The Ultimate Question - How do I get a good POD tone? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

The Ultimate Question - How do I get a good POD tone?

So guys, i've had my pod xt for about 2 months now, with all 3 model packs. I've been messing in gearbox to try and get a great sound, but i have a few okay to good tones. I know a lot of people have had this problem, but eventually overcome it, since i see it as something of a learning curve. However if someone leads you past that point, you can make amazing tones so can anyone help explain how to get that amazing, rich tone for which i bought this processor? Or redirect me to where i can find this information? Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Re: The Ultimate Question - How do I get a good POD tone?

Short answer: you don't.

Long answer: get yourself a Digitech (RP500/RP1000/GSP1101), Digidesign (Eleven Rack) or Fractal Audio (Axe-FX) processor. Listed in order of price (lower to higher) for your convenience.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Wait for year 2750,when they'll release POD 485.
Oops probably it'll be another crap pod.
Just like Rocky,even Rocky 78 was crap lol
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 AM

Simple fix ....sell it & buy a Mesa or something with a great preamp. Tubes ARE good for you
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 AM

Reviews: 65

First: Ignore the posts above mine. Most people have no idea and just troll.

Second: Follow these instructions (I have a pod X3 so your mileage may vary):

First you go and make a guitar tone of the kind of "OK to good", but you prolly have those already.

Now you go to the parametric EQ. Go to the highest frequencies there and cut them down almost to Zero. The range of the Pod is much to high for guitars, all these frequencies do is generate hizz.
Now go to the lowest frequencies and play with them until you get enough foundation in your tone.
Go to your amp preset and re-adjust the amp EQ to suit your new parametric settings, in distorted sounds you might also need to up the gain a bit.
Now go to your reverb (if used) and readjust the settings down quite a bit, to get enough reverb anyways add a digital delay with a very short delay time (220ms or so, depending on your play) and add this slightly to the mix to up your roomy sound again.

Now the sound should be a lot better than what you started but not yet perfect.
For clean or slight crunch tones, now go to the parametric EQ again and adjust the frequencies in the middle range. Now this can take quite long to get where you want...
For distorted tones again up your gain or for really high gain add a boost distortion pedal in front of the amp (most of the time I use the tubescreamer) and really crank it up. Then go to the parametric EQ and adjust the middle frequencies slightly... again this might take some time.

Now this is what I do on the X3 basic setup, I have no idea how this might work on an XT as I do not have one.

Now what you can only do on the X3 and what my best sounds are, are multi amp sounds.
I do the setup above 2 times (Tone1/2 of the same preset) then I tune Tone 1 more to the lower frequencies, for tone 2 I sometimes even choose another amp and tune it more for high frequencies. Then I play both tones together and play around with the output to give it a great stereo setup. This plainly sounds amazing and while I have one dual rec in my basement, I cannot afford to play 2 setup like this on stage... The sound is stunning and some people ask me what stacks I have on stage...

Now will this sound better than a real 2 dual rec setup? No, but it is close enough for most people, mainly other guitarists that are really good (nobody posting crap here) might catch it. I have dual tested this from time to time with my real tube amps and even great musicians only could spot the X3 sounds from the original in about 20-40% of the tests.

Is the AxeFx better? Yes I have one and this is what I actually use on stage now with my main band. But I have to say, this is mainly to please the 20-40% spotters that I really like, most people would not get it if I play the X3 or the Axe.

People really like to trash Line6 (I was one of them) as they had really crappy amp modells and modelling in early products. But they listened to customers, they worked with talented musicians and they do really good now. Of course the image will stay for quite some time and several clueless people or those with "golden ears" might still trash you for playing Line6.

Have fun with your Pod.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 AM

I have a Pod XT Pro... I put a BBE Sonic Maximiser after it and played with the patches for hours...

Personally, I'm more than happy with it and am prepared to sell my JCM2000 DSL head and cabinet because of it.

It's the most versatile thing I've come across for the money. It's also brilliant for jamming with your favourite mp3's.

All Pod, straight into the line in on the PC, recorded with RiffWorks T4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmB_CN0WGGE
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:04 AM

How are you monitoring yourself?
Do you have a powered monitor?
Are you plugging into a PA?
Are you playing thru computer speakers?
Are you plugging it into the front of another amp?
Are you playing with headphones?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:38 AM

It's a lot easier than people think. I've moved on to my Mesa rig now and of course its worlds above the POD, but the POD could get some GREAT tone in it's own right. Just go to line 6's custom tone website, you can download tons of patches in a couple of seconds. 70% are crap, but 30% are fantastic. I downloaded an Andy Timmons tone off there that I really liked, a great shimmery Pink Floyd clean tone, etc etc.

Btw, if you want the BEST tone the POD XT is capable of producing, get yourself an Atomic Reactor amp. They're incredible. My main rig for 5 years before I went Mesa was an Atomic 112 50 watt with my trusty pod XT.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM

No trolling intended, that's just my opinion, and the advice I'd like to be given if I were in OP's place. But then again if you're the shredder type you might not need too much dynamic responsiveness from amp models especially if all you play are covers. In that case go with whatever sounds better to you, no point in spending extra $$$ for something that sounds the same or even worse to your ears than what you already have.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 AM

I love the versatility of Line 6 products...just with they were built better. In the past year, I have blown out two Toneport GX's while playing into my PC. Because of sleeping kids, this is my only playing option at this time. I still plan to buy another one...just hope it lasts longer than 8 months!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Reviews: 4

I do not know the ultimate question, but the ultimate answer is 42.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
Short answer: you don't.

get yourself a Digitech (RP500/RP1000/GSP1101)
yeah, digitech all the way. even the 255/355 have just as much or more than a pod, and well, sound like, a ton better, go try those. starting with the RP500
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
yeah, digitech all the way. even the 255/355 have just as much or more than a pod, and well, sound like, a ton better, go try those. starting with the RP500
Does Digitech have something like the Toneport GX (or Pod Studio GX as it is now called) that uses a PC and headphones to play?
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I'd bet that all of the POD-haters either don't own one, or never tweaked the settings enough to unleash the tonal possibilites. I used to own Digitech stuff all the way back to 1990, and always found them sounding too "processed." There was never any life to the tones, like is possible with the POD. Before you can your POD, try Tanks's advice--you will be glad you did...

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
First: Ignore the posts above mine. Most people have no idea and just troll.

Second: Follow these instructions (I have a pod X3 so your mileage may vary):

First you go and make a guitar tone of the kind of "OK to good", but you prolly have those already.

Now you go to the parametric EQ. Go to the highest frequencies there and cut them down almost to Zero. The range of the Pod is much to high for guitars, all these frequencies do is generate hizz.
Now go to the lowest frequencies and play with them until you get enough foundation in your tone.
Go to your amp preset and re-adjust the amp EQ to suit your new parametric settings, in distorted sounds you might also need to up the gain a bit.
Now go to your reverb (if used) and readjust the settings down quite a bit, to get enough reverb anyways add a digital delay with a very short delay time (220ms or so, depending on your play) and add this slightly to the mix to up your roomy sound again.

Now the sound should be a lot better than what you started but not yet perfect.
For clean or slight crunch tones, now go to the parametric EQ again and adjust the frequencies in the middle range. Now this can take quite long to get where you want...
For distorted tones again up your gain or for really high gain add a boost distortion pedal in front of the amp (most of the time I use the tubescreamer) and really crank it up. Then go to the parametric EQ and adjust the middle frequencies slightly... again this might take some time.

Now this is what I do on the X3 basic setup, I have no idea how this might work on an XT as I do not have one.

Now what you can only do on the X3 and what my best sounds are, are multi amp sounds.
I do the setup above 2 times (Tone1/2 of the same preset) then I tune Tone 1 more to the lower frequencies, for tone 2 I sometimes even choose another amp and tune it more for high frequencies. Then I play both tones together and play around with the output to give it a great stereo setup. This plainly sounds amazing and while I have one dual rec in my basement, I cannot afford to play 2 setup like this on stage... The sound is stunning and some people ask me what stacks I have on stage...

Now will this sound better than a real 2 dual rec setup? No, but it is close enough for most people, mainly other guitarists that are really good (nobody posting crap here) might catch it. I have dual tested this from time to time with my real tube amps and even great musicians only could spot the X3 sounds from the original in about 20-40% of the tests.

Is the AxeFx better? Yes I have one and this is what I actually use on stage now with my main band. But I have to say, this is mainly to please the 20-40% spotters that I really like, most people would not get it if I play the X3 or the Axe.

People really like to trash Line6 (I was one of them) as they had really crappy amp modells and modelling in early products. But they listened to customers, they worked with talented musicians and they do really good now. Of course the image will stay for quite some time and several clueless people or those with "golden ears" might still trash you for playing Line6.

Have fun with your Pod.
Hey, i tried out your advice and wow, it sounds much better! one thing i noticed (i am new to amp/cab modeling) is that some heads sound naturally to fizzy or distorted, is there any way to tone this down? hasn't worked too well through the eq :/ and do you recommend any amp models?

Tags
podxt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode