me i found that the ultex picks on a clean channel had a much softer response and the effect even more so on a dirty channel in comparison to my black jazz III's. (for me they have a totally different EQ that might be better accustomed for acoustic guitars or something with a flat compressed sound like funk or reggae) I don't know if this large difference in tone is mostly due to the thicker edges or simply just the material itself..... (or both?)

Summary:-

Pros = Thicker and feel more substantial, light weight, refuse to wear out, have the same size and general shape of the famous jazz III pick, aren't slippery like the red ones (my big con with the red ones)

Cons = Softer/flatter EQ in tone, they don't "glide" over the strings anywhere near as easily as the original jazz III's due to the rounder edges. Ive played the black jazz III's exclusively for what i play for quite some time now. I love the black jazz III's because of how percussive they are, their clarity and their wonderfully ergonomic design, but they wear out quite quickly for me. The red ones were very slippery for me, very nice for sweep picking but weren't as clear for alternate picking and the good ol chug. I hoped that the ultex picks might have all my fav attributes of the jazz three without the cons Ive experienced, alas it wasn't the ultimate pick for me.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate picking , jim dunlop , local music store , music store , paul gilbert , picking technique , sweep picking , ultex jazz , ultex jazz iii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode