Upgrade P-Ups Jksn Soloist - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Upgrade P-Ups Jksn Soloist

Hey all! I know I have been thinking about selling my Jackson Slsmg Soloist. Truth is not much money right now lol. But I do love my Jackson. Its got great feel, its ultra light and thin fast neck, and its neck thru. The only reason I wanted a new guitar was for a new bridge. As the soloist has a fixed bridge.
Well for now I am thinking about just upgrading the pick-ups. It currently has EMG-HZ's. I love the evo sound. Basically what I want to try and achieve is a good wet tone with good sustain and high output. Something that hits highs great, dont know exactly how to explain it. But like a clear non muddy tone. Like steve vai, I like the tender surrender and bad horsie sound. Then I would like a good p up for distortion rhythm.
I'm playing thru a Boss Gt-6 direct into my pc. Thats how I mostly play. I always thought about getting the evo dp158 and 159 setup. Any suggestions, maybe for my guitar specifically? Thanks and sry for long post \m/ - Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Upgrade P-Ups Jksn Soloist

I have an old jackson too, neck tru, fast neck... And I love it. But my guitar was made of basswood and I think yours is mahogany... wich I think is one of the most complicated woods when you need to upgrade your pickups.

I can tell you that a dimarzio evolution is a great pickup, maybe not for begginers because can show any mistake... But a great sounding pickup. But i'm not sure if is gonna sound good in your guitar, because the wood...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah your right, its mahogany wood. Well It seems like the new model of Jackson slsmg comes with emg 81 85 setup. Aint that some crap haha im ol school i guess. Well i really wanted to go with an evo tone. Plus cheaper than the 81/85 setup ugh. Anyone else able to shed some light on this?
What model Jackson do you have btw? and p-ups u use?
Thanks again \m/ - Josh
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 120

Throw some D-Activators in there, should be good in mahogany.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

I was reading up and some people are saying that Evo's sound good in Mahogany. Im thinking about going that way. Man this guy has evo 2 and evo set on the bay for 100$. I would buy them right now, being broke stinks. But i've mostly decided on those. Ill try them if all else fails i can sell them again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode