Ultex Jazz III review - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Ultex Jazz III review

No more will a pick get in the way of your playing!

Dunlop has sent me a few of the new Ultex Jazz IIIs to review which should be hitting stores in the next few weeks.

Durability wise, this baby seems invincible. I tend to pick very deep and hard and with the black Jazz IIIs, within a day or two the sides would already be gashed in and worn not helping for smooth picking. I have been beating on this Ultex Jazz III for two days now and it still looks brand new with no signs of any wear or tear.

It's light weight feel makes it seem like there is no pick at all. You might think this as a bad thing at first until you hit the strings with it for the first time. Either lightly picking with feeling or digging in aggressively, you can feel every response right through your fingers. It feels like there is hot Teflon on the sides the way it buts through the strings like butter. It doesn't feel like you have a rock hard pick in your fingers and responds quickly and tightly.

With the combination of the Ultex material and fast attack, it picks up every bit of phrasing your fingers can produce with a sharp attack and feel. It doesn't have a dull feel or a dull sound. Harmonics also seem to jump off this pick with no effort.

If you are looking for the ultimate pick for feel, speed, and sound look no further. Dunlop does it again making our favorite pick ever better!

Last edited by IVsakeN; 04-24-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 PM

Re: Ultex Jazz III review

pls post a link to pics etc when they become available
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 PM

Reviews: 7

I love the 2 they sent me too, definately replacing the black jazz 3's I've been using once they come out.
post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the review. I've ordered some with my 20th and can't wait to try them out.
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 PM

That is GREAT news!!! When the Ultex picks came out, I loved the material but not the size and asked Dunlop if they had them in a Jazz I, II or III size, but they said they didn't. That was many months ago, and now it looks like my dream pick has arrived.

Where can I buy some?!?
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 PM

quik, i think the stores are still waiting for these to arrive.
Why don't you put in an order with your local music store?

IVsakeN, is it my imagination, or does the pick in the picture look slightly bigger than the standard Jazz III?
It looks like an XL too me.
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 AM

Looks interesting, but I'll stick with what I know and love I think.
Although saying that, I do like the sound of the added durability. After a week or two of constant playing my regulars usually do start to get a little worn, but not much.

The regular Jazz III's do me just fine though for now, both the red and the black ones. And I am not really interested in trying anything different at this moment in time. I love my regular Jazz III's to death.

But if I ever see a few of these new ones online, I may be tempted to grab a couple to try out.
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 12:43 PM

I'll definitely be trying these out once I can get my hands on some. I like the size/shape of the Jazz III, but I find the sound of the attack to be lacking. Hopefully the ultex will add some edge to the attack.
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 PM

I looked for these online, but I couldn't find any so I just bought some more red ones. Are they the same thickness and flexibility as normal Jazz III's?
post #11 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43 View Post
I looked for these online, but I couldn't find any
They aren't for commercial sale yet I believe.
post #12 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Oh man.....I've been chomping at the bit to get some of these! I placed an order the day they were put up on Dunlop's website

IbanezGirl, congrats on the 20th. What color did you get?
post #13 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM

i use the purple tortex jazz 3's.. they sound a lot better then the black or red ones and they feel better too.
post #14 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy43 View Post
I looked for these online, but I couldn't find any so I just bought some more red ones. Are they the same thickness and flexibility as normal Jazz III's?
If you e-mail dunlop they'll send you a couple usually, and free .
post #15 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 AM

Talking Re: Ultex Jazz III review

I got one of these in the mail today. Tactile-wise, it feels a bit more like the red jazz III instead of the black, but it's a better gripping surface. IVsakeN's review is right on the money. These things feel great, and are almost indestructible.

Dear God, I love this pick!

I'll buy a whole bag of these when they become available to retailers/stores.

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate picking , jim dunlop , local music store , music store , paul gilbert , picking technique , sweep picking , ultex jazz , ultex jazz iii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode